Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another "6 Things You Need To Know" article but this one is for the new VW Atlas and it's coming to you from MotorAuthority.

It's really not all that interesting but it's worth the quick browse over.

2. Underneath, it's not an Audi or a Porsche

Don't think of the Atlas as the replacement for the Touareg. VW has signed the Touareg on for at least another year in America (after all, the company's executives need something to drive to work). But the Touareg starts right where the Atlas ends, at about $50,000. The Touareg is basically a Porsche Cayenne built down to a price, which isn't a bad thing. But, as we all know, nobody (other than those executives) has been putting Touaregs in their driveways here (although it's quite popular in Germany).
6 things you need to know about the Volkswagen Atlas

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think this is also something to look at for those that aren't familiar. If you've driven a GTI before, you can tell what the power range will be like and the progression of the band.

1. Underneath, it's a GTI

Well, kinda. The Atlas rides on VW's sophisticated scalable MQB architecture. VW aims to milk MQB for all its worth—which it should, since it spent about the GDP of the Dominican Republic developing MQB. What makes MQB unique is that it can be stretched and shrunk in every direction. Moreover, the Atlas' base 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder, which we haven't yet driven, has also been plucked from the GTI. In this application, it's rated at 235 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. But most Atlases (including any with all-wheel drive) will instead use the brand's smooth but thirsty 3.6-liter V-6, an evolution of the VR6 line that dates back to when each VW division had its own engines.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This was my first real look at the 3rd row and so far space seems to be impressive, not that I was expecting something compromising but now I have a real visual confirmation:

Hopefully my 6+ foot friends won't have an issue with space back their

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The middle row is adjustable I believe so just in case, you can always move around and re-configure the positions of the seats to suit the company joining you

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for letting me know but so far it seems there's enough space for an average sized 6 footer to get back their. Might take some of making themselves small but still practical at the end of the day. Glad that VW didn't make these seats any bulkier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts