Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - We have a 2019 Atlas SEL that has 31,000 miles on it. We bought it in late 2019, so we drove it during three winters in the northeast. The last section of the catalytic converter (see photo) is very much rusted. There are a lot of rust flakes on the floor right beneath that section. Have others noticed this? I can understand the wear tear in the northeast with snow, ice, salt, etc., but I would have thought this would not have this much rust in three years. Our other cars (from different manufacturers) while we lived in the same place lasted 8-10 years without any catalytic converter or exhaust replacements. I would imagine VW would not cover this under warranty because they will say wear and tear. Do you think Any ideas for what I should do? Have others experienced a similar issue?

Thanks a lot for your guidance in advance!

White Product Font Automotive exterior Line

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry message got cut off while I was trying to post the image. I meant to say:

Do you think this would be covered under warranty since it happened so quickly? Any ideas for what I should do? Have others experienced a similar issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the pipe at the end joins the resonator? Not the actual cats? Is it just surface rust? Best to include a pic.
Now that I look at the photos, it is actually more than just at the end near the resonator. Please see several photos. I hope the photos are helpful. Do you think this is just surface rust? Is this normal after three years? Our Tiguan is also three years old and there is no such rust on that one.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Automotive tire Leg Human body Wood Hood
Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Wheel
Wood Bicycle saddle Automotive exterior Fender Vehicle door
Hood Grille Wood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Leg Wood Fender Synthetic rubber Automotive tire
Shoe Synthetic rubber Hood Automotive parking light Automotive tire
Shoe Helmet Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Synthetic rubber Grille Fender Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I look at the photos, it is actually more than just at the end near the resonator. Please see several photos. I hope the photos are helpful. Do you think this is just surface rust? Is this normal after three years? Our Tiguan is also three years old and there is no such rust on that one.

View attachment 2943 View attachment 2944 View attachment 2945 View attachment 2946 View attachment 2947 View attachment 2948 View attachment 2949 View attachment 2950 View attachment 2951 View attachment 2952
Brown Glove Sleeve Grey Safety glove
Arm Human body Automotive tire Wood Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Fender Wood Automotive exhaust Cylinder

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line
12 Posts
Sorry message got cut off while I was trying to post the image. I meant to say:

Do you think this would be covered under warranty since it happened so quickly? Any ideas for what I should do? Have others experienced a similar issue?
Isn’t the exhaust system stainless steel? If it is, there should be no rust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the pipe at the end joins the resonator? Not the actual cats? Is it just surface rust? Best to include a pic.
About the only thing you're going to be able to do is get metal brush and brush it really well and use high temp paint on it. That will make it last a **** of a lot longer use Rust-Oleum. I have a Jeep I did like that and it worked out great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts