Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Atlas died while driving. No warning just died. Would no longer start. Had it towed to dealer. So far they say that I need a new Cylinder seal and a camshaft replacement . They still can't start car. Oh and a few weeks ago they had to replace the water pump because it was leaking. I haven't had the car 2 yrs yet. The more I read symptoms I have already signaled a few issues I have had since buying the car all has been brushed off on bad sensors. Obviously its under warranty but i am afraid I have a lemon. What recourse do I have against VW?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jgro1979 ;)

The best place to start is with your states laws as each are different.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Join the club. Call VWofA and open a case. I have a 2019 atlas that has had 6 -8 service visits in the first 12 months of ownership. I should have a decision from VW corp to buy back next week. I have the Coolant come on almost every month the last 3 months but they cant find the cause. so far they have replaced the push button start, replaced front suspension, and replaced the rear climate screen. By far the worst auto Ive ever owned. If they dont do the right thing and buy this POS back, I will be trading it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine also died while at the signal and the Start/Stop function is on and by the time i removed my foot off the gas, the engine just died and wont start but the lights are still on so i never thought of a battery failure. But when someone jumpstart my battery it worked. But when i went to the dealer they just said that when it happens just jerk the steering wheel and it will start or just press the remote start again and it will work. But never tried it. Anyone had this experience? Please share. Thanks

·
Banned
109 Posts
Mine also died while at the signal and the Start/Stop function is on and by the time i removed my foot off the gas, the engine just died and wont start but the lights are still on so i never thought of a battery failure. But when someone jumpstart my battery it worked. But when i went to the dealer they just said that when it happens just jerk the steering wheel and it will start or just press the remote start again and it will work. But never tried it. Anyone had this experience? Please share. Thanks
“Totally normal, just jerk the wheel or press the remote start while you are panicked in traffic. “
-VW Service.

Just like our coolant issue they can’t seem to figure out. They told my wife to drive it with the light on until she can bring it in, don’t fill the coolant tank, and maybe she will be lucky enough to have it blow up.

So many issues with the atlas and they have no answers. The whole model should be recalled

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
You need a new battery, this is all it is. VW has acknowledged battery issues and extended the warranty for them for 3 years/no mileage limit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need a new battery, this is all it is. VW has acknowledged battery issues and extended the warranty for them for 3 years/no mileage limit.
So if its the battery, should i experience a total power failure and no lights at all or not necessarily? First time to experience this. But if my engine died i should have a Check Engine Light on my dash, correct?

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
So if its the battery, should i experience a total power failure and no lights at all or not necessarily? First time to experience this. But if my engine died i should have a Check Engine Light on my dash, correct?
If the start/stop shuts it down and won't start it back up - it's the battery. Call the dealer. No CEL for this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was under the impression that most 2019 production models had the newer battery. The early 2018 models had issues where it was dying at red lights, etc because it the alternator couldn't keep up with the power drain and short runs in the car was killing the battery.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
I was under the impression that most 2019 production models had the newer battery. The early 2018 models had issues where it was dying at red lights, etc because it the alternator couldn't keep up with the power drain and short runs in the car was killing the battery.
Maybe (and you are right, I thought that was only some 2018s)- either way, dealer time. Nobody on this forum is going to solve this. Interestingly enough, I have the battery that had issues and have no drama after 2 years. I also heard that the SELs didn't have the problem b/c we get a slightly larger alternator b/c of the towing package.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I have had the same issue with mine as well ( 2019 VW Atlas R-Line SEL) several times with my granddaughter in the vehicle. I was at the stop light and when the light turned green and I got off the break the engine never restarted. I also still had the vehicle systems seemed to be working, but the engine was not working. I had the message to manually restart the vehicle in the message center, so I had to put the vehicle in park and push the star button to get going again. Both times it happened I had traffic behind me while all other lanes were moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I have had the same issue with mine as well ( 2019 VW Atlas R-Line SEL) several times with my granddaughter in the vehicle. I was at the stop light and when the light turned green and I got off the break the engine never restarted. I also still had the vehicle systems seemed to be working, but the engine was not working. I had the message to manually restart the vehicle in the message center, so I had to put the vehicle in park and push the star button to get going again. Both times it happened I had traffic behind me while all other lanes were moving.
Also, when I stop to back into my garage it goes into the mode again, but all I have to do is retouch the break, but that too is still a hassle.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
That is your battery - time to go to the dealer, it's a warranty item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the battery replaced and it has not happened anymore yet. However, the brake application is new and happened today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If that is normal, I would hate to see abnormal. Not used to a vehicle doing that for no reason on its own.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
If that is normal, I would hate to see abnormal. Not used to a vehicle doing that for no reason on its own.
The stop/start system can take some getting used to - it's seamless to me now and you learn to "control" it...or at least I have. I have also seen where it's v. sensitive w/r to the battery. Can you describe in detail one more time what exactly is happening/the conditions that are causing the drama?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The conditions to backing into the drive way are normal conditions. I come to a complete stop and put the vehicle into reverse and it still goes into the stop and go mode. I have to take my foot off the brake and touch it again to get the vehicle started again to back up. There are also times that it does not do it. That is when I stop and very quickly put it in reverse, which is not normal to me. When it applied the brakes itself there was no reason for it to do that at all. I was coming up on a stop sign and was about to touch the brake and it abruptly did it by itself with the collision light coming on as well. The vehicle was not in danger of hitting anything, I am happy no one was behind me.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
It's honestly jsut how it works - you have to be quick about it OR just touch the button to kill it before you do that. The system is quite "smart" and will not always be consistent as it's monitoring a lot of data/info to determine when it can shut off or not - HVAC use is a big one (power drain). The collision braking can be glitchy or this could have been the maneuver braking system that engages only at slow speeds and feeds off the parking sensors - do you have an SEL?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts