Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it was necessary to turn off the Park Distance Control (PDC) button on the lower center console when attempting to back up while the bike rack was installed. This prevents emergency braking(and driver whiplash). I know this was noted on previous posts, but might be useful for new Atlas owners. I also deactivated the Easy Open feature for the trunk lid as while putting on the bike rack I inadvertently opened the trunk lid, scraping it against the rack. I have a 2019 Atlas SEL Premium.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes. I wish there was an easy way to tell the vehicle there's a bike rack installed that would allow you to still use the camera but not deal with the beeping and braking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found it was necessary to turn off the Park Distance Control (PDC) button on the lower center console when attempting to back up while the bike rack was installed. This prevents emergency braking(and driver whiplash). I know this was noted on previous posts, but might be useful for new Atlas owners. I also deactivated the Easy Open feature for the trunk lid as while putting on the bike rack I inadvertently opened the trunk lid, scraping it against the rack. I have a 2019 Atlas SEL Premium.
How did you disable the EasyOpen feature? Is it temporary? And can be reversed, no pun intended…
SB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perhaps insert a trailer plug when you attach the bike rack? This disables several of the rear sensors, but they do not come back when you remove the plug.
I add them back by pressing the end of the turn signal stalk and scroll (on steering wheel) to select the disabled function; then "Ok" on the steering wheel to toggle it back on.
Hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was suggesting inserting this type of trailer plug, thinking the vehicle would disable the alerts activated by the bicycle rack.
However, I just tried this theory on my 2018 SEL-P with my trailer plug and it does NOT disable the alerts. Therefore my initial attempt at a solution is flawed, sorry.
Adapters Wiring | etrailer.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Meanwhile today I put the rack on and went to pick up my bike from getting serviced and after hanging it on my Thule Apex Swingaway, I backed slowly out of a space only to have the car lock up the ABS and scare the living daylights out of me. Thought there was someone I didn’t see in my blind spot but nope it was just the sensor police saving me from my accessories!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meanwhile today I put the rack on and went to pick up my bike from getting serviced and after hanging it on my Thule Apex Swingaway, I backed slowly out of a space only to have the car lock up the ABS and scare the living daylights out of me. Thought there was someone I didn’t see in my blind spot but nope it was just the sensor police saving me from my accessories!
Haha! Chiropractors love that feature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been thinking about a solution to this problem and think I have it.
The Atlas senses the electrical draw from the lights on a trailer. When it sees the trailer (and lights) connected, it disables some of the sensors and alarms.
Therefore, if you have a set of simple lights on your bike rack it should keep the backup sensors from jamming on the brakes and scaring everyone.
Owning a ski boat & trailer I have used the following components that I believe would make a system work (I do not have a bike rack). I grabbed images off Amazon to show the parts
but various options are available. I do not know if using just two LED lights, would provide enough electrical draw so the Atlas will see the “faux trailer” you are making
and disable the sensors.
Per my experience and the Atlas owners manual, the Atlas will give you a signal when using a trailer (See Dash Indicator Pic above VCDS). The Atlas will also throw a code when
A trailer turn signal is out (as mine did) See VCDS Pic.
Perhaps in a few weeks I could build this & test this or perhaps someone else will do that to test if the two incandescent lights I propose will provide sufficient draw
for the Atlas to recognize everything and turn of the sensors.
Total cost is about $60 for the light setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts