Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 basically brand new Cross Sport EPC light came on and vehicle immediately felt like it was "running rough"

VW towed it to closest dealership, I took a $175 Sunday taxi ride (arrange by VW but paid by myself) to closest rental car place and drove the 300 miles home.

Today it took 3 calls to the dealership to reach a human only to find out they have 1 tech working this week and he might maybe get to diagnose the cross sport by end of day tomorrow....but they have no idea when an actual repair could be done!! Meanwhile I'm sitting on a tiny but expensive rental that needs returned to the rental location 300 miles away.

1. Is this a common issue w/ the cross sport? anyone else deal w/ just the EPC light around 1000 miles &/or 3 week old mark?

2. anyone deal w/ VW for trip interruption reimbursement? By end of day tomorrow the taxi and the rental car is at their $500 max and I have not been able to reach anyone today that has any knowledge of their trip interruption program (to see if they make exceptions if a dealership can't work on the vehicle) and when forwarded to someone who supposedly could help the cue was over an hour long and then it hung up on me!

Needless to say based on the car failing at 1000 miles and then the service issue and especially the lack of communication from the VW dealership our view of VW is not very good at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.....it's believed to be a fuel injector, they are on back order....part should come in on June 8th!! Then once fuel injector is replaced they can check to see if there are any other issues. So earliest pickup, since I'm driving 5hours to get it, is June 9th at that point VW will have had possession of the vehicle for 18 of the 38 days since it was purchased!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just my opinion (I don't know how this holds up...) but I think I would put some pressure on that dealership to have them pay for your taxi and rental car... I would also try to get a loaner from them to avoid dealing with the hassle of needing to pay for a rental... You bought a brand new car with a warranty that has issues. They need to stand good for that…

I don’t think they like covering rental vehicles or taxis and they might refuse but I think I would push them pretty hard on it since you really didn’t have other options…

Like I said earlier… I don’t know how that all will hold up but it won’t hurt to try?

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
A bad fuel injector isn't completely uncommon and I've read about other Atlases with the 3.6 VR that have had this issue. Nothing really else I can say here - sometimes stuff happens and you do the best you can with it. I'd push on VW to reimburse me for the travel costs as this is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would defintly try to get a loaner from them. I have been driving a cross sport sel r line premium loaner for 2 weeks. The dealer i went to is not the dealer I bought my car from either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They should have provided you with a loaner. Doubt they will pay for a rental. I've had my last VW. Atlas V6 SE 4Motion had a similar issue at about 100 miles. Multiple issues since then. In the shop about 14 days total. On any issue now I just insist on a loaner. If I was keeping it I would file a Lemon Law complaint. Glad I leased mine. It's going back in 10 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just my opinion (I don't know how this holds up...) but I think I would put some pressure on that dealership to have them pay for your taxi and rental car... I would also try to get a loaner from them to avoid dealing with the hassle of needing to pay for a rental... You bought a brand new car with a warranty that has issues. They need to stand good for that…

I don’t think they like covering rental vehicles or taxis and they might refuse but I think I would push them pretty hard on it since you really didn’t have other options…

Like I said earlier… I don’t know how that all will hold up but it won’t hurt to try?
basically brand new Cross Sport EPC light came on and vehicle immediately felt like it was "running rough"

VW towed it to closest dealership, I took a $175 Sunday taxi ride (arrange by VW but paid by myself) to closest rental car place and drove the 300 miles home.

Today it took 3 calls to the dealership to reach a human only to find out they have 1 tech working this week and he might maybe get to diagnose the cross sport by end of day tomorrow....but they have no idea when an actual repair could be done!! Meanwhile I'm sitting on a tiny but expensive rental that needs returned to the rental location 300 miles away.

1. Is this a common issue w/ the cross sport? anyone else deal w/ just the EPC light around 1000 miles &/or 3 week old mark?

2. anyone deal w/ VW for trip interruption reimbursement? By end of day tomorrow the taxi and the rental car is at their $500 max and I have not been able to reach anyone today that has any knowledge of their trip interruption program (to see if they make exceptions if a dealership can't work on the vehicle) and when forwarded to someone who supposedly could help the cue was over an hour long and then it hung up on me!

Needless to say based on the car failing at 1000 miles and then the service issue and especially the lack of communication from the VW dealership our view of VW is not very good at the moment.
[/QUOTE]
found this
definitely worth pushing the issue
Our 2021 Guide to a Volkswagen Warranty
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:35am ET

Our 2021 Guide to a Volkswagen Warranty
Apr 20, 2021 at 11:35am ET
By: Jim Koscs
Volkswagen recently shortened its factory warranty but added two free oil changes.

Volkswagen recently reduced its 6-year/72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty to 4 years/50,000 miles for 2020 and newer models. As a small compensation for the reduced Volkswagen warranty, the manufacturer now includes 2 years/20,000 miles of “Carefree Maintenance.” This perk provides the first two scheduled services at no charge. The first, at 1 year/10,000 miles (whichever comes first), is an oil and oil filter change, plus brake wear inspection. The second, at 2 years/20,000 miles, is an oil change along with a long list of “check” items and a road test.
The reduction in Volkswagen’s warranty coverage is one reason to consider buying an extended auto warranty for added peace of mind. The company offers its own Volkswagen extended warranty plans, and we also suggest taking a look at offers from the best extended car warranty companies.

In this article:

Volkswagen Warranty Details
2020 and newer Volkswagen models are covered by the Volkswagen New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This includes 4 years/50,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage and powertrain coverage and covers any repairs to correct a defect in the manufacturer's material or workmanship.
The Volkswagen warranty is fully transferable if you sell the car to a private party. Other elements of coverage for a 2020-2021 Volkswagen are outlined by the chart below:
Volkswagen WarrantyTerm
New Vehicle Limited Warranty (includes powertrain)4 years/50,000 miles
Battery3 years/36,000 miles
Paint3 years/36,000 miles
Corrosion perforation7 years/100,000 miles
Roadside assistance3 years/36,000 miles
Key fob battery1 year/12,000 miles
Brake pads/shoes1 year/12,000 miles
Halogen/xenon bulbs3 years/36,000 miles
Other bulbs1 year/12,000 miles
Mechanical adjustments1 year/12,000 miles
Wiper blades1 year/12,000 miles (6 months/6,000 miles for wear and tear)
Wheel and tire balanceAt the time of delivery if a problem is present
Mechanical items that fall under the 2-year/24,000-mile federal emissions warranty are covered by Volkswagen’s 4-year/50,000-mile warranty. Emission warranty coverage for other components is longer in California and the 12 states that follow its emission regulations. In all cases, the catalytic converter, gateway control module, engine control module, fuel pump control module, transmission control module, and onboard diagnostics (OBD II), are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.
Separately, Volkswagen’s warranty states that it also covers brake discs or drums and pads or shoes for wear and tear. This is unusual among new car warranties and a welcome bonus. Here is the exact language:
“The repair or replacement of wear and tear items, which are defined as brake pads/shoes worn below manufacturer specifications, and brake discs/drums worn below manufacturer specifications, replaced for wear and tear, are covered up to one year or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wiper blades replaced for wear and tear are covered up to six months or 6,000 miles, whichever occurs first.”

What VW’s Warranty Does Not Cover
There are no surprises on this list. Firstly, tires on 2021 Volkswagen models are covered by warranties from their manufacturers. That’s pretty common among car brands, but it means visiting an authorized dealer of the particular brand of tire, not a VW dealer, if you experience a problem.
The Volkswagen warranty does not cover the following, which involve some common situations:
  • Damage caused by the customer’s negligence, misuse, or alteration of the vehicle.
  • Damage caused by improper fueling, such as putting diesel into a gas-burning vehicle or vice versa.
  • Damage resulting from modifying the vehicle, such as tinkering with the engine computer or installing aftermarket suspension components.
  • If you continue to drive after a warning dashboard light illuminates or the temperature gauge signals an overheating condition, Volkswagen may not cover any resulting damage.

Volkswagen’s Roadside Assistance
Volkswagen’s 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program runs for just 3 years/36,000 miles, not the 4 years/50,000 miles of the warranty period. You could compensate for that gap by purchasing roadside assistance through a service like AAA, or even your own car insurance company. The VW program includes the following services:
  • Battery jump start
  • Flat tire service
  • Emergency fuel service
  • Lock-out service (up to $100 per occurrence)
  • Extrication/winch service (when performed in conjunction with the tow)
  • Emergency towing to nearest Volkswagen dealer or authorized service provider
  • Trip interruption coverage up to $100 per day for lodging and meals for a maximum of five days for a total benefit of $500 per occurrence – if a covered repair occurs 100 miles or more from the car owner’s home
Those benefits are also included with the Volkswagen extended warranty plans, plus:
  • Rental car reimbursement up to $35 per day for up to 10 days if required
  • Trip interruption coverage increases to $200 per day for a maximum of five days

Volkswagen’s Roadside Assistance
Volkswagen’s 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program runs for just 3 years/36,000 miles, not the 4 years/50,000 miles of the warranty period. You could compensate for that gap by purchasing roadside assistance through a service like AAA, or even your own car insurance company. The VW program includes the following services:
  • Battery jump start
  • Flat tire service
  • Emergency fuel service
  • Lock-out service (up to $100 per occurrence)
  • Extrication/winch service (when performed in conjunction with the tow)
  • Emergency towing to nearest Volkswagen dealer or authorized service provider
  • Trip interruption coverage up to $100 per day for lodging and meals for a maximum of five days for a total benefit of $500 per occurrence – if a covered repair occurs 100 miles or more from the car owner’s home
Those benefits are also included with the Volkswagen extended warranty plans, plus:
  • Rental car reimbursement up to $35 per day for up to 10 days if required
  • Trip interruption coverage increases to $200 per day for a maximum of five days

·
Registered
4 Posts
2021 basically brand new Cross Sport EPC light came on and vehicle immediately felt like it was "running rough"

I understand I have 1800 and mines have been in the shop makes 4 times now I’m in a loaner now I have not been able to enjoy

·
Registered
28 Posts
“Needless to say based on the car failing at 1000 miles and then the service issue and especially the lack of communication from the VW dealership our view of VW is not very good at the moment.”

So far my experience with VW service had been terrible. Car was in the shop for a month with not a single phone call to let me what was going on. I involved VW customer care in the matter. Finally get the car back and the issue is still prensent. They seem to using that b.s sway bar link repair to fix the steering issues when the swag bars are not the issue. I have invloved a lemon law attorney and has advised me to bring the car again. Also when the ac was repaired they scuffed up the plastic on the dashboard in different places. Brining the car back this Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
“Brought a 2021.5 Atlas Brand new with 4 miles on it…900 miles into it and I’ve encountered the same exact problem…..fuel injectors are on back order, so I have a loaner from them free of charge. Didn’t get any pushback from them at all”

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, really getting nervous after finding this forum. We just bought a brand new 2021.5 Atlas V6 R-line 30 days ago and at just over 1500 miles got the "rough riding" and EPC light and flashing engine light. Barely made it to our neighborhood, thank God we weren't on a trip somewhere! WTH? Dealership said this isn't the norm, yet I'm reading others with the same issue.

I have to ask...do we have a Lemon Law issue or are the cars okay after the initial issue (fuel injector?)? We invested heavily into this car for our family's needs and I'm angry to think we may be dealing with a horrible, unreliable car now :(. Would so appreciate other's outcome stories!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me and my 21.5 at about 900miles. I was about 200 miles away from home and barely made it back. They fixed the fuel injector and I’m at over 2500 miles now and no more problems. I’m thinking a bad batch of injectors

Well, really getting nervous after finding this forum. We just bought a brand new 2021.5 Atlas V6 R-line 30 days ago and at just over 1500 miles got the "rough riding" and EPC light and flashing engine light. Barely made it to our neighborhood, thank God we weren't on a trip somewhere! WTH? Dealership said this isn't the norm, yet I'm reading others with the same issue.

I have to ask...do we have a Lemon Law issue or are the cars okay after the initial issue (fuel injector?)? We invested heavily into this car for our family's needs and I'm angry to think we may be dealing with a horrible, unreliable car now :(. Would so appreciate other's outcome stories!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me and my 21.5 at about 900miles. I was about 200 miles away from home and barely made it back. They fixed the fuel injector and I’m at over 2500 miles now and no more problems. I’m thinking a bad batch of injectors
Thank you and so glad it seems all worked out for you! I will for sure ask about this today! I'm really hoping this isn't a lemon; we really like the car otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well 1 month since the bad fuel injector was fixed. I was told by the dealership that they will only replace them if they are indeed found to be faulty, even though they KNOW that there was a bad batch out there. So now I worry and wait to see if I have other faulty ones or just that one. I am still not planning any long road trips until at least many months from now because I want to be sure this doesn't happen again. I love our Atlas, even though gas mileage isn't so great (bring back Trump gas prices!), but more concerned about long-term reliability still. We shall see.....

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
I had an EPC issue this past week that is related here. So firstly, CEL (check engine light) and EPC (electronic powertrain control) are a bit different. Often, small issues/faults will trip a solid CEL which often is not an issue that requires not driving, immediately dealer service, ec. EPC is a bit different and indicates something more serious caused the ECU's safeties to kick in and put the car in "limp mode" so you don't cause damage. For me, at 70mph ACC on coming home from a 200 mile day trip, I had an abrupt blinking CEL (bad) and EPC - lost power/couldn't get over a certain RPM. Pulled over. Now being familar with VWs and having several (limp mode is nothing new to me with my tuned Sportwagen), I just turned the Atlas off then back, boom...no more CEL/EPC and drove the rest of the way home with no drama. I scanned when I got home with OBDEleven which showed stored codes for misfires and fuelling issues. It hasn't come back and I'm going with at this point a simple hiccup where it lost fuel pressure causing the misfires and subsequent limp mode. Could be fuel injector related for sure so will keep an eye on it. 2018 Atlas w/35K on the clock.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I had my 2021 Atlas cross sport for about 12 days before my engine light went on and brought it in for service to find out it has malfunctioned fuel injector. I am beyond livid ! The car has 700 miles on it !!!! I am trying to work with VW now as I feel they need to rectify this problem and major disappointment

1 - 20 of 20 Posts