Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there has been much written on this topic in other threads, but after reading all of them I still find myself going back and forth daily on whether to buy the camper we want, a larger 3650 lb. (empty) R-pod with a 435 lb. tongue weight, or to pass on it as too close to the limits for my 2018 FWD SEL Atlas. I'm confident that we could keep the trailer 500-600 lbs under the stated 5000 lb. tow rating, but as we live in SoCal, with plenty of hills I'm concerned that it would be close enough to the limits that it might deter us from fully enjoying our potential purchase, or that it might keep us closer to home than I'd really prefer.

So apologies for redundancies with any other threads, but I'd really appreciate thoughts from those you who have something close in weight to this. Would you buy this trailer or pass as something too close to Atlas towing limits? @alramos ? @Llaw ? @whitevw ? @Adrian B ? @Roklobstr ? Others...?

I'm really on the fence -- thanks in advance for insights or perspectives. I really appreciate all the great information that so many of you take the time to put on this forum. It's incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know there has been much written on this topic in other threads, but after reading all of them I still find myself going back and forth daily on whether to buy the camper we want, a larger 3650 lb. (empty) R-pod with a 435 lb. tongue weight, or to pass on it as too close to the limits for my 2018 FWD SEL Atlas. I'm confident that we could keep the trailer 500-600 lbs under the stated 5000 lb. tow rating, but as we live in SoCal, with plenty of hills I'm concerned that it would be close enough to the limits that it might deter us from fully enjoying our potential purchase, or that it might keep us closer to home than I'd really prefer.

So apologies for redundancies with any other threads, but I'd really appreciate thoughts from those you who have something close in weight to this. Would you buy this trailer or pass as something too close to Atlas towing limits? @alramos ? @Llaw ? @whitevw ? @Adrian B ? @Roklobstr ? Others...?

I'm really on the fence -- thanks in advance for insights or perspectives. I really appreciate all the great information that so many of you take the time to put on this forum. It's incredibly helpful.
435 lbs TW seems to calculate on the empty TT;what is the cargo capacity? I suspect a heavier TW when TT is loaded. What is the payload of the fwd Atlas? Is there an OEM hitch or installing an aftermarket? If purchasing and being a FWD only, I would be inclined to use WDH to put weight back on the front axle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
check my post on the other thread. it was one time rental and i'm not sure if its 100% tow related but i would think hard before towing a travel trailer again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
435 lbs TW seems to calculate on the empty TT;what is the cargo capacity? I suspect a heavier TW when TT is loaded. What is the payload of the fwd Atlas? Is there an OEM hitch or installing an aftermarket? If purchasing and being a FWD only, I would be inclined to use WDH to put weight back on the front axle.
It's the 5000 lb OEM tow package/hitch, and I think you're right on the TW. It would likely be close to the 500 lb limit with one propane tank and battery, but probably not over as long as I load the trailer carefully. The FWD Atlas will handle a combined tow weight of 9920 lbs, so I'd have just over 1900 lbs available for passengers and cargo between the vehicle and the trailer. I'm confident I can keep my "stuff" below this weight limit, I just wish there were a bit more margin.

I know what you mean on the WDH. I was trying to avoid since VW says no, but at a minimum I would be using a friction bar for sway control. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check my post on the other thread. it was one time rental and i'm not sure if its 100% tow related but i would think hard before towing a travel trailer again.

Thanks, sidewinder. I wonder if others have seen similar issues with alignment and loss of adaptive cruise and front assist? I appreciate the heads up on this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts