Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extremely frustrated that my 11,500 mi car is in the shop for god knows how long again. Just 2 months removed from having the steering rack replaced for the same creaking noise mentioned in depth on this forum, its back in the shop. While 40 miles away from the nearest dealer, the engine just randomly began misfiring and the ECP and CE lights illuminated.

This should not be happening on a car with such low mileage and on a motor which has been produced for eons.

Researching this topic on various forums makes this sound like it is a systemic problem.

To make matters worse, VW corporate leaves it up to the dealers whether or not they want to offer alternative transportation. Of course mine does offer it but in the 3 years we have been VW owners (my wife has a 2018 Tiguan with its own set of problems) they do not have loaner availability and want me to pay for a rental car which they would "happily" set up for me.

These will be the last VWs I ever buy.

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
Usually this is either coil pack/plug related or injectors (seems to be the most common that I've read). Hope they get it sorted for you. I will only say that most folks assume loaners etc. are covered by they often are not - the warranty is to fix the vehicle. VW dealers aren't the only ones that do this and I have raretly had loaner cars over my car-ownership life for warranty work from a variety of brands/dealers. This shouldn't take long ot have fixed - parts availablity will be the bigger issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a '21 Cross Sport SE with tech and I just started having the same issue! Mine is also currently being repaired at the dealership. I have about 6700 miles on it and just got it in May. The crazy thing is this car is the replacement for the 2020 lemon (same model) they sold me!! I would encourage you to look into your state's lemon laws. The process was relatively easy for me in NC. I didn't need a lawyer. The first offer they made was to give me 15% of the MSRP of a new car. I knew I met all of the requirements of the lemon law so I told them I wanted to appeal the decision and two days later they offered to buy it back or replace it. Now I'm afraid I made the wrong decision replacing it. Best of luck with your situation!

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
I have a '21 Cross Sport SE with tech and I just started having the same issue! Mine is also currently being repaired at the dealership. I have about 6700 miles on it and just got it in May. The crazy thing is this car is the replacement for the 2020 lemon (same model) they sold me!! I would encourage you to look into your state's lemon laws. The process was relatively easy for me in NC. I didn't need a lawyer. The first offer they made was to give me 15% of the MSRP of a new car. I knew I met all of the requirements of the lemon law so I told them I wanted to appeal the decision and two days later they offered to buy it back or replace it. Now I'm afraid I made the wrong decision replacing it. Best of luck with your situation!
How about they try to get it fixed first before going all-in? Most states require 3x in for same issue within a certain period after purchase or a certain number of days out of service. Could be a simple few hours and done.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I agree....let the dealer fix it...many new cars - not just VWs - experience similar problems...we have nearly the same mileage on our Atlas and no problems....

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had similar issue on our brand new 2021.5 Atlas; turned out to be one of those bad fuel injectors (apparently there was a "batch" of bad ones, but no one will say how many was in that "batch" nor how many cars got them). It's been 1 month since the bad fuel injector was fixed. I was told by the dealership that they will only replace them if they are indeed found to be faulty, even though they KNOW that there was a bad batch out there. So now I worry and wait to see if I have other faulty ones or just that one. I am still not planning any long road trips until at least many months from now because I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I love our Atlas, even though gas mileage isn't so great (bring back Trump gas prices!), but more concerned about long-term reliability still. We shall see.....

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
How many miles on your new Atlas? We are at 6K on our new Atlas and no problems so far....in our case, is the "other shoe going to drop"?

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
I had an EPC issue this past week that is related here. So firstly, CEL (check engine light) and EPC (electronic powertrain control) are a bit different. Often, small issues/faults will trip a solid CEL which often is not an issue that requires not driving, immediately dealer service, ec. EPC is a bit different and indicates something more serious caused the ECU's safeties to kick in and put the car in "limp mode" so you don't cause damage. For me, at 70mph ACC on coming home from a 200 mile day trip, I had an abrupt blinking CEL (bad) and EPC - lost power/couldn't get over a certain RPM. Pulled over. Now being familar with VWs and having several (limp mode is nothing new to me with my tuned Sportwagen), I just turned the Atlas off then back, boom...no more CEL/EPC and drove the rest of the way home with no drama. I scanned when I got home with OBDEleven which showed stored codes for misfires and fuelling issues. It hasn't come back and I'm going with at this point a simple hiccup where it lost fuel pressure causing the misfires and subsequent limp mode. Could be fuel injector related for sure so will keep an eye on it. 2018 Atlas w/35K on the clock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two days ago coming home on interstate 95 I lost complete power. I was able to live off of an exit.The EPC light was on and I pulled over. I was about to contact the Dealership that was close by, but I have an appointment for my audio the following day. They were able to get me a right in. They did diagnostics and discovered that I have a faulty fuel injector. And they were going to check the audio as well. I’ve already contacted corporate office prior for the audio issue. And they called me back immediately. At this time I was able to tell her that it was in the shop with this EPC issue. Now VWCorp is on top of it. This is a 2021 atlas cross sport premium. I’ve only had it for two months. It’s been in the shop twice. I’m very disappointed in my experience thus far. I’ll keep you posted on what happens. The problem is there’s five more injectors I could go bad. And where will I be when that happens. I love the car very much it’s gorgeous. I’m disappointing that I having these issues.
Couple other things about this car that I really don’t like it it’s just a main feature. I can’t change my device Unless it is running, and I can’t lock the car while it’s running. Be very aware also if you are a passenger or you have a passenger and the driver walks off with the key the car will shut off And lock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts