Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed the FRONTRUNNER Volkswagen Atlas (2018-Current) Slimline II Roof Rail Rack Kit. On our 2021 VW Atlas SE R-Line w/Tech. Took awhile to finish, see last photo for delay item.

The overall fit is perfect. I was able to find level rather easily. Centering was easy but it does shift when you start tightening each Grab On Foot. Overhang was 1" each side for front and 2" each side for rear. As I was able to find level I did not need the provided Spacers for use on the rear (2x)Grab On Foot.

Plenty of clearance for sunroof operation in all positions. Lower wind deflector works and is clear of sunroof operation.

One of the delays in assembling the rack was several bits or triangular shaped aluminum chips were preventing the bolts from getting to the treads. We went through each part and checked / cleared the connection areas.

We also found that using a rag with just a dab of oil helps the parts slide in their channels for attachment to the rack frame. The instructions that come with the kit are basic photo copies. They do have PDFs on their website but you will find that a few details are missing. A specific bolt or nut may not show in the guide or parts list but it is in your parts bag and is definitely needed. Overall not hard to figure out, just time consuming.

Passenger side distance from front rail foot. About 1" offset

Drivers side distance from front rail foot. About 1" offset

We still have the two of the Expedition Rail Kit - Front or Back left to install. I ordered the wrong size (too wide) and am waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Ordering accessories for the FRONTRUNNER rack system needs consistent detail. The rack will be defined by length and an accessory like the Expedition Rail Kit will be defined by width. I had to dig deeper into instructions and product info to find this information that would have helped earlier.

We have some camping trips coming up. I may post additional photos of the load and feedback and function in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does your Atlas have the R-Line logo start up on the informant screen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the FRONTRUNNER Volkswagen Atlas (2018-Current) Slimline II Roof Rail Rack Kit. On our 2021 VW Atlas SE R-Line w/Tech. Took awhile to finish, see last photo for delay item.
View attachment 2046

The overall fit is perfect. I was able to find level rather easily. Centering was easy but it does shift when you start tightening each Grab On Foot. Overhang was 1" each side for front and 2" each side for rear. As I was able to find level I did not need the provided Spacers for use on the rear (2x)Grab On Foot.

Plenty of clearance for sunroof operation in all positions. Lower wind deflector works and is clear of sunroof operation.
View attachment 2047

View attachment 2048

View attachment 2049

One of the delays in assembling the rack was several bits or triangular shaped aluminum chips were preventing the bolts from getting to the treads. We went through each part and checked / cleared the connection areas.

View attachment 2050

We also found that using a rag with just a dab of oil helps the parts slide in their channels for attachment to the rack frame. The instructions that come with the kit are basic photo copies. They do have PDFs on their website but you will find that a few details are missing. A specific bolt or nut may not show in the guide or parts list but it is in your parts bag and is definitely needed. Overall not hard to figure out, just time consuming.

View attachment 2051

View attachment 2052

View attachment 2053

We still have the two of the Expedition Rail Kit - Front or Back left to install. I ordered the wrong size (too wide) and am waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Ordering accessories for the FRONTRUNNER rack system needs consistent detail. The rack will be defined by length and an accessory like the Expedition Rail Kit will be defined by width. I had to dig deeper into instructions and product info to find this information that would have helped earlier.

We have some camping trips coming up. I may post additional photos of the load and feedback and function in the future.
Looks great! I have the same model and color, I have been looking for an all black system. I am interested to hear your feedback on the rack. Does it create much noise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the replacement poles and finally Installed the FRONTRUNNER EXPEDITION RAIL KIT - FRONT OR BACK - FOR 1255MM(W) RACK. On our 2021 VW Atlas SE R-Line w/Tech.

Overall installation was like putting a kids bike together. You have to remove each rack rail corner and replace with the EXPEDITION RAIL KIT corner pieces. This can be done while the rack is installed. The instructions say otherwise. We used a moving blanket (Harbor Freight) underneath the rack to protect the paint and glass from any angry parts or tools. It goes together OK, some of the rail paint gets scratched off during install.

Fortunately we had a camping trip the next day. So some road time and load time was tested. The wife found that the bottom airfoil sounds like a window is open. I may try removing it and see if it is better without. Also may try wrapping paracord around it in a spaced spiral to break up the wind noise.

What we both noticed is that almost every rail pipe rattles. Only when hitting rough pavement.

The tolerance between Rail PIN and Rail PIPE varies enough that the pipe will rotate on the pin. Which may be OK if you are pulling your gear on and off over the rail PIPE sections. This however means that they are loose enough to rattle. My solution was to wrap electrical tape around the pins to create a tighter fit.

I rolled one layer of tape around the pin with a 1/16" offset to allow for slide during reinstall of rail PIPE.

The fitment is much better. No roll or looseness of the pipes on the pins. One of the pipe ends seems a little bigger and I may have to add another layer of electrical tape.

Lastly, the BLACK TIE DOWN RINGS in the Rail PIN detail photos are two for $11. I found a YouTuber that figured how these rings are built out. I purchased 20 (304 Stainless Steel Ring Shape M8 Lifting Eye Threaded Nut, #23470 Metric tap bolts, Stainless steel 316 (A-4), 8mm x 1.25mm x 16mm, #15948 Metric flat washers, Nylon 6/6, 8mm. For just a little more than 8 of the FRONTRUNNER versions.

I also went with the Yakima LockNLoad Corner Bracket Kit @REI. I liked these better than the FRONTRUNNER versions as they have a sliding slot to allow adjustment for cargo the isn't squared. And it comes with four tie down rings. I should get these in the next few days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
View attachment 2046

View attachment 2047

View attachment 2048

View attachment 2049

View attachment 2050

View attachment 2051

View attachment 2052

View attachment 2053

looks nice, but i bet its noisy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks nice, but i bet its noisy
Not much noise really or not at all. A couple of the rail pipes need additional electrical tape and re-tightening.

As for wind noise, a little buffer from the front wind fairing against the glass of the pano roof. I plan to remove it before a short road trip to see if it helps.

Overall a great rack with plenty of options and uses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts