Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the AC is running and the car shuts off automatically, the cold air coming from the AC vents gradually becomes less and less cold within about 10 seconds. The increase in temperature becomes pretty noticeable if i am stopped for longer than that, and I am assuming it's because the compressor isn't running during the time the car is in auto shutoff mode. I live in Phoenix AZ, and I am wondering if this will cause the temperature inside the car to become uncomfortable during the summer days when it's 104+ (We get about 3-4 months of those). I have the 2L base model (2019) without any of the smart climate stuff, just a manual knob. Has anyone else experienced this with their Atlas? Wondering if this is by design and if there's a way around it without having to manually turn off the auto shutoff/start each time.

thanks!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
With no engine power the AC isn't really running. It is just the fan blowing across the coils....so it is just residual cooling. It will not stay cool for long in full sun at a long red light. In those conditions it may be best to turn the Auto Stop/start off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Alternatively, if you don't want to forego auto start/stop completely, the brake pedal and steering wheel both trigger engine restart....and it is a very light trigger. The easiest thing to do if you feel it getting warm is just nudge the wheel slightly or let up on the brake pedal lightly and the engine will re-start and you'll get AC back.

·
Super Moderator
569 Posts
You won't get cooling if your engine isn't running which of course is different than heating which can operate for a period after the engine is shut off (see "REST" feature). The stop/start system is v. smart and will cut back on when it senses the cabin temp is rising too much. Also, if your AC is on "max" it will not shut off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the AC is running and the car shuts off automatically, the cold air coming from the AC vents gradually becomes less and less cold within about 10 seconds. The increase in temperature becomes pretty noticeable if i am stopped for longer than that, and I am assuming it's because the compressor isn't running during the time the car is in auto shutoff mode. I live in Phoenix AZ, and I am wondering if this will cause the temperature inside the car to become uncomfortable during the summer days when it's 104+ (We get about 3-4 months of those). I have the 2L base model (2019) without any of the smart climate stuff, just a manual knob. Has anyone else experienced this with their Atlas? Wondering if this is by design and if there's a way around it without having to manually turn off the auto shutoff/start each time.

thanks!!
That's the downside to the shut off feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm, interesting. If that's the case I think they should have offered a way to permanently turn that auto off feature off. Oh well. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know what you mean. It's the **** emissions thing. Instead of a default on. It should be default off, with the option to turn it on. Especially when you go through a cat wash in neutral, do not forget to turn it off. It will shut off and not turn back on when you place it in drive. I learned the hard way..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts