Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my case the warranty covered the cost of re-alignment, although I had few other issues also come up.

I also made the mistake of adding WDH for first two trips but I switched to using these two

I put mine in the raised position as my trailer is off road editions and is 3 inch above. Although the manual says the hitch must be in drop position, but if you look at every safe towing guide, it insist that the trailer and vehicle must be level as possible.

In regards to the auto disabling, I find all the lane assist features gets disabled as soon as the car detects the trailer. I will need to check of front assists gets disabled or not.
Ha, even though mine was still under warranty I was specifically told that 'alignments' are not covered under warranty.

I have a similar reciever but use a standard ball. Agreed that it's important to keep the vehicle and hitch as level as possible. I've also considered some airbag inserts.

Trailer is parked for now so something I'll look at come spring time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do recommend purchasing the rocker ball mount. It kept the shaking down considerably. It needs some maintenance but it is a good affordable alternative to a WDH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my Atlas back from the dealer. They needed to recalibrate the sensor found in the VW Logo on the grill. Apparently the screws that hold my grill on were loose and the vibration of the loose grill knocked the sensor out of calibration. I suspect the tech that performed the catalytic converter recall on my vehicle last week had to remove the grill for some reason to do the job and was careless when they replaced it.
Hi There, I had the exact same experience here like yours, "Front assist is not available" warning comes up right after the catalytic converter recall service....and I am having the same suspicion that it is from the careless job.... I brought the car in today and now they told me the front grill needs to be replaced and then sensor needs to be re-calibrated. What a waste of time...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I spoke to the other two service writers when I picked up the vehicle. They both stuck to the same story. And I believe it even less. They claim that the ACC uses both the radar sensor in the grill and the forward camera. Ok, I can almost buy that though I don't know why ACC needs anything beyond the radar unit. BUT, they claim that somehow the camera is calibrated so that if the rear wheels are tracking out of alignment that the system will not work and an alignment must be performed and the sensor and camera recalibrated.
I just don't see how a camera and radar sensor could possibly detect that the vehicle is tracking out of alignment. I'm going to call multiple dealers.
I got the same story yesterday. Service Advisor showed me the alignment printout and the right rear was out of alignment (Camber -1.85 deg vs required spec of -1.50 deg). Not surprising given the number and depth of potholes around here. 4 wheel alignment, front assist calibration and $240 (CDN) later, everything works. Road trip this weekend, we'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke to the other two service writers when I picked up the vehicle. They both stuck to the same story. And I believe it even less. They claim that the ACC uses both the radar sensor in the grill and the forward camera. Ok, I can almost buy that though I don't know why ACC needs anything beyond the radar unit. BUT, they claim that somehow the camera is calibrated so that if the rear wheels are tracking out of alignment that the system will not work and an alignment must be performed and the sensor and camera recalibrated.
I just don't see how a camera and radar sensor could possibly detect that the vehicle is tracking out of alignment. I'm going to call multiple dealers.
So all those systems do work together, ACC and lane assistance being the one that utilizes all of them. So if one sensor is messing up other functions may still work properly but the one that utilizes all sensors will not.
I have done a deep dive into this with all the issue I have had.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts