Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone made any mods to jazz up their interior? I was driving yesterday and felt that the interior is kind of bland. I don't want to it crap up with all the ebay or aliexpress stuff, but it needs something. Too much hard plastic!

·
Registered
68 Posts
don't think anything can be done about the hard plastics...just don't touch them and it will be fine ;) i think interior looks fine as is in its vw simplicity and it would be tough to "jazz" it up without looking silly.

add some stuff like the center console organizer...it fits perfect and actually makes the console useful.

bought from ebay since it was cheaper and its exactly same as above and actually drop shipped from amazon lol

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the same Vesul tray on Amazon, as I was planning to put a wireless charging station in the center console, if I add wireless CarPlay. The tray doesn't fit very well at all and you have to slam down on the armrest to close the center console lid which will most likely crack the plastic over time. I saw some posts about using a Dremel to make it fit properly, but this will probably not look that good either.
The same with the interior upgrade, I don't want an "ebay special", with Chinese carbon fiber tape and stick on knobs. I am looking for a way to soften the stark, bland look. For the same reason, I won't add Weathertech mats, it is a heavy duty, military look and not needed where I live. Maybe I should have bought another Lexus instead.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmm...mine fits perfect and it does take bit more pressure to close the lid but nothing where it has to be slammed .. i'm thinking of adding a wireless charger like this one. it should fit in the storage area below the climate control.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not put it in the console? I can't think of another, better use for the USB in the console. It frees up the cubby below the climate controls for CarPlay, etc. and gets rid of all the wires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
lol post it notes would be one way but it would be nice if it had a reminder like the audi q7 ..those trim looks good on pics but pricey...it will also clash with the dash trim.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what I think would dress up the Atlas. They are custom made car mats from cocomats.com. A little pricey but nice. Now this is quality!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read that the old inserts are difficult to remove.
Anyway, I won’t buy anything on eBay. Their return policy stinks and the product quality is poor. So far, Amazon has not disappointed, but I prefer to buy American where possible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think they skimped out on some trim pieces that would've made a difference in how nice the interior looks. Obviously they could've used nicer fake wood....but besides that, some places just look like trim is missing. In particular, around the headlight switch, around the window buttons, the glove box latch, etc. If you look at these places they have a plain black surround. I think if they had used a matching metallic trim on some of these places it would've looked far nicer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As someone who owns and drives a Touareg daily for over ten years, the Atlas initially felt like a big step back...but then my kids sold my on the cheap plastics because they take a beating and don't leave a mark (and my wife drives it and I still drive the Touareg). I know the hard plastics are not for everyone, but they are nice with three kids and a dog.

My thoughts on the plastic is to find a really good vinyl wrap place and see if they have soft touch vinyl? Did a fast search and it looks like their should be something out there that mimics VW's own soft touch plastic of the past.?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone made any mods to jazz up their interior? I was driving yesterday and felt that the interior is kind of bland. I don't want to it crap up with all the ebay or aliexpress stuff, but it needs something. Too much hard plastic!
Like everyone else, I put a tray in the console, dash and the inserts in the door handles. Though I got the standard floormats, I got the rubber/winter mats, but put in the weather-tech inserts in the front, middle and back. I also added a multi accessory/usb hub and a usb dongle to the usb port in the cubby hole so I can plug a usb drive (poor mans 8-track). got the Car-GO rear deck protection w/place holders and the one that covers the back seat when it's down, along with a deck cover. Last thing I did to the inside was put the protective shield (like on a cell phone) over my screens, both nav and digi-dash. Tossed in some VW rubber cup holder coasters to round out the protection scheme I was going for. Outside, I've swapped out the halogen with LED driving lights. Added carbon fiber door jam protectors, front hood wind/rock deflector, mud flaps and in the rear, I put one of those cross bars (about 18 inches wide) that goes in the receiver hitch in the even someone tapes my rear end, they will be met with a "guard rail". I have a hitch on my Jeep with a 3 ball/1 hook bar that sticks out about a foot. Anyone hits that, they get skewed. I'm thinking of getting some cross bars for the roof but not sure if I want black or brushed aluminium and going to get the windows tinted.

Only had the car for almost a year (this july) and has 9500 miles on it. Not much more I can do that would be useful. In the mean time, about to replace my 1.5 inch lift on my Jeep Liberty with a 3inch lift and 33inch tires. That will about clean out the budget for car mod's this year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts