Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
At this you point we have a noise that happens only under specific conditions (third gear slow-starts near 1K rpms) that sounds like a pump cavitation due to the TCU mapping not downshifting to second. This has been around since the Atlas was released and they all do it just some louder than others. They replaced your t-converter and it didn't do a thing - I have read of another owner that had his t-converter replaced with the same results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this you point we have a noise that happens only under specific conditions (third gear slow-starts near 1K rpms) that sounds like a pump cavitation due to the TCU mapping not downshifting to second. This has been around since the Atlas was released and they all do it just some louder than others. They replaced your t-converter and it didn't do a thing - I have read of another owner that had his t-converter replaced with the same results.
So what do you suggest a fix to this is? I'm curious. You're throwing some jargon here like pump cavitation due to TCU mapping blah blah...are you suggesting this is acceptable? And what good is saying what the issue is without proposing a solution?

The noise is horrible and should not exist regardless of what the reasoning is. Even if exists in many Atlas vehicles or let's say all of them for example...that doesn't deem it normal. That to me deems it as an issue that should be fixed/resolved.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So what do you suggest a fix to this is? I'm curious. You're throwing some jargon here like pump cavitation due to TCU mapping blah blah...are you suggesting this is acceptable? And what good is saying what the issue is without proposing a solution?

The noise is horrible and should not exist regardless of what the reasoning is. Even if exists in many Atlas vehicles or let's say all of them for example...that doesn't deem it normal. That to me deems it as an issue that should be fixed/resolved.
How do you know there is anything actually wrong? There is no solution...this is per design based on all of the research I've done so either 1) accept this noise the few times a day it happens or 2) loose however much time of your life chasing it with VW to hear that you will end up at 1 unless you sell it. I have chosen 1 and moved on.

The transmission only makes this noise in a v. tight set of conditions; slow to a near-stop, transmission stays in third gear, you accelerate from ~1K rpm....it's just the shift point mapping. If it dropped to second (which you can do manually), you will never hear it. I get the concern, but this has been beaten to death on every internet sit related the Atlas and exactly zero people have had a fix so this leads me to my first comments in this post.

Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does this noise last for more than a few seconds? What about when accelerating moderately from a stop?
Yes, until it reaches (I seem to recall) ~1.8 RPM then it will abruptly stop (the description in the videos I posted may address that). It will always do it under these conditions; the more strongly you accelerate the faster you reach the RPM cut-off where it stops if that makes sense. Bottom line: starting near 1K RPM in 3rd gear will create this noise 100% of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought 2018 Atlas almost two years ago. In last winter, I started hearing the rattling noise when accelerating from low RPM (1000-ish rpm) and even worse when made turning. I brought it to the dealership for the investigation, after test drive with their senior mechanic, he said "heating shell is shifted somehow" confidently. So they spent two hours to re-position the shell (I don't know what they really did on my Atlas, at least that is what I was told and mentioned in service report). The noise has gone since. But unfortunately, the turning rattling noise is coming back recently. Not sure it is caused by the shell shifting again or some other reasons you guys talking about. Anyway, I will let them check it again during the next scheduled maintenance which is probably one month later.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought 2018 Atlas almost two years ago. In last winter, I started hearing the rattling noise when accelerating from low RPM (1000-ish rpm) and even worse when made turning. I brought it to the dealership for the investigation, after test drive with their senior mechanic, he said "heating shell is shifted somehow" confidently. So they spent two hours to re-position the shell (I don't know what they really did on my Atlas, at least that is what I was told and mentioned in service report). The noise has gone since. But unfortunately, the turning rattling noise is coming back recently. Not sure it is caused by the shell shifting again or some other reasons you guys talking about. Anyway, I will let them check it again during the next scheduled maintenance which is probably one month later.
That is most likely not the same issue we are discussing here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks hydroatlas for posting your thread. Thanks to all who are posting on this issue.

From senior to junior members, and Atlas Guests, if you are experiencing this noise, the point is, THIS IS AN ISSUE!! Any way you look at it, this is an engineering fail - albeit may not be causing any mechanical issues, or is it? That should be everyone's concern - owners, dealers, and manufacturer because everyone has something at risk here regardless of the annoyance factor. I personally love my Atlas, and have been drivign in manual mode to get around this - BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO?? Sorry I'm yelling at VW not you the reader :)

So keep posting until VW takes notice and fixes it. The more posts - the more people will know. I've decided to take it to the dealer to get a "Customer Concern" service record on record, suggest all do the same.

VW - If its as simple as a software update, then just do it. Start listening, and then start talking to your customer base!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts