Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did the rotors again, last time was at ~20K. Combo of heavy vehicle and all short-trip/around town driving as well as my wife being a cautious drag your brakes a lot driver. I had swapped out the pads last time as well to decrease dust and the Centric Posi-Quiet pads don't dissapoint on that front...they look nearly new at 41K and the dust is almost non-existant. Last time did the Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors from Rock Auto...about $200 for the set. This time did the VW/OE rotors from FCP Euro for about the same price. I can do the rotors/pads in the front in an hour taking my time, v. easy DIY. Brakes feel new again...no more vibration from the pad deposits. At least now going through FCP the rest going forward are free/nearly free (return shipping...but even some of that is covered b/c I use Paypal) with their lifetime replacement. We had the same issue with our Odyssey...multiple set of rotors from deposits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did the rotors again, last time was at ~20K. Combo of heavy vehicle and all short-trip/around town driving as well as my wife being a cautious drag your brakes a lot driver. I had swapped out the pads last time as well to decrease dust and the Centric Posi-Quiet pads don't dissapoint on that front...they look nearly new at 41K and the dust is almost non-existant. Last time did the Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors from Rock Auto...about $200 for the set. This time did the VW/OE rotors from FCP Euro for about the same price. I can do the rotors/pads in the front in an hour taking my time, v. easy DIY. Brakes feel new again...no more vibration from the pad deposits. At least now going through FCP the rest going forward are free/nearly free (return shipping...but even some of that is covered b/c I use Paypal) with their lifetime replacement. We had the same issue with our Odyssey...multiple set of rotors from deposits.
We had 70,000 miles on our Atlas before we had to change the brakes. I think the problem is the drivers not the vehicle. No vehicle I've ever owned have we had to change the brakes in less than 60 to 70,000 MI. Sounds like you must be 2 ft drivers instead of using one foot for gas and brake. You're not supposed to use both feet one for gas and one for break

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We had 70,000 miles on our Atlas before we had to change the brakes. I think the problem is the drivers not the vehicle. No vehicle I've ever owned have we had to change the brakes in less than 60 to 70,000 MI. Sounds like you must be 2 ft drivers instead of using one foot for gas and brake. You're not supposed to use both feet one for gas and one for break
I thought the driver-influence bit was spelled out clearly in my post and you must have missed this isn't a pad wear issue but a pad deposit issue on the rotors. Nobody I know drives with two feet in an auto but thanks for the hot tip. Also please do us all a favor and spell brake correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts