Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to black out the chrome strip between the taillights on the back of the Atlas - anyone done this and have any feedback (+ photos)? I have vinyl I was going to use for part of my front grill, but given the lettering - thinking plastidip might be the easier way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can take the lettering off pretty easily. Then the world is your oyster.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that but that'll make things easier. Are they just glued on so a little heat gun I presume would do the trick?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah they are just glued on, no holes under them. Just use minimal heat so you don't wrinkle the chrome. I use a little heat and a piece of fishing line to cut the adhesive, then an eraser wheel to take off the remaining glue (again as little pressure/heat as possible to not damage the chrome).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah they are just glued on, no holes under them. Just use minimal heat so you don't wrinkle the chrome. I use a little heat and a piece of fishing line to cut the adhesive, then an eraser wheel to take off the remaining glue (again as little pressure/heat as possible to not damage the chrome).
Thanks for the tip. I'll post some photos once I get it wrapped up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Planning to black out the chrome strip between the taillights on the back of the Atlas - anyone done this and have any feedback (+ photos)? I have vinyl I was going to use for part of my front grill, but given the lettering - thinking plastidip might be the easier way to go.
You can take off the "ATLAS" badge on chrome strip very easily. Then "wrap" strip. look up DE-BADGE on line

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought it would be cool to wrap it black and then have the letter put back on. Don't know if that is possible or not. Perhaps if the chrome was painted the letters would go back on easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought it would be cool to wrap it black and then have the letter put back on. Don't know if that is possible or not. Perhaps if the chrome was painted the letters would go back on easier.
That would be the best paint free solution. 3M double sided tape can be used for the letters too, it just needs to be cut into shape. Not sure how well would the original glue come off though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts