Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night is was dumping rain and my wife went to park our Atlas (2019 w/ 4 motion) in an area on our property that can get a bit muddy at the entrance. Well, the front tires sank into the mud a bit, and she couldn’t get the car to move. She came into the house and told me the car was stuck. I went out to see that the back tires were on solid ground, and the front ones were sunk in about 3” of mud (not that bad).

I’ve 4 wheeled, driven Humvees in the Army through awful terrain, so I’m not inexperienced, and thought there was no way a car capable of 4 wheel drive could be stuck in this. But, sure enough, the Atlas couldn’t get out. The back tires wouldn’t even turn. Only the front tires were spinning. I tried setting her car to the off road setting, and even tried the snow setting when the off road one didn’t work. Nothing worked, and I couldn’t get the back tires to move.

I ended up having to get a shovel and dig the Atlas out of 3” of mud like a regular front wheel drive vehicle.

I’m trying to figure out if the 4 motion is not working on her car or does it really suck this badly?

·
Super Moderator
78 Posts
Any warning lights on the dash?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
You just need to take it in to the dealer and have it checked. The 4Motion system is really called Haldex and it works by a pump activating and pushing hydraulic fluid into a clutch that expands in the rear end allowing the r. wheels to have power. Sounds like it's not working. While the Atlas can't send more than 50% of the available torque rearward, it should have been able to get out of this if working correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You just need to take it in to the dealer and have it checked. The 4Motion system is really called Haldex and it works by a pump activating and pushing hydraulic fluid into a clutch that expands in the rear end allowing the r. wheels to have power. Sounds like it's not working. While the Atlas can't send more than 50% of the available torque rearward, it should have been able to get out of this if working correctly.
I suppose this is what I will do.

I don’t necessarily trust my dealer. The dealer didn’t even know that the brake control plug for the tow package is hidden behind the trim and has to be fished out. They denied there is even a plug. I had to send them the information I found showing how to find the plug for the brake control unit.

And yes, they are a local but big name VW authorized dealer.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
I suppose this is what I will do.

I don’t necessarily trust my dealer. The dealer didn’t even know that the brake control plug for the tow package is hidden behind the trim and has to be fished out. They denied there is even a plug. I had to send them the information I found showing how to find the plug for the brake control unit.

And yes, they are a local but big name VW authorized dealer.
Ideally, you hvae a scan tool (OBDEleven, VCDS, etc.) and have a look - quite possible there is a fault code stored that won't show as a CEL. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts