Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time driving in slush and snow, the front sensors got coated with slush/ice and the ACC fault lights came on.....and the ACC quit working. ( understandable). HOWEVER!!!~!! the regular Cruise Control is then ALSO disabled!. I am hoping that someone who is really good with the OBD Eleven has worked out a way to separate the 2 systems. I mean, WHY??? What do the sensors have to do with Non Adaptive CC? Any wisdom will be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The first time driving in slush and snow, the front sensors got coated with slush/ice and the ACC fault lights came on.....and the ACC quit working. ( understandable). HOWEVER!!!~!! the regular Cruise Control is then ALSO disabled!. I am hoping that someone who is really good with the OBD Eleven has worked out a way to separate the 2 systems. I mean, WHY??? What do the sensors have to do with Non Adaptive CC? Any wisdom will be appreciated.
I've wondered this myself going into my 3rd winter in the Colorado high country. It's useless at times without being able to disconnect from the front sensors!

·
Registered
2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion
44 Posts
That was my reaction at first as well! But if you stop and think about it, most any time your sensor gets coated, you most likely shouldn't be using cruise control either... it's dangerous to be using cruise control if its snowy or icy. (which is typically when your sensor gets covered.) So it does make sense that VW would have it work that way... it protects the driver from himself in much the same way traction control, abs and the whole suite of safety tech does. The only place I can see where this doesn't apply (beyond the time when your sensor got coated earlier but the road is clear now...) is occasionally I have had issues with ACC throwing a fault related to the sensor and I needed to get it recalibrated to get it going again... it would be nice to have normal cruise control then! But on the other hand, the chances of me rear ending someone would go up as well since I've gotten so used to ACC instead of normal CC... I don't know? it seems like its likely a safety related decision on VW's side?

·
Registered
37 Posts
That was my reaction at first as well! But if you stop and think about it, most any time your sensor gets coated, you most likely shouldn't be using cruise control either... it's dangerous to be using cruise control if its snowy or icy. (which is typically when your sensor gets covered.) So it does make sense that VW would have it work that way... it protects the driver from himself in much the same way traction control, abs and the whole suite of safety tech does. The only place I can see where this doesn't apply (beyond the time when your sensor got coated earlier but the road is clear now...) is occasionally I have had issues with ACC throwing a fault related to the sensor and I needed to get it recalibrated to get it going again... it would be nice to have normal cruise control then! But on the other hand, the chances of me rear ending someone would go up as well since I've gotten so used to ACC instead of normal CC... I don't know? it seems like its likely a safety related decision on VW's side?
I wish I could like this response 1000 times!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I wish I could like this response 1000 times!!!
I am 71, NEVER had an accident in 55 years of driving........although been rear ended by a texting girl . There is absoutely NO reason for the ACC and and regular CC to be interconnected. The **** alarms go off at every stop when there is a white line across the road....Drives me nuts!. Cannot turn off the system. Cannot use cruise when the road is only wet and dirt/slush covers the sensors. I don't need nor do I want Ralph Nader in my back seat. I'll be working with OBD Eleven to disconnect the 2 systems. Anything one man does can be undone by another.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 71, NEVER had an accident in 55 years of driving........although been rear ended by a texting girl . There is absoutely NO reason for the ACC and and regular CC to be interconnected. The **** alarms go off at every stop when there is a white line across the road....Drives me nuts!. Cannot turn off the system. Cannot use cruise when the road is only wet and dirt/slush covers the sensors. I don't need nor do I want Ralph Nader in my back seat. I'll be working with OBD Eleven to disconnect the 2 systems. Anything one man does can be undone by another.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can delink the ACC from the front radar sensor. If you do you will very likely always get the warning bells and whistles. It's not just VW that does this, almost all car makers these days have some sort of integrated cruise control. I don't necessarily disagree that they shouldn't be able to be delinked, I'm just not sure the software will allow it. What VW should have done is install a sensor with a small heating element in it so that snow and ice don't accumulate on the sensor. THey've been doing that in aircraft for years, no reason why they can't do it in cars. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think you can delink the ACC from the front radar sensor. If you do you will very likely always get the warning bells and whistles. It's not just VW that does this, almost all car makers these days have some sort of integrated cruise control. I don't necessarily disagree that they shouldn't be able to be delinked, I'm just not sure the software will allow it. What VW should have done is install a sensor with a small heating element in it so that snow and ice don't accumulate on the sensor. THey've been doing that in aircraft for years, no reason why they can't do it in cars. I wish you luck.
Tesla has the heating element also. Im not looking to delink the ACC from the sensors....I want to delink CC from ACC.

·
Registered
2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion
44 Posts
While I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, I’d dare say a large majority of vw aren’t as experienced a driver as you. I’d suggest that a fair amount of VW owners (a fair amount of drivers in general tbh) haven’t driven a vehicle without traction control and abs… so it does make sense to have cruise control become disabled when there is slush on the road to protect those who don’t understand the dangers.
I am sure there is a way to do it… however I am guessing that’s similar to being able to disable the stability control… (I want that off for the silly reason of wanting to be able to do a donut in a wide open snowy parking lot… 🤷‍♂️) I know it can be done but I don’t know how and the people who know how don’t share how because of liability issues…

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, I’d dare say a large majority of vw aren’t as experienced a driver as you. I’d suggest that a fair amount of VW owners (a fair amount of drivers in general tbh) haven’t driven a vehicle without traction control and abs… so it does make sense to have cruise control become disabled when there is slush on the road to protect those who don’t understand the dangers.
I am sure there is a way to do it… however I am guessing that’s similar to being able to disable the stability control… (I want that off for the silly reason of wanting to be able to do a donut in a wide open snowy parking lot… 🤷‍♂️) I know it can be done but I don’t know how and the people who know how don’t share how because of liability issues…
LOL, On our Jetta, the stability control could be turned off with a botton/switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. This drives me crazy, especially on long road trips. I get it and agree when ACC isn't available b/c of snowy, icy, or super wet conditions...def. a bit dangerous for cruise control. But when the roads are bone dry, temps below freezing, and lingering moisture from sun melt kicks up and refreezes on the sensors, it all shut off. As said elsewhere, heaters to keep the sensors free might help. That said, out here in the PNW, a bit of rain with road grime buildup and same thing happens. Frustrating...🤷‍♂️

1 - 10 of 10 Posts