Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My car is a 2018 vw Atlas SE with technology, in the past 3 days have been showing all accessories warning lights when cold start. After turning the car off and back one everything returns to normal.

Have anyone experienced a similar issue? I called the dealer and they gave me an appointment in 2 weeks!

Please see the video

·
Registered
38 Posts
A weak battery can sometimes cause erroneous warning lights.

Does cranking seem more anemic than usual ?

Battery life span is normally 3 to 5 years, so if you have the original battery, it may be reaching the end of its life. I changed my 2018 SEL-P battery a year ago. The Atlas and other newer cars put a heavy load on batteries with all the electronic systems and accessories.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your answer
I took it for battery diagnosis and they said it is fine, but I will look in to the battery again. That was my original impression. I cleaned a dirty ABS sensor see if that helps.
I will keep you updated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After several hours from being parked, i restarted the vehicle and all the lights popped back, measured the battery and the voltage was 12.46v

I will replace the battery but I was reading that the battery has to be adapted or coded

Is there an easy way of replacing the battery? I don't have odb11, I have an ancel bd500 but don't seam to have this function?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t have your particular issue…yet. But I have had my battery checked and it is going bad. I tried going to the typical places to get it replaced (Sams, AutoZone, etc.), but none gave me confidence that they can register the battery properly. Twice I heard, we have the equipment but it would be my first time doing it. So I’m going to the dealership, $319 was the quote.
I personally think the start/stop is hard on the battery. I have been using that more lately hoping to save gas.
It is surprising me that the battery lasted less than 5 years.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL
1 Posts
I am currently having an issue that may require a wheel alignment. I was told by VW that if I have it aligned I should have all the driver assist sensors recalibrated to the tube of $770. Have you had an alignment recently?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t have your particular issue…yet. But I have had my battery checked and it is going bad. I tried going to the typical places to get it replaced (Sams, AutoZone, etc.), but none gave me confidence that they can register the battery properly. Twice I heard, we have the equipment but it would be my first time doing it. So I’m going to the dealership, $319 was the quote.
I personally think the start/stop is hard on the battery. I have been using that more lately hoping to save gas.
It is hard on the battery and think that is why mine died just past 3 years. There was a known issue with batteries for some 18/19 models. I often wonder if mine was one but somehow it didn't get flagged or assigned to my VIN (just like the known coolant leak issue wasn't). When VW were replacing batteries for that issue they were installing AGM ones,which are supposed to be better for high-demand electrical systems that have functions like stop-start. The dealership didn't offer that to buy so I got it at the auto store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello

My car is a 2018 vw Atlas SE with technology, in the past 3 days have been showing all accessories warning lights when cold start. After turning the car off and back one everything returns to normal.

Have anyone experienced a similar issue? I called the dealer and they gave me an appointment in 2 weeks!

Please see the video

After several hours from being parked, i restarted the vehicle and all the lights popped back, measured the battery and the voltage was 12.46v
Q
I will replace the battery but I was reading that the battery has to be adapted or coded

Is there an easy way of replacing the battery? I don't have odb11, I have an ancel bd500 but don't seam to have this function?
UPDATE
Replaced the battery with a 70ah AGM, did the adapting procedure, and next morning same issue.

The strange part is that this only happens when cold after starting the car turning it off once everything goes back to normal and remains until it cools down

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE
Replaced the battery with a 70ah AGM, did the adapting procedure, and next morning same issue.

The strange part is that this only happens when cold after starting the car turning it off once everything goes back to normal and remains until it cools down
UPDATE

Replaced the rear left abs speed sensor, erased the codes and it all whent back to normal.
The solution was easier than expected

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. Thank you for the update. What led you to the sensor replacement?
Read the Ecu and one of the codes (had several) read "rear left speed sensor incorrect component installed" the rest were Can Bus erros, starting from Air Conditiining, Steering Column... you name it...

Deleted all codes have been 48 hrs and all working fine so far.

·
Registered
2020 VW Cross Sport SEL
35 Posts
I always turn the start/stop off. I don’t want to replace the starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is ridiculous...

Not only did mine do nearly the exact same thing last week, but every sensor/light triggered, including a msg about the driver side door contact failing, which proceeded to open my rear left window 30% of the way down. ALL WHILE I WAS DRIVING.

THEN, as if it couldn't get worse...As I was driving and slowing down in traffic, it attempted to activate my e-brake which jolted me forward, which triggered the 7th or 8th msg at that moment, saying..."hill assist failure"

This felt like a complete meltdown of the ECU, and I tried to do the old trick of removing the negative for a period of time hoping to 'reset' the car, but nothing worked. Calling the dealer now...

Any advice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My suggestion is buy a scanner, codes are very specific. In my case was rear left wheel speed sensor this is what i bought from Amazon for $114 "Scanner "
I don't think clearing the codes by removing the negative is a good idea, since you need them for diagnosis.
if I had the scanner before would've saved me the cost of the battery replacement

1 - 20 of 22 Posts