Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VW atlas 2019 2WD with factory installed towing package.
I am planning to carry a RV trailer (2108DS) that is 4100lb dry weight and less than 5000lb fully loaded.
its a bit heavy - and I would like to get the safest and most robust hitch for my car.
What towing hitch should I consider? I understand that weight distribution hitches are not recommended.... what about GEN-Y The Glyder Series - Torsion-Flex, 2" Shank with Bolt-On 6" Drop/Rise like this ?

(how) can I connect sway control?
...... or should I just go with simple ball?
thanks in advance!

·
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum rutiran :)

Personally I would go with a fixed draw bar, I'm sure a few Members that tow more with their Atlas will soon chime in soon ;)

Again, Welcome !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum rutiran :)

Personally I would go with a fixed draw bar, I'm sure a few Members that tow more with their Atlas will soon chime in soon ;)

Again, Welcome !
Thanks for having me. What is the consideration for fixed vs flexible?

·
264 Posts
Thanks for having me. What is the consideration for fixed vs flexible?
One piece vs two, like I said personal preference ;)

Barry T has brought up what I would consider a major concern in your situation especially from a safety point of view.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't think you can safely tow that trailer with the Atlas. You would really be up against the limits.

Atlas specs (I could find)
GCWR 10,150
Curb weight 4,502 (2019 SEL w VR6 AWD)
Payload 1,113

Trailer
dry weight 4,140
Hitch weight (dry) 410

So, totally empty your hitch weight drops your Atlas payload capacity to 703lbs. That 703 covers driver, passengers and cargo. So even if it is just you and one other person at a combined 300 lbs that means you can only carry 403 lbs of cargo in the Atlas. Put anything in the trailer, propane, cargo, etc, and the tongue weight goes up and your Atlas capacity goes down.

Also, with a GCWR of only 10,150, that limits total payload of both vehicles to 1,508 (10,150-4,502-4,140).

So by my math, here's the max you could do if you could perfectly load and balance the trailer and measure the tongue weight. You could max the trailer at 860lbs to hit the Atlas 5,000lb limit. If you could load the trailer to bring the tongue weight to exactly 500lbs, the Atlas payload is now reduced to 613. So, two adults and a couple of kids and a couple of bags. And you are at the absolute limit per the manufacturers.

I think my math is right but someone more experienced/knowledgeable can correct me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a VW atlas 2019 2WD with factory installed towing package.
I am planning to carry a RV trailer (2108DS) that is 4100lb dry weight and less than 5000lb fully loaded.
its a bit heavy - and I would like to get the safest and most robust hitch for my car.
What towing hitch should I consider? I understand that weight distribution hitches are not recommended.... what about GEN-Y The Glyder Series - Torsion-Flex, 2" Shank with Bolt-On 6" Drop/Rise like this ?

(how) can I connect sway control?
...... or should I just go with simple ball?
thanks in advance!
@rutiran I would second what @Tim K summarizes above. I recently purchased a 3900 pound trailer that I planned to tow with my 2018 2WD Atlas. There's some great information in the "Towing" section of this forum, in particular the thread: Real World Towing Almost 5K - SE V6 4Motion @ 7,500 Feet, with lots of ideas on how to optimize what the Atlas can do. And overall, I think the Atlas is a terrific 5000 lb. tow vehicle, but at the end of the day, the 3900 lb. trailer put it too close to all it's limits.

If you have not already done so, I'd strongly recommend rethinking either your trailer to one that has a dry weight closer to 3000 lbs. or consider upgrading your Atlas to something much heavier duty. It wasn't in my plan, but we decided to upgrade to a full size truck for safety and peace of mind.

I hope my experience helps save you some of the same mistakes. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Again, I'm not a towing expert by any means. I have little to no experience in towing a large trailer. But I've done a lot of reading on the subject here and elsewhere online as we looked into options for a family road trip. My first suggestion would be to find a lighter trailer if you didn't already purchase that one. Alternatively, I would suggest a different tow vehicle as Bill B suggested above.
However, if you already have the trailer and have to tow with the Atlas, there are things I think you can do to make sure you are as safe as possible knowing you are pushing the limits.
1. Add an aftermarket hitch below the factory hitch that attaches to the frame more securely than the factory hitch and which allows for #2
2. Add a weight distributing hitch with sway control.
3. Add airbags to the rear of the atlas.
4. Load the trailer and get an actual tongue weight making sure not to exceed the 500lb limit of the Atlas
5. Weigh your cargo and add the weight of your passengers - don't ask your wife, just estimate! :) - making sure not to exceed the total payload of 1,500lbs combined. Note that the added hitch, airbags, WDH and sway control all add weight and further reduce your payload capacity.
6. Drive your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale and get an actual combined vehicle weight.
7. Drive carefully!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think you can safely tow that trailer with the Atlas. You would really be up against the limits.

GCWR 10,150
Payload 1,113

Trailer
dry weight 4,140
Hitch weight (dry) 410

So, totally empty your hitch weight drops your Atlas payload capacity to 703lbs. That 703 covers driver, passengers and cargo. So even if it is just you and one other person at a combined 300 lbs that means you can only carry 403 lbs of cargo in the Atlas. Put anything in the trailer, propane, cargo, etc, and the tongue weight goes up and your Atlas capacity goes down.

Also, with a GCWR of only 10,150, that limits total payload of both vehicles to 1,508 (10,150-4,502-4,140).

So by my math, here's the max you could do if you could perfectly load and balance the trailer and measure the tongue weight. You could max the trailer at 860lbs to hit the Atlas 5,000lb limit. If you could load the trailer to bring the tongue weight to exactly 500lbs, the Atlas payload is now reduced to 613. So, two adults and a couple of kids and a couple of bags. And you are at the absolute limit per the manufacturers.

GCWR 10,150
Payload 1,113

Trailer
dry weight 4,140
Hitch weight (dry) 410

I think my math is right but someone more experienced/knowledgeable can correct me.
this is super helpful - the VW is stating that The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating includes the weight of the vehicle itself with all of its factory-installed equipment, plus a full tank of gasoline, the engine oil and coolant, all vehicle occupants (150 lbs/68 kg per seating position) and cargo. as the car can sit 7 - how do I account for it?

This is very helpful
. I recently purchased a 3900 pound trailer that I planned to tow with my 2018 2WD Atlas. There's some great information in the "Towing" section of this forum, in particular the thread: Real W

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you team - this is all very helpful
It looks like I am still within the spec when traveling 4 person and partially loaded trailer. but may be taking the car to the limit .
I will try to feel the car with the SD2108 and tell you how it felt
yet - it feels like a good idea will be to upgrade the car soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts