Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Atlas SEL 4Motion 3.6. ~30K miles/3 years old this month. So far, here is where we are/my experience:
Overall mpgs are around 18 with a mainly short trip/stop/go/city use. Best on a trip was about 25 (real, calc’d, not the readout). VW says 17-23 so based on my use and calcs, certainly reasonable but I’d say the only time you will see mpgs in the 20s with the 3.6 is if you drive purely on the highway. I’ve seen pure winter around town tanks at 14. The readout is about 8% optimistic if you compare to hand-calcs and you can adjust this using OBDEleven as well as enable the “gallons to fill” which can be helpful for the overly conservative gas light/miles to empty.
Total cost of maintenance has been $915. 4x oil changes/tire rotations at the dealer. 1x cabin filter (DIY). 2x f/r wipers (DIY). 1x front brake rotors/pads (DIY). I run a K&N drop-in filter and it should be good for 50K until it needs to be cleaned. ~$300/year…not bad!
4x service campaigns and 3x recalls, none of which were drama/required more than overnight stay at the dealer. I just had them taken care of when it needed an oil change which is the most convenient way to handle it and none were emergencies that had to get done immediately. Not surprising to me for a first-year run of a vehicle or a VW in general.
2x minor warranty claims/repairs – cracked console armrest and resetting the d. side memory seat module that lost sync.
I will put tires on it this year as the stock Contis are at 6/32” and I don’t run them past 4/32” so almost there, likely at 35K which is v. good for OE tires. No uneven wear. I’m guessing it will need a battery by next year and I may pre-emptively change it out so it doesn’t strand my wife based on the issues with the 2018 batteries. I will DIY the 30K/3 year service items namely the brake fluid flush and Haldex awd oil change which are both straightforward/I have the tools/skill to handle.
Lingering issues. Slight vibration around 80mph - my guess is tires so will find out soon enough and we don’t often drive this vehicle much more than 70 – was going to get them re-balanced but not worth it if I’m replacing them this year anyway. Coolant loss. I’ve monitored it closely and I’ve never had it go empty, just a slight drop over time that seems to level out about halfway in the overflow tank then I top it off with some Pentofrost G13. I plan on having them have a look next time it’s in to pressure test it/document it but unless it does more than this, I’m not worried about it. I don’t get a strong coolant smell like others have reported.
Paid ~$42K before TTL in Jan 2018 and KBB private party/excellent condition (I don’t trade in vehicles) today is ~$29 so ~13K over 3 years (~31%), depreciation doesn’t seem bad to me/normal. I keep cars a long time and it’s paid for so not really a concern anyway.
Just an objective ownership experience post, not eveyrone has major issues/drama. Really like it and glad we bought it – perfect family hauler/do-it-all vehicle and with the 6/72 warranty, should be a low-ownership cost vehicle for 4 more years beyond basic maintenance/wear and tear items. We'll keep it for a long time as we will start the process of our 3 boys going to college this year and it will come in handy. This will be our last large family vehicle for sure. 8/10.

20200709_193554.jpg

·
233 Posts
Thanks for the long term update KarstGeo :cool:

I replaced the OEM Contis @ 150 miles I could not stand the noise and sloppy feel of the side wall with Michelin Defenders LTX's and
what a huge difference !

No issues on my '19 SEL 4/Motion, one computer re-flash and oil change.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the long term update KarstGeo :cool:

I replaced the OEM Contis @ 150 miles I could not stand the noise and sloppy feel of the side wall with Michelin Defenders LTX's and
what a huge difference !

No issues on my '19 SEL 4/Motion, one computer re-flash and oil change.
I find the Conti's to be fine on this vehicle but tires are a v. personal thing so I get it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
2018 Atlas SEL 4Motion 3.6. ~30K miles/3 years old this month. So far, here is where we are/my experience:
Overall mpgs are around 18 with a mainly short trip/stop/go/city use. Best on a trip was about 25 (real, calc’d, not the readout). VW says 17-23 so based on my use and calcs, certainly reasonable but I’d say the only time you will see mpgs in the 20s with the 3.6 is if you drive purely on the highway. I’ve seen pure winter around town tanks at 14. The readout is about 8% optimistic if you compare to hand-calcs and you can adjust this using OBDEleven as well as enable the “gallons to fill” which can be helpful for the overly conservative gas light/miles to empty.
Total cost of maintenance has been $915. 4x oil changes/tire rotations at the dealer. 1x cabin filter (DIY). 2x f/r wipers (DIY). 1x front brake rotors/pads (DIY). I run a K&N drop-in filter and it should be good for 50K until it needs to be cleaned. ~$300/year…not bad!
4x service campaigns and 3x recalls, none of which were drama/required more than overnight stay at the dealer. I just had them taken care of when it needed an oil change which is the most convenient way to handle it and none were emergencies that had to get done immediately. Not surprising to me for a first-year run of a vehicle or a VW in general.
2x minor warranty claims/repairs – cracked console armrest and resetting the d. side memory seat module that lost sync.
I will put tires on it this year as the stock Contis are at 6/32” and I don’t run them past 4/32” so almost there, likely at 35K which is v. good for OE tires. No uneven wear. I’m guessing it will need a battery by next year and I may pre-emptively change it out so it doesn’t strand my wife based on the issues with the 2018 batteries. I will DIY the 30K/3 year service items namely the brake fluid flush and Haldex awd oil change which are both straightforward/I have the tools/skill to handle.
Lingering issues. Slight vibration around 80mph - my guess is tires so will find out soon enough and we don’t often drive this vehicle much more than 70 – was going to get them re-balanced but not worth it if I’m replacing them this year anyway. Coolant loss. I’ve monitored it closely and I’ve never had it go empty, just a slight drop over time that seems to level out about halfway in the overflow tank then I top it off with some Pentofrost G13. I plan on having them have a look next time it’s in to pressure test it/document it but unless it does more than this, I’m not worried about it. I don’t get a strong coolant smell like others have reported.
Paid ~$42K before TTL in Jan 2018 and KBB private party/excellent condition (I don’t trade in vehicles) today is ~$29 so ~13K over 3 years (~31%), depreciation doesn’t seem bad to me/normal. I keep cars a long time and it’s paid for so not really a concern anyway.
Just an objective ownership experience post, not eveyrone has major issues/drama. Really like it and glad we bought it – perfect family hauler/do-it-all vehicle and with the 6/72 warranty, should be a low-ownership cost vehicle for 4 more years beyond basic maintenance/wear and tear items. We'll keep it for a long time as we will start the process of our 3 boys going to college this year and it will come in handy. This will be our last large family vehicle for sure. 8/10.

View attachment 1635
Great post, enjoyed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the great post. We are also nearing 3 years on our 2018 SEL v6 FWD. Just under 25k miles. We got a 3 year lease but are in the process of buying it out (the KBB book value is just over the residue) and intend to keep it for a bit. Due COVID WFH etc, this is expected to be our only car for several months (if not all the way through CY 2021). We've found the car to be ok. Huge space but a bit noisy. Ok, not outstanding (but not terrible) ride (we have the 18" wheels/tires, not the 20" ones). Not terribly entertaining in terms of handling and grossly underpowered (until a few days ago, my daily driver was a '18 BMW 340i with power and sound kit, Atlas was the wife/family car). We've had three scheduled service visits (about $100 each) and a couple of recalls. That's about it. Haven't noticed excessive fluid consumption (oil or coolant) but then I haven't looked. Our aggregate MPG is around 20 (mainly city, a couple of trips down to LA from the SF Bay Area). Looking forward to changing the tires once these wear out (hopefully to improve the ride and reduce road noise).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great long-term post! We have a 2018 Atlas SE 4-Motion w/R-Line Package. Just hit 60K and still have original tires that are wearing very well which includes 3 winters in Iowa. I was planning on getting the same ones again due to our success with the OEM's however I have not seen the best feedback on them and regularly other brands are recommended over the Continentals. We are at 5/32 tread so will more than likely get 70K out of them and the road noise is still relatively low even this deep into the wear. I saw a recommendation for Michelin Defenders LTX and would be curious what others recommend. We drive the car daily around 50 miles round-trip to work (interstate) plus in-town errands.

One other note, we have android phones and struggle with the android auto disconnecting on the slightest bump of the cord. We've tried multiple phones (Samsung, Pixel) and multiple cords using the USB up front and in the arm rest, still the same issues. Our dealer tells us its a sensitivity within Android Auto software and there is nothing they can do. Curious if others are encountering this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great long-term post! We have a 2018 Atlas SE 4-Motion w/R-Line Package. Just hit 60K and still have original tires that are wearing very well which includes 3 winters in Iowa. I was planning on getting the same ones again due to our success with the OEM's however I have not seen the best feedback on them and regularly other brands are recommended over the Continentals. We are at 5/32 tread so will more than likely get 70K out of them and the road noise is still relatively low even this deep into the wear. I saw a recommendation for Michelin Defenders LTX and would be curious what others recommend. We drive the car daily around 50 miles round-trip to work (interstate) plus in-town errands.

One other note, we have android phones and struggle with the android auto disconnecting on the slightest bump of the cord. We've tried multiple phones (Samsung, Pixel) and multiple cords using the USB up front and in the arm rest, still the same issues. Our dealer tells us its a sensitivity within Android Auto software and there is nothing they can do. Curious if others are encountering this.
No such issues with Apple CarPlay

·
Registered
191 Posts

One other note, we have android phones and struggle with the android auto disconnecting on the slightest bump of the cord. We've tried multiple phones (Samsung, Pixel) and multiple cords using the USB up front and in the arm rest, still the same issues. Our dealer tells us its a sensitivity within Android Auto software and there is nothing they can do. Curious if others are encountering...
pixel 3 here. Only time that happened was when the phone jack was gunked up with lint from being in my pocket. That also made charging at home an issue. Once I cleaned out the phone jack it clicked in to the cable tightly and haven't had the issue again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice post. I'll have to give my update at 2 years for my 2019 SEL Premium (at the end of March), and likely 41K - 43K (by then). About the only thing I've done differently from the posts so far is that I bought and used (2 winters now) Nokian Hakkapelita R3 SUV tires, but then again, I live in the mountainous regions of Utah. Best winter tire decision I've ever made. I've run Blizzaks on my 2012 Ford Fusion, and those are quite good, but the R3s absolutely embarrass them. They are really that good (if you need winter tires), and worth the $20 - $40 per tire premium over Blizzaks of the same size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice post. I'll have to give my update at 2 years for my 2019 SEL Premium (at the end of March), and likely 41K - 43K (by then). About the only thing I've done differently from the posts so far is that I bought and used (2 winters now) Nokian Hakkapelita R3 SUV tires, but then again, I live in the mountainous regions of Utah. Best winter tire decision I've ever made. I've run Blizzaks on my 2012 Ford Fusion, and those are quite good, but the R3s absolutely embarrass them. They are really that good (if you need winter tires), and worth the $20 - $40 per tire premium over Blizzaks of the same size.
Nokian Hakkapelita R3 SUV tires for the win! We plunked down the money for a second set of rims with these tires and I do NOT regret it at all!!! It was expensive but so worth it!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts

View attachment 1635
Good post! We haven't had ours for very long but so far it seems very similar to what you described! Its not a perfect vehicle (have needed some warranty work for stuff that shouldn't have been issues this soon... Battery, valve cover gasket) but its quite good and honestly, we really really like it and at this point would totally buy again!

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 1635
Nice post, we also have a 2018 Atlas 3.6 with 4motion and Technology package we haven't had any issues so far where at 45000 miles plus and just getting ready to replace the tires with 245/60R-18 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE SUV SL mot to worried about mileage or I wouldn't have bought one of the biggest SUVs out or the 6cyl love the power, All it's been to the shop for is the recalls and oil and tire rotation. It has been a very reliable car so far.

·
233 Posts
Nice post, we also have a 2018 Atlas 3.6 with 4motion and Technology package we haven't had any issues so far where at 45000 miles plus and just getting ready to replace the tires with 245/60R-18 MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE SUV SL mot to worried about mileage or I wouldn't have bought one of the biggest SUVs out or the 6cyl love the power, All it's been to the shop for is the recalls and oil and tire rotation. It has been a very reliable car so far.
Welcome to the forum Backrode ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear there had been no issues besides regular maintenance. Just leased 2021 3.6 SE w/Tech R-line 4 motion and Im loving it. Already thinking about keeping it. There are some annoying crackling around the dash board and a rattle in the bench seat. Im hoping the dealership can correct the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts