Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the forum, so hope my post is well placed and helps others. Specifically, I have a Dashcam set (front and rear cam). I previously had it installed in my Jeep Cherokee. The front camera runs 2 cables. One to the 12v power up-front and a second cable for power/data to the rear cam. To install the second cable, I ran it from below the rer-view mirror, up and under the front windshielf trim and all along the trim on the ceiling (removed weather stripping). Took a little while to fish it through, but made it to the back of the car and it worked out well. With the Atlas, I cannot even get the A pillar trim off to get the first cable around and down. I about broke my finger pulling the weather stripping out from inside the door well...was a beast to get it back in place after too. So 2 specific requests:

1. What are the best inexpensive tools out there for what I am trying to do?
2. Any guidance on the process? (if and where to route said cables to the back?)...assuming this is feasble to start with!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That does help a little, though my ones needs to run all the way to the back on passenger side too.

Also, any particular tool kit recomendation? Did you only nees that one pry bar for the whole install? I'll watch it again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Once you get down the A- pillar I think it would be pretty simple to get to the back. typically you can just tuck wiring right underneath the plastic door sill on the carpet side without even removing it. I just checked mine and I can get my fingertip underneath the door sills no problem. I know I've seen several videos of Atlas installs where they got the wires down the A pillar without much trouble. Most go down the driver's side to access the fuse panel but the passenger side should be similar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. That does help a little, though my ones needs to run all the way to the back on passenger side too.

Also, any particular tool kit recomendation? Did you only nees that one pry bar for the whole install? I'll watch it again.
I have a similar kit to the one below which would be very helpful.

You should be able to pry the pieces out just enough to fit the wires in no need to remove the whole piece, just my 2 cents on that matter.

For the rear dash cam I have been trying to figure out what route to take since the ceiling liner is so tight you have no space to work with and the only solution would be is run the power the 12V cigarette lighter in the rear but I'm all about hiding the wire so you would have to remove a bunch of pieces in the back to hid all the wires. Its too cold right now and don't really have to look to much into this more since we just had our second baby. The plan is to do this in the summer, keep me posted on your progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a similar kit to the one below which would be very helpful.

You should be able to pry the pieces out just enough to fit the wires in no need to remove the whole piece, just my 2 cents on that matter.

For the rear dash cam I have been trying to figure out what route to take since the ceiling liner is so tight you have no space to work with and the only solution would be is run the power the 12V cigarette lighter in the rear but I'm all about hiding the wire so you would have to remove a bunch of pieces in the back to hid all the wires. Its too cold right now and don't really have to look to much into this more since we just had our second baby. The plan is to do this in the summer, keep me posted on your progress.
Thanks for the link. I would have just used the rear 12v port, though need to run the cable for data. I will update once done. Hope you get some sleep (second baby!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts