Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, With the 100 degree temps we have been getting here in TX, our less than two week old atlas is struggling to cool if at all. We actually have had it parked up until today to go to the dealer for a service appointment. After less than 100 miles, we realized that if outside is anything above 90degrees, its struggling and if its 100 outdoors, then better park it up and use one of the other cars.

We dropped it to the dealer and they said they are replacing a schrader valve. I have read the other posts, and saw meat temperature tests, but I think for a car so new, its better to let the dealer sort it out. They also mentioned because of the black interior it will take longer to cool.Is this valve a common problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all, With the 100 degree temps we have been getting here in TX, our less than two week old atlas is struggling to cool if at all. We actually have had it parked up until today to go to the dealer for a service appointment. After less than 100 miles, we realized that if outside is anything above 90degrees, its struggling and if its 100 outdoors, then better park it up and use one of the other cars.

We dropped it to the dealer and they said they are replacing a schrader valve. I have read the other posts, and saw meat temperature tests, but I think for a car so new, its better to let the dealer sort it out. They also mentioned because of the black interior it will take longer to cool.Is this valve a common problem?
Not sure, but we are dropping ours off Monday to have it checked out as well. Seems to really struggle in this heat. We have a 2021 SEL Premium 4Motion with the V6. My mustang with a turbo 4 blows like a meat locker, no matter how hot it gets. Also having the door harness recall taken care of, as well as the gray piece over the fender replaced, as I noticed it delaminating the last time I washed the car. We love the car and it's features, but getting it up to Mckinney is a real hassle, as well as the fact that VW provides no type of loaner car program for warranty or recall work. Makes it incredibly inconvenient. Sam Pack has always given me a loaner when I've had warranty work done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, they did find a temp deviance from the evap core temp sensor and temp from dash vents. A pressure test with nitrogen and detected a leak at the Schrader valve. They replaced it and it seems to be working fine. Didn't take more than three hours for everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update 102 Degree temperature on the outside and we have no issues, very comfortable on the inside. Anyone in the future, if this happens, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Just had our water pump replaced under warranty. It was seeping

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello all, With the 100 degree temps we have been getting here in TX, our less than two week old atlas is struggling to cool if at all. We actually have had it parked the up until today to go to the dealer for a service appointment. After less than 100 miles, we realized that if outside is anything above 90degrees, its struggling and if its 100 outdoors, then better park it up and use one of the other cars.

Update 102 Degree temperature on the outside and we have no issues, very comfortable on the inside. Anyone in the future, if this happens, I hope this helps.
Glad to hear but here's my take on the AC system for this car. I think the system is too small for the size (interior) of the car. There is a LOT of glass (windshield) that heats up the car and then theirs the sunroof. I heard there is a ceramic-type sunscreen coating you can have installed (same places that tint your windshield) that is supposed to really help in keeping the car cool(er). But I've had my 2019 since July 2019 and it just seems to really radiate heat from the picture windows we call the windshield. My 2011 T&C Chrysler minivan has two ac units (back/front) and it cools down very fast and keeps things way in the comfort zone. I was in Gulfport MS last July when even at 3am, the "feel like" was 97deg and all I remember is, took the car a WHILE to cool down, and during the day, who needs to go lay out on the beach when you can drive to the local supermarket and get a tan, just from what's beaming in from the front windsheild.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh yeah, my daughter lives in the Ft Worth area. Seeing that next week (July 18-... it's going to be like 109 down there. She moved down there in Jan. Left Michigan in Jan so this heat is a shock. But I guess putting up with 100+ temps in the summer and a couple of years ago, she was putting up with -15 (windchill was -33), she's having a hard time adjusting. o_O

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to hear but here's my take on the AC system for this car. I think the system is too small for the size (interior) of the car. There is a LOT of glass (windshield) that heats up the car and then theirs the sunroof. I heard there is a ceramic-type sunscreen coating you can have installed (same places that tint your windshield) that is supposed to really help in keeping the car cool(er). But I've had my 2019 since July 2019 and it just seems to really radiate heat from the picture windows we call the windshield. My 2011 T&C Chrysler minivan has two ac units (back/front) and it cools down very fast and keeps things way in the comfort zone. I was in Gulfport MS last July when even at 3am, the "feel like" was 97deg and all I remember is, took the car a WHILE to cool down, and during the day, who needs to go lay out on the beach when you can drive to the local supermarket and get a tan, just from what's beaming in from the front windsheild.
look for a tint company that applies 3M film. For one, if they’re using 3m window film, they’re likely good installers using quality products.
Second, 3M Crystalline is the product you want. You can even get a 90% film on your windshield and it won’t look like anything is there but you’ll get major heat reduction. I plan on doing 70% all the way around because I don’t Need tint, just heat reduction, and 70% really doesn’t tint much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been about a month, and the ac is still fine. What you are saying about the glass is true, you can feel it burning your hands through the windscreen. I will be enquiring about the 3M Crystaline. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts