Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. After everything I’ve read, my v6 atlas won’t be able to tow 5000 pounds because I didn’t get the tow package factory installed. The salesmen specifically told me that it has a 5000 pound towing capacity. I have it in writing via text.

Anyway, my trailer is about 2500 pounds. I know the warranty will be off if I install my own hitch after market. My question is…do you think my atlas can safely tow my trailer? Or do you think the the extra cooling part that the factory installs with the tow package is absolutely necessary to tow 500 pounds over the recommend weight?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't stress over the extra 500 lbs. I used to tow 3500 lbs with a Honda minivan with no extra cooling. Towing is so situation specific - i.e. road gradient, outside temperature, speed, driving style. I would just take it slow and easy and occasionally monitor temps of oil, coolant, and transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I wouldn't stress over the extra 500 lbs. I used to tow 3500 lbs with a Honda minivan with no extra cooling. Towing is so situation specific - i.e. road gradient, outside temperature, speed, driving style. I would just take it slow and easy and occasionally monitor temps of oil, coolant, and transmission.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 VW Cross Sport SEL
28 Posts
I believe you can get the dealer to add the tow package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can buy a transmission cooler and have it added. Not sure about whether that is the issue or that the aftermarket hitch isn’t rated for 5k. Also bear in mind that your trailer will prob be 500+ lbs over the nominal weight with battery, food etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking for some advice. After everything I’ve read, my v6 atlas won’t be able to tow 5000 pounds because I didn’t get the tow package factory installed. The salesmen specifically told me that it has a 5000 pound towing capacity. I have it in writing via text.

Anyway, my trailer is about 2500 pounds. I know the warranty will be off if I install my own hitch after market. My question is…do you think my atlas can safely tow my trailer? Or do you think the the extra cooling part that the factory installs with the tow package is absolutely necessary to tow 500 pounds over the recommend weight?

Thanks in advance.
I have done a lot if research on this, aside from the hitch itself VW factory 5K hitch has three things, higher wattage cooling fans, louver delete to keep engine management from running the motor hotter for more fuel efficiency, and a higher output alternator. There is no transmission cooler or different radiator in the factory package. You should have no trouble towing 2500 lbs with the 6 cylinder. If you are worried just pay attention to your temp guage That said I like trailer brakes on a 2500 lbs trailer, they are not required at that weight but I like them on anything over 2K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading this lengthy thread when you have the time:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I somehow missed a lot of these posts. Thank you all for your reply. I found another thread where a person has been towing well over the 2,000 capacity all over the country and hasn’t had any issues yet. I think I’m going to go for it and get an aftermarket hitch installed and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading this lengthy thread when you have the time:

It was helpful for me. Thank you mate (y)🤓

1 - 11 of 11 Posts