Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 21 Atlas Se Tech R-Line is starting to jerk when I shift from R to D. Its like a jerk or thump and you can feel it. Its a 4-motion. Im thinking if it has to with differential fluid or transmission. Going to have to make an appointment now smdh. Has anyone else experienced this.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
My 21 Atlas Se Tech R-Line is starting to jerk when I shift from R to D. Its like a jerk or thump and you can feel it. Its a 4-motion. Im thinking if it has to with differential fluid or transmission. Going to have to make an appointment now smdh. Has anyone else experienced this.
Are you setting the parking brake while in drive and coming to a stop before releasing the brake? They will all do this if you have the weight of the vehicle against the transmission parking gear. This is a common one that folks talk about - search group and you'll find other folks saying the same with the same recomemdation. I'd mess with your procedure first before bothering with the dealer - this has nothing to do with the awd system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you setting the parking brake while in drive and coming to a stop before releasing the brake? They will all do this if you have the weight of the vehicle against the transmission parking gear. This is a common one that folks talk about - search group and you'll find other folks saying the same with the same recomemdation. I'd mess with your procedure first before bothering with the dealer - this has nothing to do with the awd system.
Never heard of this. So I have to put the parking brake on when I go from r to d and then release the parking brake? That would be crazy if I had to do that because I live in NY and have to parallel park. But i feel something is wrong because the shifter is getting tighter. Its not as smooth doesnt as when I first bought the vehicle. It feel stuck and have to give it more force to move it sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
Never heard of this. So I have to put the parking brake on when I go from r to d and then release the parking brake?
No, let me be more clear.

Coming to a stop in your driveway. You are in D. Your foot is on the brake. Put it in P but keep your foot on the brake. Engage the parking brake. When the electric parking brake is done engaging (you can hear it) THEN release your foot from the brake. Make sense?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, let me be more clear.

Coming to a stop in your driveway. You are in D. Your foot is on the brake. Put it in P but keep your foot on the brake. Engage the parking brake. When the electric parking brake is done engaging (you can hear it) THEN release your foot from the brake. Make sense?
Yes i hear you. I have been doing that since I bought the car. My issue is jerking when shifting from r to d. For example in the morning i start the car and the parking brake is engaged. I shift from park to r (there is starting to be some resistance when I shift from P to R) then disengage the parking brake with my foot on the brake. I back out of my spot and with my foot fully on the brake i shift from r to d and I get a jerk.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
Yes i hear you. I have been doing that since I bought the car. My issue is jerking when shifting from r to d. For example in the morning i start the car and the parking brake is engaged. I shift from park to r (there is starting to be some resistance when I shift from P to R) then disengage the parking brake with my foot on the brake. I back out of my spot and with my foot fully on the brake i shift from r to d and I get a jerk.
Hmmmm not sure then and yes, that is a bit different than the resistance that is normal going from P to R when parked or on an incline. A video of the issue is always helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts