Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Huge VW fan here, and recently just created an account. Hope to interact and chime in with you guys and gals! Just recently bought a new Atlas CrossSport 2.0T with 4motion in SE trim. My goal is modify it lightly for light off roading/camping etc. If anyone have any questions of how it drives let me know! Question for you, it comes with the stock 18x8s. According to my reading from tire resources, I can only max out a 245/60/18 tire. Would it be safe and ok at 265/60/18 and 20mm spacers all around?

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I'd join the Atlas FB group(s) - tons of info on tire fitment there. 265/60 is only a 30.5 vs. the 29.5 so ~1", these will fit fine without spacers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a heads up spacers will stress the suspension much more for the offload part event if its light so expect to deal with some early issues, unless you upgrade the shocks then maybe you won't. Just save the headache and buy the wheels and tires to your liking with the offset you want, I know its very expensive but you can offset the cost by selling your OEM wheels and at least get some money back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you really want to throw off your speedometer and odometer?
I’m really hesitant about this also. I know that my speedometer and odometer will be off. I wonder would this throw off my 4motion system also. I wanted to keep my original wheels since aftermarket wheels can be so expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a heads up spacers will stress the suspension much more for the offload part event if its light so expect to deal with some early issues, unless you upgrade the shocks then maybe you won't. Just save the headache and buy the wheels and tires to your liking with the offset you want, I know its very expensive but you can offset the cost by selling your OEM wheels and at least get some money back.
that’s a good point. I’m worry about early failure with the 20mm spacers. I saw Blackforest Industries’ Atlas and I liked the rugged and flush look. But the aftermarket wheel is expensive. I totally forgot that I could sell my original tires and wheels to help offset the cost. The bad news is, I made a mistake and ordered the
spacers and tires already ?

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
10-15mm spacers are not going to stress anything more vs. wheels with more offset. Pass-through hub-centric spacers that are used on VWs (as long as you get the corresponding longer lug bolts) are perfectly safe - these aren't the type of spacers with lugs built in that don't pass through the hub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-15mm spacers are not going to stress anything more vs. wheels with more offset. Pass-through hub-centric spacers that are used on VWs (as long as you get the corresponding longer lug bolts) are perfectly safe - these aren't the type of spacers with lugs built in that don't pass through the hub.
Yes these are the pass through spacers with out built in lugs. I chose these over those other types. Thanks for the info, from your other comment, I went ahead and ordered a ObdEleven from ECS. They’re having a sale.
I have an off topic question, I was outside yesterday looking at the vehicle, and what bothers me is the fake exhaust outlet. I understand why they did it, but ughhh. I noticed that it is possible to put dual tips on each side. I might have to custom some type of heat shield and watch out for any types of electrical components. Any you know did something like this?

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Yes these are the pass through spacers with out built in lugs. I chose these over those other types. Thanks for the info, from your other comment, I went ahead and ordered a ObdEleven from ECS. They’re having a sale.
I have an off topic question, I was outside yesterday looking at the vehicle, and what bothers me is the fake exhaust outlet. I understand why they did it, but ughhh. I noticed that it is possible to put dual tips on each side. I might have to custom some type of heat shield and watch out for any types of electrical components. Any you know did something like this?
There have been some that have messed with it - join the Atlas FB page(s) and do some searching around/asking. They don't bug me on a vehicle like this.

On your OBDEleven, here is what you will need to change:

It's trial and error - you need to have Waze up (or whatever that shows speed by GPS) and compare to your speedo and change these until you get one that matches up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There have been some that have messed with it - join the Atlas FB page(s) and do some searching around/asking. They don't bug me on a vehicle like this.

On your OBDEleven, here is what you will need to change:

View attachment 1229

It's trial and error - you need to have Waze up (or whatever that shows speed by GPS) and compare to your speedo and change these until you get one that matches up.
Thanks for all you help!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am a little confused with this larger tire project.
Usually as the rim gets bigger, your tire sidewall gets smaller, so the overall diameter remains the same. I believe the 21 inch Atlas tire option works that way, larger rim, smaller sidewall. There are a lot of variables and safety systems that come into play here when you change diameter, such as ABS brakes, etc. Please be careful.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I am a little confused with this larger tire project.
Usually as the rim gets bigger, your tire sidewall gets smaller, so the overall diameter remains the same. I believe the 21 inch Atlas tire option works that way, larger rim, smaller sidewall. There are a lot of variables and safety systems that come into play here when you change diameter, such as ABS brakes, etc. Please be careful.
He stated in the OP that he was thinking of going from a 245/60/18 to a 265/60/18 - 29.5" to a 30.5" overall diameter. What you are after is when you move up a wheel/rim size (plus sizing) and conversely drop the sidewall aspect ratio to keep the overall diameter the same. Running slightly larger tires is v. common and perfectly safe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I understand that, however, he could save himself a lot of grief by plus sizing the rim, which is the way that most everybody does it.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I understand that, however, he could save himself a lot of grief by plus sizing the rim, which is the way that most everybody does it.
I'm still confused by your response. He has 18s. He wants larger tires while sticking with 18s so he pushes up to a 265/45 to gain an 1" of overall wheel+tire diameter which raises the vehicle by ~1/2".. Wheel size isn't part of this discussion. What would plus sizing do for him in terms of running larger diameter tires? Plus sizing is to get bigger rims while maintaining the same/similar overall wheel+tire dimeter which doesn't appear to be his goal here.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm still confused by your response. He has 18s. He wants larger tires while sticking with 18s so he pushes up to a 265/45 to gain an 1" of overall wheel+tire diameter which raises the vehicle by ~1/2".. Wheel size isn't part of this discussion. What would plus sizing do for him in terms of running larger diameter tires? Plus sizing is to get bigger rims while maintaining the same/similar overall wheel+tire dimeter which doesn't appear to be his goal here.
It's very simple. I don't know nor do you have the indepth knowledge of all the safety ramifications of upsizing the wheel diameter. Also, there are no assurances that using a GPS and an OBD11 will dial in all safety aspects , including ABS response, etc. In addition, for liability reasons, LuLuVW will most likely have a hard time getting someone to install the tires.
I called a local tire place and he said, "**** no!".

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
It's very simple. I don't know nor do you have the indepth knowledge of all the safety ramifications of upsizing the wheel diameter. Also, there are no assurances that using a GPS and an OBD11 will dial in all safety aspects , including ABS response, etc. In addition, for liability reasons, LuLuVW will most likely have a hard time getting someone to install the tires.
I called a local tire place and he said, "**** no!".
Putting a slightly larger tire on a vehicle isn't particularly controversial or dangerous - if this was such an issue nobody would do it and you wouldn't see so many vehicles running around with non-oe sized tires. I'm sure LuLuVW can do his homework and find out what he needs to know. I just had new tires mounted up on my Golf wagon, larger/non-oe size wheels as well as non-oe tire size (wider and slightly larger overall). No drama at Discount Tire - just have to tell them you understand they are a non-oe tire size. Changed the speedo with OBDEleven. Good luck LuLu, may the force be with you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts