Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new 2019 Atlas. As part of my purchase I got the base carrier bars, as I do a lot of sporting stuff. When installing the bars I noted that the instructions are quite specific and restrictive as to where the bars can be placed. Perhaps the front bar restriction makes sense, but the rear bar placement seems to put the bars pretty close together and I don’t understand why it couldn’t be further back. It would make more sense to have a wider spread when hauling something like a canoe. Is there a reason the placement has to be the way the instructions require?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hi there. Do have a copy of the instructions you can share? I just bought the base bars from the dealership and they did the installation. My first thought is that they looked too far apart and my other thought is why did the charge me $250 for what is seemingly an easy install?

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Hi there. Do have a copy of the instructions you can share? I just bought the base bars from the dealership and they did the installation. My first thought is that they looked too far apart and my other thought is why did the charge me $250 for what is seemingly an easy install?
It should be v. simple/self-explanatory. My base bar adjust my first unlocking the outer cover, pulling it up (it's on hinges), and loosening the allen head bolt and sliding. Easy.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Thanks KarstGeo. That’s what I thought. Mine have a blue turn knob instead of the allen bolt and seems super easy to remove. I’m feeling the installation cost was way excessive. I wish the advisor was upfront about the process.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Ok. So wanted to quickly follow up after double checking my invoice from the dealership. Turns out I was mistaken about the final install cost. Originally the advisor said the install would cost $250, but after looking at the line items the final cost for labor was $125.

Overall they were friendly and great to work with. My mistake on the price. I feel much better now about this and will happily return to them for more accessories and service.

Still curious about the recommender positioning and spacing of the bars.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I just bought a Atlas and the dealership put the Thule bars (Allen Key) on ours. The only issue I can see would be the Front bar with the moonroof/windscreen. I plan on sliding mine to fit my cargo needs . I need to play around with them as the position as of now is pretty noisy. Good Luck and let us know what you find out!

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Ok. So wanted to quickly follow up after double checking my invoice from the dealership. Turns out I was mistaken about the final install cost. Originally the advisor said the install would cost $250, but after looking at the line items the final cost for labor was $125.

Overall they were friendly and great to work with. My mistake on the price. I feel much better now about this and will happily return to them for more accessories and service.

Still curious about the recommender positioning and spacing of the bars.

Thanks
Post a pic of where yours are. The instructions do show where they are supposed to sit (I believe over the B/C pillars).

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Hey I just bought a Atlas and the dealership put the Thule bars (Allen Key) on ours. The only issue I can see would be the Front bar with the moonroof/windscreen. I plan on sliding mine to fit my cargo needs . I need to play around with them as the position as of now is pretty noisy. Good Luck and let us know what you find out! View attachment 1411
As I said above, yours look to be sitting on the B/C pillars which makes sense for load-capacity.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Post a pic of where yours are. The instructions do show where they are supposed to sit (I believe over the B/C pillars).
Here's a pic of mine. Does the position look right? Just called the parts dept at the delership and they're gonna try to scan the instructions for me.

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
Nope - rear is too far back....needs to be over the C pillar (the body pillar between the second/third rows. Pull the front back a touch towards the B pillar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts