Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... have the new 2019 R-Line atlas ... here is a list of all the issues I’ve had in a year:

coolant leak
TPS sensors malfunction
Technology glitches

most recent : drivers side Wiper malfunction. Dealership “fixed” 2 days later driving from MA to FL for vacation , wiper malfunction. Make it to FL without functioning drivers side wiper. Dealership in FL “fixed “ 12/24. Today 12/28 for a 3rd time driver wiper fails. Currently the Atlas is in service AGAIN . Best part? Family of 5 with 3 dogs stuffed into a loaner Jetta. A Jetta ?! First and absolutely last VW I will ever have. Thank god I leased the junk and can walk away in 8 months .. but who’s counting? ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
What is wrong with your TPMS? There is no sensor to malfunction. What is the issue with the wiper...bad motor? Did you put it in service mode before you raised the hood?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is wrong with your TPMS? There is no sensor to malfunction. What is the issue with the wiper...bad motor? Did you put it in service mode before you raised the hood?
Every light on dash lit up.. it was in for service and was fixed. As I stated above, this vehicle has been in service now 3x for the wiper arm.. it’s at the dealership right now. All parts have been replaced 3x. The picture of the hood up is literally off 95 in the Carolinas 2 days after getting it back and being fixed. I am no stranger to the service department with this piece of junk.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Every light on dash lit up.. it was in for service and was fixed. As I stated above, this vehicle has been in service now 3x for the wiper arm.. it’s at the dealership right now. All parts have been replaced 3x. The picture of the hood up is literally off 95 in the Carolinas 2 days after getting it back and being fixed. I am no stranger to the service department with this piece of junk.
I'm good on the wiper arm issue - I am curious as the specifics of the TPMS issue you had meaning - what specifically did the dealer fix? Should be on the repair order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm good on the wiper arm issue - I am curious as the specifics of the TPMS issue you had meaning - what specifically did the dealer fix? Should be on the repair order.
I can look when I get back.. there was a recall issued regarding it. Something with the computer system. That also happened when we were on vacation last summer.

·
Banned
109 Posts
We also had issues with the TPMS. It would tell us the tires were all low but when I would check them they were fine. It was definitely a software issue because once you reset them from the warning screen it goes back to normal...... until the next time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I
We also had issues with the TPMS. It would tell us the tires were all low but when I would check them they were fine. It was definitely a software issue because once you reset them from the warning screen it goes back to normal...... until the next time
ironically, when I actually had a flat tire the system never warned me.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Just making sure folks understand the indirect TPMS system in the Atlas. This is not the normal system people are used to that has sensors in each wheel. First - car cold/not driven for a few hours, check all tires/set air pressure to 35. Next, get in, turn on vehicle, and go to the tire monitoring screen in the infotainment menu and reset it. If you don't do this, the system will not work correctly and will act wonky. This system works on the ABS system to look at tiny differences in the rotational speed of the each wheel relative to one another...when one gets low, it will be slightly smaller in diameter therefore will spin at a different speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just making sure folks understand the indirect TPMS system in the Atlas. This is not the normal system people are used to that has sensors in each wheel. First - car cold/not driven for a few hours, check all tires/set air pressure to 35. Next, get in, turn on vehicle, and go to the tire monitoring screen in the infotainment menu and reset it. If you don't do this, the system will not work correctly and will act wonky. This system works on the ABS system to look at tiny differences in the rotational speed of the each wheel relative to one another...when one gets low, it will be slightly smaller in diameter therefore will spin at a different speed.
So commuting home an hour and getting the flat tire about a mile from my house didn’t give the system enough time to warm up and compute????

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
So commuting home an hour and getting the flat tire about a mile from my house didn’t give the system enough time to warm up and compute????
Did you do what I listed or have you never touched/set the system up? It only works if you do what I listed....it needs the "zero" set so it knows what to do.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Did you do what I listed or have you never touched/set the system up? It only works if you do what I listed....it needs the "zero" set so it knows what to do.
are you supposed to reset the tire system every time you get in ? example: every morning before leaving for work?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will as soon as I get it back from Service again. You’d think the salesperson or service would have suggested this if indeed it is needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was having TPMS issues on my 09 Liberty till I got new rims/tires. They had gotten "wet" inside the tire and were corroding. But not while it was new. I've taken 4 trips in my 2019 Atlas, last trip was 2800+ miles round trip. Went from cool, to warm, back to COLD weather and though I'm just under 10k miles, not had one issue, yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
He's right. Though I've never had issues, the dealer did this for me because I was had been waiting for the initial delivery of the car (they knew me from my 2013 Passat TDi days so was just jabbering while I waited) and the low profile tires subject came up. I have the 2019 SEL Pri with the black 20inch wheels. Was talking about how corrosion in the rust belt isn't kind on rims and thank goodness for the TPMS. He said they "reset" the monitoring system before delivery. When I asked what was he talking about, it was to calibrate the system because people had issues with the TPMS giving false alerts. Maybe that's why I've not seen any issues? Maybe or just lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts