Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always felt that the headlight switch just looked odd, like it was missing something. The black plastic surround in the black dashboard just seemed like they cheaped out at VW. Ordered this surround from Aliexpress for like $9 to see how I like it. It came as polished aluminum that didn't match, but I found a Rustoleum spray can that was pretty close to the trim color. Since all the trim is mounted at different angles, the light hits them all differently anyway so even a perfect match would look slightly different.

I don't know how I feel. Still on the fence. Kind of looks like an afterthought....but before it looked like it was missing!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously we all know what the switch looked like to begin with....but for comparison.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like the before better, but I generally am of the "less is more" mindset. If you like it that's what matters, but it does look like something that could have come either way from the factory, so maybe you are on to something.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the after. The indent around the headlight switch looks like a trim piece is missing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am experimenting with black titanium inserts from Ali Express. Clearly, the door handle inserts look much better than the stark OEM look. However, I want to separate the black titanium on the door handle inserts and the lower (gear shift) console. Also, I was thinking of covering that cheap wood effect on the dash and doors, but don't know if it will be too much. My major concern is the fit,
Anyway, this is what I am thinking, I would appreciate your comments.

before.jpg after.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am experimenting with black titanium inserts from Ali Express. Clearly, the door handle inserts look much better than the stark OEM look. However, I want to separate the black titanium on the door handle inserts and the lower (gear shift) console. Also, I was thinking of covering that cheap wood effect on the dash and doors, but don't know if it will be too much. My major concern is the fit,
Anyway, this is what I am thinking, I would appreciate your comments.

View attachment 1374 View attachment 1375
I like the "after" look, did you end up leaving it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the "after" look, did you end up leaving it?
Yes, I kept it and I also got a piece for the heater section which I haven’t put in yet. I think it looks much better than the stark OEM look. There are a lot of custom pieces available from AliExpress, but with the covid, delivery is taking an extra month or two. Some add-one are nice and some look a little trashy.
I am going to add some exterior chrome pieces to the mirrors and door bottoms at a later date. I prefer the shiny chrome to the blacked out look (personal preference).

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SE w/Tech & 2014 VW Jetta SEL w/Fender Audio
43 Posts
I am glad to see someone try the black titanium trim pieces. I was considering the door handle ones and the headlight switch piece. They do look great but I don't know how well they will look with all the gloss black SEL/R-Line trim pieces I already installed. I have the climate control panel swapped and the radio surround so they are no longer matte but the gloss black pieces from the SEL/R-Line. I would like to get the side vents to be gloss black as well but the one on the right looks to be the whole dash trim piece. I really only need the vent. The vent on the drivers side is like $13 and worth it but I am not spending $62 for the one on the right especially when it comes with so much unnecessary pieces. I plan to get gloss black vinyl to do the shifter bezel. Also looking to get the R-Line badge for the bottom of the steering wheel. :unsure:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Outside of your pictures of the door handle trims, I am considering these trim pieces to kind of tie the look together.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like it. I think the black titanium complements and softens the look of the hard, black plastic interior. Where did you buy from? Can you post the links? I bought through Ali Express. I've had zero complaints with them. I was looking at the center console cover in black titanium but wasn't sure of the durability. I have a black titanium cover for the AC knobs but I am not sure if I like the fit over the existing OEM cover. I definitely will order the headlight switch cover. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like it. I think the black titanium complements and softens the look of the hard, black plastic interior. Where did you buy from? Can you post the links? I bought through Ali Express. I've had zero complaints with them. I was looking at the center console cover in black titanium but wasn't sure of the durability. I have a black titanium cover for the AC knobs but I am not sure if I like the fit over the existing OEM cover. I definitely will order the headlight switch cover. Thanks for posting.
I have yet to purchase any of these parts but they are all from eBay saved in my favorites on there. I will say the cover for the shifter surround will not work because it is shaped for the euro cup holders and it simply will not fit. I did swap out the radio surround and climate surround with the OEM gloss black pieces that come standard on SEL and R-Line models. I am thinking about swapping some black titanium in to add a bit of a general theme in the car. Most likely just going to do the dash panel and the door trims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts