Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Observed something pretty concerning yesterday, my first time driving our 2021.5 SEL in the rain. Got out on a state highway, set the adaptive cruise at 60, settled in behind another vehicle and... all of a sudden the "lock-on" symbol in the gauge cluster disappeared and we began accelerating towards the car in front! So I braked, waited for the symbol to return, set cruise again... behaved for a minute or two and then the same thing happened. Driving the rest of my trip without cruise control, I observed the symbol continually appearing and disappearing. To be clear, we're talking about having a vehicle less than 100 feet in front of us, in a very light rain shower. Thinking it may have been a temporary glitch, I paid attention on the return trip later and observed the same behavior in the same weather conditions. There was never any error message displayed in the gauge cluster, and we don't use remote start given the known ACC issue there. Today, in sunny and clear conditions, no issues with adaptive cruise on a long-ish highway and interstate drive.

All I can figure is either VW adaptive cruise is very unreliable in the rain, which I doubt, because my older Mazda with what I would consider less refined driver assist systems has no trouble with adaptive cruise even in a heavy downpour, or there's some issue with calibration or water getting in a connection somewhere in the system. Has anyone else observed something similar in wet conditions, or does your adaptive cruise work fine in the rain? I had my wife record a video where you can simultaneously see what's going on in the gauge cluster and where the vehicle was ahead, and will try to get that off her phone and uploaded soon.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts