21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Folks. Here are a few details regarding my 2019 Atlas:

• Purchase March 2019
  • Now has Approximately 6K miles
  • Paid Off

I have never done a buyback on any car I've owned, VW is potentially doing a buyback on mine because of concerning issues. Here are some questions and I'll appreciate anyone with knowledge on buybacks to chime in:

• Do they depreciate mileage?
  • Do they also give back money I've spent on tax and tag on the car?
  • I traded in a Pilot towards the Atlas and paid the difference...on a buyback do they only give me the money I paid out of pocket difference I paid?
I contacted VW Customer Care 6 weeks after we purchased our 2019 Atlas regarding fixing the crazy rough and unpredictable accerlation — and after 7 weeks going back-and-forth — NO buyback. I am going to open up another Customer Care number today and try again. We have been VW people our whole lives — never again. This Atlas is terrible. Not even close to what we thought we were getting. Please repost if you had any luck with the buyback, and exactly what the issues were with the car.
thanks so much — Bobareeno (2019 Atlas SE w/4-Motion. 5000 miles in 5 months of driving)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Surprisingly...VW bought back my atlas, paid off all outstanding loans, made me whole on my trade-in and cash down, and while I won’t buy another VW, they also provided me with a voucher for a new or CPO Audi or VW. After it was all said and done I took my refund and got a Volvo XC90 and couldn’t be happier. Best of luck to everyone on this forum, keep pushing, don’t back down, make sure VW understands it’s not just about cost of repair but also potential threat of injury to yourself those that may be In the car with you (I.e. your family) and those around you on the road that are unaware of an issue that may disable your vehicle at any moment. Though a long and brutal process they came through and made me whole. Stay safe and healthy out there.
OMG — my hats off to you for being persistent and getting VW to follow-through with the buyback!! I went through "round 1 - 7 weeks" with VW Customer Care to no avail. I am calling them back today to try again. This Atlas SE w/4-Motion is a terrible (terrible) car to drive at low speeds. We bought that car for my wife to drive, and she won't drive it!!! I am going to read-through all of your posts to see what you did and then proceed.
Thanks!! Bobareeno

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wha

What/how did you get in your 2019? Did it cost you anything additional? I’m on the 2nd step of a buy back for a 2018 SEL with transmisión issues. All I’m getting is someone will call or email me to discuss next steps but no one has provided me anything concrete.
Hello JoeyMatz!
You may no longer be visiting this site, as you were successful in getting VW to follow-through with a buy-back!! Good for you!!! If I were you, I would never look back towards VW, which is sad – they used to produce such great cars. If you still visit this site, can you help me out with just a little more info on the circumstances leading up to the buyback? I have gone through round 1 with VW Customer Care, and might start round 2 this week. During these stay-at-home days, I have driven the Atlas very infrequently, but when I do — I hate it. $44K new car that drives terrible, almost dangerous at lower speeds.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bobareeno (2019 Atlas SE w/4-Motion. 4950 miles)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Outstanding responses and input everyone, I appreciate it! Please see my thoughts and additional info below; I've quoted each comments...

What were your issues?

My state does have a lemon law on new cars (which mine is). The dealership replaced my torque converter and it still makes a very loud sound when I accelerate. I have told VW that I will wait and see what their verdict is on buyback, and that if needed I will indeed be contacting the state's consumer affair department.

Good points. I have been respectful (although also heavy handed when needed). For example VW Corp and the dealership said that the sound and component is under allowable tolerances of how the car is manufactured and for its intended use...however I gave firm pushback and said I disagree and they need to revisit decision. VW Corp is actively looking at the case again and said they will let me know on decision by no later than end of this month...

I disagree, of the course the "rattle noise" can win me this...know why? Because it isn't just a "rattle noise"; its a noise coming from my Torque Converter. The noise is coming from metal on metal; it is not normal and will directly affect my transmission.

What was the issue with your Atlas that caused them to buy it back?
Can I ask who you contacted at VW about the buy back? I am unable to get in touch with anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Surprisingly...VW bought back my atlas, paid off all outstanding loans, made me whole on my trade-in and cash down, and while I won’t buy another VW, they also provided me with a voucher for a new or CPO Audi or VW. After it was all said and done I took my refund and got a Volvo XC90 and couldn’t be happier. Best of luck to everyone on this forum, keep pushing, don’t back down, make sure VW understands it’s not just about cost of repair but also potential threat of injury to yourself those that may be In the car with you (I.e. your family) and those around you on the road that are unaware of an issue that may disable your vehicle at any moment. Though a long and brutal process they came through and made me whole. Stay safe and healthy out there.

Im so happy someone benefit and VW responded. My 2018 has been at the dealer since January 31st 2020 and as for today they don't have the part they say has to be manufacture in order to fix my unit. They also came back to me saying they will not buy back my unit or replace it. For safety issues I no longer want this unit that they cant even fix. I been paying for this car for 5 months and according to them I just have to keep waiting until it can be fixed. In Puerto Rico we don't have lemon law, I ran it through state consumers affairs to see if I have any luck. Keeping my fingers crossed. To this date they haven't even given me a clear diagnostic on the unit. Worst company ever!!! Hate dealing with VW.

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
Im so happy someone benefit and VW responded. My 2018 has been at the dealer since January 31st 2020 and as for today they don't have the part they say has to be manufacture in order to fix my unit. They also came back to me saying they will not buy back my unit or replace it. For safety issues I no longer want this unit that they cant even fix. I been paying for this car for 5 months and according to them I just have to keep waiting until it can be fixed. In Puerto Rico we don't have lemon law, I ran it through state consumers affairs to see if I have any luck. Keeping my fingers crossed. To this date they haven't even given me a clear diagnostic on the unit. Worst company ever!!! Hate dealing with VW.
What specifically is wrong with it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi sir, I appreciate your reply and input; as I do value it.

Let me ask you something, if the noise is coming due to transmission mapping (logic)...doesn't that mean that improper mapping such as the car being in the incorrect gear and hanging onto that gear for longer (thus creating the sound)...doesn't that mean that noise (even if from cavitation) is not normal? I get it that there is an explanation for the noise, I'm not looking for that.

What I'm looking for is what I should deduce from that sound...should I deduce that the sound is a warning that if present long enough; it will add to wear and tear earlier than normal on warrantable components? The real concern being if things happen OUTSIDE warranty.
Let me ask you and some of the other Atlas owners who concerns are from a technical standpoint with the feeling the noise could ruin the mechanics of the vehicle long-term. That aside what if you were assured that the noise would not ruin the value, fuel economy, performance or operation of the vehicle, what if you were just left with the noise. Now the question is the noise acceptable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Use Sport mode and the noise goes away, right? So, I don't think that it's a a stretch to assume that since the car goes through all the gears without the noise in Sport mode, everything works fine. Move on or trade the car in or it is going to drive you crazy..

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much of a voucher did they give you to buy VW or Audi? We like the Q7, but will never buy an Atlas again. Very poorly engineered car. Will be lemon law soon with how many days and times in the shop. Our issue is related to the Adaptive Cruise Control, Maneuvered Braking locking the vehicle up. Bottom line is they had to order a new Engine Control Module for a vehicle that has 8,200 miles. Air conditioning went out first and has been in the shop consistently since the first issue came up. We are just trying to figure out what the heck to do b/c we have been looking at new vehicles, but don’t feel like we can do anything until the buy back is done. We are now coming up on week 2 of 6 weeks according to Region Case Manager.

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
How much of a voucher did they give you to buy VW or Audi? We like the Q7, but will never buy an Atlas again. Very poorly engineered car. Will be lemon law soon with how many days and times in the shop. Our issue is related to the Adaptive Cruise Control, Maneuvered Braking locking the vehicle up. Bottom line is they had to order a new Engine Control Module for a vehicle that has 8,200 miles. Air conditioning went out first and has been in the shop consistently since the first issue came up. We are just trying to figure out what the heck to do b/c we have been looking at new vehicles, but don’t feel like we can do anything until the buy back is done. We are now coming up on week 2 of 6 weeks according to Region Case Manager.
Is the AC fixed/what is it doing? What does the ACC do wrong? The maneuver braking is going to do that in certain situations, I actually just turned mine off b/c I don't want to have to creep into my driveway each time I come home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AC is fixed on the vehicle. The manufacturer installed the line incorrectly. Took them 10 days to repair. When we received the vehicle back from the AC issue and 2 recall items, the check engine light came on the same day we got it back. Apparently they didn’t get something tightened correctly, so we said whatever. Literally 1-2 days after we got the Atlas back from the shop with the check engine light, while my wife was driving on the interstate with Adaptive Cruise Control engaged, it suddenly turned off and all the warning lights came on. Could not re-engage the cruise control. After turning the vehicle off we were able to get it to operate again, only temporarily until the lights all came on again while trying to engage the adaptive cruise control. Took it into the shop 3 times prior to our trip to the lake. The dealership said it was fine to take to the lake and had a 4th appointment to get looked after our return. While in route on the trip the ACC worked for about 210 of the 425 miles trip, when the ACC lights all popped on and would not work for the remainder of the trip. Drove 65-70% of the trip without cruise control. This time the lights would not go away when we turned the vehicle on or off. Nonetheless it is still in the shop today waiting for the Engine Control Module to ship from Germany. No ETA on when we are supposed to get. We have met 1 lemon law requirement for being in the shop 4 times for the same issue. We are getting close to meeting the 40 day rule for days in the shop within first year of ownership, currently at day 28. Do not recommend this vehicle. Will not put my family at risk for faulty engineering.

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
The AC is fixed on the vehicle. The manufacturer installed the line incorrectly. Took them 10 days to repair. When we received the vehicle back from the AC issue and 2 recall items, the check engine light came on the same day we got it back. Apparently they didn’t get something tightened correctly, so we said whatever. Literally 1-2 days after we got the Atlas back from the shop with the check engine light, while my wife was driving on the interstate with Adaptive Cruise Control engaged, it suddenly turned off and all the warning lights came on. Could not re-engage the cruise control. After turning the vehicle off we were able to get it to operate again, only temporarily until the lights all came on again while trying to engage the adaptive cruise control. Took it into the shop 3 times prior to our trip to the lake. The dealership said it was fine to take to the lake and had a 4th appointment to get looked after our return. While in route on the trip the ACC worked for about 210 of the 425 miles trip, when the ACC lights all popped on and would not work for the remainder of the trip. Drove 65-70% of the trip without cruise control. This time the lights would not go away when we turned the vehicle on or off. Nonetheless it is still in the shop today waiting for the Engine Control Module to ship from Germany. No ETA on when we are supposed to get. We have met 1 lemon law requirement for being in the shop 4 times for the same issue. We are getting close to meeting the 40 day rule for days in the shop within first year of ownership, currently at day 28. Do not recommend this vehicle. Will not put my family at risk for faulty engineering.
The ACC issue appears to be somewhat common for vehicles that had the catalytic converters swapped out as part of that service campaign. My 2018 just had this done with no issue with the ACC (used it yesterday for 400 miles) and I think it seems to be with the 2019s from reading the forums/FB pages. Has to be an ECU/box code thing as several have reported needing new ECUs. Keep in mind that while your experience has sucked, the majority of owners have had no drama like this/no serious issues like myself. Best of luck with the buy back, be persistent and yes, this is much easier if you meet your state's lemon law requirements b/c it's easier to push VW on it when you know you can fall back on it. Have all your paperwork/documentation to a "T". Have you started a case with VW Customer Care?

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are two Tesla's in our family and they have issues. I have owned Hondas and Acuras, the transmissions suck and wouldn't buy another. Toyotas are probably the best engineered, but when Toyota wanted $4400 to replace my 4Runner exhaust from the cat back, I traded it in and bought an Atlas. Corvettes, etc. Nothing is perfect and technology has allowed cars to get cheaper over the years, if you consider the standard features added. For example, you can't change the filter in the transmission anymore on most cars, there isn't one. It has been eliminated to reduce cost. Automakers are going to buy parts from China or a third world country at a fraction of the cost to stay competitive and stay in business, which benefits you, the consumer. The main difference is the warranty. If it breaks during the warranty period, they are obligated to fix it. Find a good dealership and if they can't fix it, my advice is to find another. You can probably use this forum to ask for dealer recommendations in your area.
BTW, although not perfect, my Atlas has not given me any problems, just some annoyances.

·
Super Moderator
511 Posts
There are two Tesla's in our family and they have issues. I have owned Hondas and Acuras, the transmissions suck and wouldn't buy another. Toyotas are probably the best engineered, but when Toyota wanted $4400 to replace my 4Runner exhaust from the cat back, I traded it in and bought an Atlas. Corvettes, etc. Nothing is perfect and technology has allowed cars to get cheaper over the years, if you consider the standard features added. For example, you can't change the filter in the transmission anymore on most cars, there isn't one. It has been eliminated to reduce cost. Automakers are going to buy parts from China or a third world country at a fraction of the cost to stay competitive and stay in business, which benefits you, the consumer. The main difference is the warranty. If it breaks during the warranty period, they are obligated to fix it. Find a good dealership and if they can't fix it, my advice is to find another. You can probably use this forum to ask for dealer recommendations in your area.
BTW, although not perfect, my Atlas has not given me any problems, just some annoyances.
Well said and v. true. Actually, there is a filter in the Atlas Aisin 8-speed auto - you remove the pan when you service it to access it. I plan on DIY'ing mine when it hits the 80K service mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my current situation. I have had this noise for months and it’s been in the shop for more than 3 times to resolve this. End links replaced... link arm replaced and steering gear replaced. They actually think it’s the steering gear again. Yet it was just replaced in April. 9000 miles. The issues started around 5000 miles. In the middle of a buyback. Will know more in a few weeks.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts