Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I am currently looking at two options for the 2021.5 Atlas.

Trying to decide between an SEL or SE with Tech R-Line. Both have 4motion V6, both have pano roof. Very similar packages. Same price on both as well.

The SEL has the digital dash and few more extra things internally. Long term would the SEL be a better option? Is R-line just a looks package? Which would you choose?

Would like an SEL R-line but that is out of budget.

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are going to own the car for 5 plus years, get what you want.

My wife wanted SEL, and we both loved the R-Line trim. When I said “should we settle for the non-R-line?”, she called out that this kind of investment isn’t something to settle on - if we were going to settle, go with something used and get rid of it in a few years. Sine we plan to have it for longer than the financed term, I went for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We looked at a CPO SEL-Premium, and a New SE R-Line. At the end of the day, we decided to go with the SE R-Line just because it looked so much better, and the price was within our budget. Like you, our budget did not allow for going to the SEL R-Line, nor was there any inventory nearby.

The Digital Cockpit is cool, but I found it to be too busy during my test drive. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it and customized it to my liking, but my wife and I decided it just wasn't necessary. The digital readout in the center of the standard instrument cluster allows you to toggle through several different readouts, and will show Navigation if you use Google Maps/Car Play. Aside from the Digital Cockpit, there just weren't any options that we found useful to justify the SE to SEL price difference. To get the Fender Sound and Leather Heated/Cooled Seats, you had to jump all the way to the Premium Package.

The R-Line package was a game changer though. I know it's just an aesthetic package, but the Atlas just looks so much better without the plastic cladding IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like the R-Line styling, but the extra features that come with the SEL Premium sold us. Rear heated seats, Fender Audio package, Digital Cockpit, and all of the other features (which were not standard in 2019, like Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, etc.). You do you, though, and love what you've chosen for whatever reason you chose it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the R-Line styling, but the extra features that come with the SEL Premium sold us. Rear heated seats, Fender Audio package, Digital Cockpit, and all of the other features (which were not standard in 2019, like Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, etc.). You do you, though, and love what you've chosen for whatever reason you chose it.
Thanks for your input. I have a 2020 SE With tech, while nicely equipped does not have 4motion, or digital dash. Also strange that passenger seat does not have height adjustment. I dont get that with VW trims. I need to see what works best long term. Would like an SEL R-Line but hard to come by with low inventory and no deals off MSRP.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
42 Posts
I'd say go for the RLINE package. Even if just a cosmetic upgrade ( although 2020 had a park assist upgrade with the Rline as well) it really, really upgrades the exterior styling IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say go for the RLINE package. Even if just a cosmetic upgrade ( although 2020 had a park assist upgrade with the Rline as well) it really, really upgrades the exterior styling IMO.
Just saw most dealers marking R lines up by 3,000 to 5,000. Very low inventory. May have to wait it out or get the non line. They just look bland without it I do agree.

·
Registered
2020 Atlas V6 SE w/ Technology R-Line
42 Posts
Just saw most dealers marking R lines up by 3,000 to 5,000. Very low inventory. May have to wait it out or get the non line. They just look bland without it I do agree.
I hear you on that, I hadn't heard of them marking them up but it's not surprising. When I was trying to find a white 2020 RLine in the northeast last May I only found a handful but it was very difficult to get them to budge on pricing, I got a few thousand off but they were a lot more negotiable on a regular SE that's for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get what you're saying, but he's not asking about the SEL Premium. The only option you list that is available on the SEL is the Digital Dash. The rest are only part of the Premium package, which OP says is out of their price range.

I honestly don't feel like the jump from SE to SEL is worth it. Yeah the Digital Dash is cool, but that's really the only useful option, unless you like nanny features like lane assist. When we looked, the SE had all the useful features we needed, the SEL offered really nothing extra that was exciting, and the Premium offered all the extra creature comforts that, for the price difference, we could live without.

SE w/Tech & R-Line is a sweet spot for features, looks and price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get what you're saying, but he's not asking about the SEL Premium. The only option you list that is available on the SEL is the Digital Dash. The rest are only part of the Premium package, which OP says is out of their price range.

I honestly don't feel like the jump from SE to SEL is worth it. Yeah the Digital Dash is cool, but that's really the only useful option, unless you like nanny features like lane assist. When we looked, the SE had all the useful features we needed, the SEL offered really nothing extra that was exciting, and the Premium offered all the extra creature comforts that, for the price difference, we could live without.

SE w/Tech & R-Line is a sweet spot for features, looks and price.
Thanks for your feedback. I have to decide if looks or more functions work better for me. SEL does have power passenger seat, the SE with tech I have I cant adjust the seat height which is ridiculous on VWs part, that should have been there. Perhaps less screens and tech means less things to break as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello there, I am currently looking at two options for the 2021.5 Atlas.

Trying to decide between an SEL or SE with Tech R-Line. Both have 4motion V6, both have pano roof. Very similar packages. Same price on both as well.

The SEL has the digital dash and few more extra things internally. Long term would the SEL be a better option? Is R-line just a looks package? Which would you choose?

Would like an SEL R-line but that is out of budget.

Thanks for input!

If you want all the bling and gizmos, IMO, the SEL P is the way to go. Unless you won't mind in a couple of years, gluing that fake side vent back on the car when it falls off in the car wash. ;)

I have a 2019 Atlas SEL P. I opted for the bench seat vs captain's chairs in the middle row. Got the two-tone leather too. Looks nice IMO but thats just me. I had the fender sound system in the 2013 Passat TDi SEL P I sold back to vw. The Nav system sucked. Was always late to the table with turns and even the path it wanted me to take. But R-Line reminds me of the cheesy pin strips and stickons you see on many cars these days. What are you REALLY getting that you can't get off Ebay and apply them yourself? I got everything I could on my 2019. Not happy about the remote connection stuff (carnet) but my car sits in my garage, ready for the next trip. It's about to turn 2 and just rolled over 11000 miles. Last trip (a few weeks back was 1600 miles round trip. Yep, still isn't the best on gas but I remind myself, my Jeep is way way worse and the car is a big car. Remember, are you more worried about looks or function. Get everything you think you might want to use and you will thank yourself later that it's there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was trying to decide between a SEL or SE/ Tech R-Line as well. After putting both models in the same color next to each other I just liked the looks of the R-Line way better. Besides, it has all the important technical features ,which are important for me. Only feature to consider was the cooled
seats, but you would have to go to Premium.... digital cockpit is “nice to have” but are you really doing anything with it once you found your personal configuration ? Anyhow, love my SE tech R-Line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts