Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where to report issues that is official and actually will get included in reports for possible recalls etc. But first I love my atlas!! But it does have some issues- sound/volume issues. Sometimes the radio will not play any sounds and you can spin the volume but it doesn’t change anything. You can also change what it’s on (xm, CarPlay, fm) none work. You have to hold down the radio power button to get it to reset to work. (My husband found that trick by googling it. So safe to say it’s across the board an issue.) also everyone I talked to that has one has had the same issues. —CarPlay- for a while CarPlay wouldn’t connect or even search for phone. My phone was already in system and it just stopped recognizing any phones. The power button reset did not help this. I had to factory reset the radio. —Airbag- I have an air bag error message, upon googling this is another error issue across the board but yet there is not a recall for any of this. Already had to do the door harness recall. Also already had to replace coolant and brakes are needing replaced soon which is definitely not cheap for this car. This is an expensive car to have everything needing to be replaced so soon and the other electrical issues. Brakes and coolant shouldn’t need to be replaced that quickly from a brand new car. Please advise me on where I can report these that is official.

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
I am not sure where to report issues that is official and actually will get included in reports for possible recalls etc. But first I love my atlas!! But it does have some issues- sound/volume issues. Sometimes the radio will not play any sounds and you can spin the volume but it doesn’t change anything. You can also change what it’s on (xm, CarPlay, fm) none work. You have to hold down the radio power button to get it to reset to work. (My husband found that trick by googling it. So safe to say it’s across the board an issue.) also everyone I talked to that has one has had the same issues. —CarPlay- for a while CarPlay wouldn’t connect or even search for phone. My phone was already in system and it just stopped recognizing any phones. The power button reset did not help this. I had to factory reset the radio. —Airbag- I have an air bag error message, upon googling this is another error issue across the board but yet there is not a recall for any of this. Already had to do the door harness recall. Also already had to replace coolant and brakes are needing replaced soon which is definitely not cheap for this car. This is an expensive car to have everything needing to be replaced so soon and the other electrical issues. Brakes and coolant shouldn’t need to be replaced that quickly from a brand new car. Please advise me on where I can report these that is official.
A few comments - just b/c you can find others with the same issue doesn't in anyway indicate "across teh board" issues...just that others have had the same problem.

Not much detail here - how many miles on your Atlas? Isn't this all under warranty? What has the dealer said? What is wrong with the brakes that they need to be replaced? Same question with coolant?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The airbag and radio issues have been every person I have spoken to who have this car. And I was meaning technically every single one has but statistically if it wasn’t a wider/larger across the board issue I would have met or spoken with someone who didn’t have this issue and I haven’t yet. Brakes and coolant just seem to have need to be replaced faster than any other vehicle I have had. I am also not mechanically inclined and just going off previous experience but my atlas has 15k miles on it. And I live in a mild climate area if that matters. The items I wanted to report just so I can be included in the tallies for possible recall. And so they can check to see if it is a recall necessary items is the airbag and radio issues.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have an appointment with the dealership friday. I mentioned at my oil change at 10k and they stated they had fixed the errors and should be fine. But it wasn’t corrected and I have just been doing the resets to keep it working for the time but if there is a permanent fix that would be great.

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
The airbag and radio issues have been every person I have spoken to who have this car. And I was meaning technically every single one has but statistically if it wasn’t a wider/larger across the board issue I would have met or spoken with someone who didn’t have this issue and I haven’t yet. Brakes and coolant just seem to have need to be replaced faster than any other vehicle I have had. I am also not mechanically inclined and just going off previous experience but my atlas has 15k miles on it. And I live in a mild climate area if that matters. The items I wanted to report just so I can be included in the tallies for possible recall. And so they can check to see if it is a recall necessary items is the airbag and radio issues.
What specifically is the issue with the brakes?

For coolant - do you mean it's just needed to be topped off? There would be no reason to replace coolant on a vehicle this new as a maintenance items.

Just tying to help you out.

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
Brakes just already squealing and needing replaced. The coolant we got an alert it was low on the dash.
Ok - got it now - thanks for the detail.

Coolant. Yes, that happens to VWs sometimes, top it off (can use distilled water) and drive it. If it continues to drop, then you have an issue. An initial top off can be air in the system from new. It can also mean a leak. Just pop your hood when you get gas and look at the coolant tank to check for a few mos.

Brakes. VWs can have noisy brakes due to the pad compound used. There is nothing wrong with them. Typically they are louder in the morning after dew/moisture is on the rotors and you back out of your driveway. Should go away quickly. If not, VW is unlikely going to replace the pads as again, there isn't actually anything wrong w/r to the mechanical bits/stopping, just noise which I get it...is annoying. A set of quieter pads is less than $100 and a very easy DIY.

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
The items I wanted to report just so I can be included in the tallies for possible recall.
This forum has zero to do with anything like that. The only time a manufacturer will have an offical recall is something safety related. Most minor bits/bobs end up handled as a "service campaign" or even just a "technical service bulletin (TSB)" which isn't anything you'd know about, just for dealer techs to have info on somewhat common issues to help them diagnose issues when they come in.

Best to go to the NTHSA website and submit things there.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This forum has zero to do with anything like that. The only time a manufacturer will have an offical recall is something safety related. Most minor bits/bobs end up handled as a "service campaign" or even just a "technical service bulletin (TSB)" which isn't anything you'd know about, just for dealer techs to have info on somewhat common issues to help them diagnose issues when they come in.

Best to go to the NTHSA website and submit things there.
Thank you I appreciate that information.

· Registered
3 Posts
[I live outside of Boston. Have a 2021 Atlas with almost 18k. I have never had a problem with the airbag or brakes. Seems like you shouldn't have needed brakes so soon. I have had a problem with the radio though and now the navigation resets every time I turn the car off.

· Registered
2 Posts
My radio does the same thing, dealer said they need to replace the main unit for the radio so it's on more than a few vehicle's

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
[I live outside of Boston. Have a 2021 Atlas with almost 18k. I have never had a problem with the airbag or brakes. Seems like you shouldn't have needed brakes so soon. I have had a problem with the radio though and now the navigation resets every time I turn the car off.
Her pads are noisy, which isn't the same as needing new brakes. Seems the radio unit on these is an issue. Have folks gone to the dealer with this and demonstrated the issue for the technician?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would imagine that aggravating. I do not save anything to my navigation. I typically use the car play navigation.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Her pads are noisy, which isn't the same as needing new brakes. Seems the radio unit on these is an issue. Have folks gone to the dealer with this and demonstrated the issue for the technician?
From the people I have spoken to and the complaints I have read posted, people have and sometimes it doesn’t show when you get there to show them etc because you do the reset but seems like they should be able to get in the settings and see how many times the resets have been done. I mentioned it last appointment and they just reset it and said that should fix it but of course it was only a temporary fix.

· Registered
3 Posts
I would imagine that aggravating. I do not save anything to my navigation. I typically use the car play navigation.
It is aggravating. You don't have to manually save anything, it stores recent destinations. You can set favorites and name them, which I had set up before..like my home address and used to be able to just select home. I'll probably give vw a call. Also I forgot but I did have my coolant light come on shortly after my 10k oil change, I was on vacation and another dealer was able to look at it said it happens sometimes. Something about air.
Just topped it off and it's been fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts