Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner here. Been lurking for awhile, but finally joined to ask the question. Searched but didn't see a thread. Have a new 2021 SE w/Tech AWD with approx 1400 miles. Got a call from my wife that the error in the title popped up and didn't know what to do. We live about 1.5 hours away from the nearest dealership. She called that one and the guy a first told her just to ignore it as it was probably a tire pressure warning. She called me back telling me this and I told her to look in owners manual. In the manual it mentions that if the SOS button is lit up red (like ours is along with message) it has to be serviced right away. She called dealer back again and he said there is a "known issue" with those buttons, but they are on back-order and she'd have to talk to parts to get one ordered. She was transferred to parts who told her they would not order until she came in for them to look at it first. (I understand this, but my wife does not and is mad at having to drive 1.5 hours away for them to look at, and then schedule for her to come back with another 1.5 hour drive up again.) Anyway, it appears that it is still safe to drive for a couple days before we can make it up there, but thought I'd check the collective group and see if anyone else has experienced this. The dealership we bought from 2.5 hours away told her the same thing ...

While the owner's manual says to stop driving immediately, I don't think we necessarily need to have it towed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let us know what happens. I was leary of buying a German car because of things like this that require going to the dealer. We just got one so I am still learning all the features. My 4 year old asked me about that SOS button and I told him never to touch it or the police would come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm unfortunately having the same issue with my 2021 SEL. The day after I drove it off the lot I was dealling with this SOS issue. It happened while I was on the way back to the dealership to bring them my trade-in's owners manual, if you can call that a plus. I was told they then addressed it by pulling the fuse, which apparently refresh/reboots the module and then sent me on my way. Brought it home and the very next day it's on again, not happy and they know it. I was told they have the module in stock, so hopefully replacing it will fix the issue, if they ever call me back. I will let you know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She called the dealership where we bought the car and they were more willing to help. They put a service guy on the phone with her and got her to take some pics and went back and forth a little bit. They said they thought they knew what the problem was and would order the part. They did say they were back ordered like the first dealership, but said they’d call when it came in to have her bring it up. Just a pain to drive it 2.5 hours to fix, but ... luckily, it seems to be coming back on and off intermittently on its own. We haven’t done anything, but today it was green. Yesterday on about a 20 mile drive, it started green, then switched to blinking red, then solid red and then green again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine just did the same thing this morning while taking my kiddo to school.
I tried calling the dealership while driving, but that error is disabling my phone.
I can call, and I can hear them, but they can't hear me.
And I don't have time to leave my vehicle "until they figure it out" with no loaner vehicles!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am at the dealership right now for the same thing. Happened while I was driving called the dealership, they acted like they did know what I was talking about . It disabled my phone ( I could hear them but they could not hear me ). So here I am waiting because it is my only vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem this morning. VW service walked me through it. If my Bluetooth was connecting to my 2020 Tiguan, it caused the SOS to light up. AND, I could receive and hear calls, but they could not hear me. Per VW, I disconnected the Bluetooth and it all works fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having this same issue. Started last night in my 2020 Atlas Cross Sport SEL. Called the dealership and have a service appointment next Tuesday. They said the described problem requires a drop off. Having the same experience as others where the microphone is not working due to the issue. The light by the SOS button is off. Not red or green, just no light at all.

·
Registered
2021 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
21 Posts
Just had this issue happen on 2021 SEL. Called dealer, they immediately said they were seeing issues with the CarNet module and advised that a replacement modules was the next step. I am number 8 on the backorder list for the module, so will update once it comes in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's strange this is happening to quite a few of us within a day of each other. I noticed my Bluetooth was acting up yesterday (no one could hear me when they called unless I turned off my Bluetooth) and then I got the SOS warning light today. It intermittently comes on and off throughout the day. I received a call back from VW service and they said it was a known issue, bring it in and they'd provide me with a loaner for the day. They mentioned I'd have Bluetooth issues until it was fixed. I have a 2021 SEL with about 1,400 miles on it and I'm hoping this is a fluke issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this? I have a new Atlas Cross Sport SEL Prem R-Line wth ~1500 miles, and I am on and off getting the error "SOS Emergency Call function deactivated", and the green light turns off. It said to get the car serviced. Next time I drove it, I didn't get the error code. I chalked it up to living in a spot with low service, so I thought the SOS emergency function just couldn't get a signal. I am wondering if I should get it serviced, did anyone get their's fixed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. After initially telling me it was a known issue, I received a text that said "there are no current faults in the system and no current software updates. The technician performed a reset and coding of both the radio and carnet module." Basically they just did a reset and didn't fix anything because it wasn't showing the error when I brought it in (comes off and on randomly). I'm just waiting for it to happen again. If it does, I would assume they'd replace the control module like other posters. I find it very interesting that this is happening to many of us around the 1,400 mile mark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a friend who has the same problem that I had with her 2021 Atlas SEL that I had with my 2020 Tiguan SEL...I gave her the steps given to me by my VW dealer (in post above, and see below) and it fixed her problem as well.

"Had the same problem this morning. VW service walked me through it. If my Bluetooth was connecting to my 2020 Tiguan, it caused the SOS to light up. AND, I could receive and hear calls, but they could not hear me. Per VW, I disconnected the Bluetooth and it all works fine now."

·
Registered
2021 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
21 Posts
Just had this issue happen on 2021 SEL. Called dealer, they immediately said they were seeing issues with the CarNet module and advised that a replacement modules was the next step. I am number 8 on the backorder list for the module, so will update once it comes in.
View attachment 1564
Update 11/27/20 - had the vehicle at the service center for another issue and was reminded that the module is still on backorder, but when it comes in to make sure both key fobs are with the vehicle when it comes in to have the module replaced, as they are required for reprogramming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A month after the dealer couldn't find any issues and did a reset to fix, it happened again as I expected. I brought it into the dealer to show them the issues first hand and this time I got an educated service tech who ordered a new control module which they're putting it in next week. He said it's a very well known issue on 20/21 Atlases and replacing the control module has worked on every vehicle he's service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So we finally got the carnet module replaced today from my original post 4 months ago. They said we’d most likely have to leave the car overnight, but we dropped it off around 10am and they called to say it was done 3 pm. Seems to be working now, and have others have said, we had to have both keys there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue on my T-Cross (2020).
It occured after disconnecting the plug over the heater/climatic(manual airco).
The dash prompted an arbag warning and SOS emergency system (e-call) error.
This was very quickly reset by dealer (with VAG.com equipment) no defective module and at no costs..
A wise leason: dont disconnect the buttons over the airco module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the same problem this morning. Driving this morning and suddenly I get the "SOS Error Message". I took my 2020 SE Atlas Cross Sport (only 7400 miles) to the dealership and was told that it was a Car-Net issue however they scheduled me a service appointment for next Tuesday to see if they can diagnose the problem. WHAT? In the meanwhile I was told that the vehicle was safe to drive however I would not be able to utilize anything connected to Car-Net i.e. AppleCar Play, Navigation, Hand-Free Phone etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 70 plate Seat Leon 1.5 - the SOS light came on mine (intermittently at first) and is now a permanent feature. It’s less than 4 weeks old and under 300 miles.

I took it to a local Seardealer who have told me that the manufacturers haven’t done the correct pre-delivery setup and want to charge £180 as it’s not covered by warranty. This doesn’t sound right to me as the fault occurred gradually.

The car is provided by work and owned by a leasing company so I have picked it up from the garage without any of the work being completed.

The infotainment system is stuck on loading, and I can’t use any features other than climate control and parking aids.

My two pennies is - the e-sim is unable to connect to anything outside which interrupts the startup.

Anybody any suggestions on how I can convince the dealer they are wrong?

They claim to have never seen the problem before yet it is well documented amongst VW/Skoda.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts