Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took our new Atlas Cross Sport into the dealer after we had a number of issues with the navigation system and the radio. The navigation system seems to have extremely limited data and the maps are terrible. We traded in a 2020 Tiguan for it and the Nav on the Tiguan was great. You could see all the streets and it worked. I'm absolutely baffled at how bad the Cross Sport nav is! In addition, the radio would just freeze requiring a stop and restart of the car.

They kept the car for 9 hours and when we got it back, the Nav is still displaying what looks to me like very limited info. There is no SD card in any of the slots.

Additionally, the manual and the website seem to state that you can update all the software from your home wi-fi via the update tab in the setting menu. I've not been able to get this to work.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Really unhappy with this situation. Especially because the car is a BEAST and really drives! But this stuff has to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We just took our new Atlas Cross Sport into the dealer after we had a number of issues with the navigation system and the radio. The navigation system seems to have extremely limited data and the maps are terrible. We traded in a 2020 Tiguan for it and the Nav on the Tiguan was great. You could see all the streets and it worked. I'm absolutely baffled at how bad the Cross Sport nav is! In addition, the radio would just freeze requiring a stop and restart of the car.

They kept the car for 9 hours and when we got it back, the Nav is still displaying what looks to me like very limited info. There is no SD card in any of the slots.

Additionally, the manual and the website seem to state that you can update all the software from your home wi-fi via the update tab in the setting menu. I've not been able to get this to work.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Really unhappy with this situation. Especially because the car is a BEAST and really drives! But this stuff has to work.
I took delivery of a new 21.5 Atlas SEL Premium in June. I have to believe the Navi and radio software/hardware are the same. I must agree. The Navi does work, just a little clugy using it and the amount of detail provided is pretty limited. For the radio. I know exactly what you are talking about. From Day 3, about once every week or 2 the radio goes silent. Everything is on and seems to work. but no sound. found out that pressing power button and holding it for 10-12 seconds, reboots the radio and that solves the problem until next time. I think the software gets confused and thinks there is someone talking on the phone and silences the radio. For me the issue happens more frequently when bot my wife's and my phone are in the Atlas with Bluetooth on. So, I leave BT off on my phone. Seems to have less problem with the radio. What I really don;t understand is the VW Engineers MUST know this bug exists. Gotta be software. And why not fix it and get the update pushed out. Also agree the mechanicals and ride dynamics are outstanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took delivery of a new 21.5 Atlas SEL Premium in June. I have to believe the Navi and radio software/hardware are the same. I must agree. The Navi does work, just a little clugy using it and the amount of detail provided is pretty limited. For the radio. I know exactly what you are talking about. From Day 3, about once every week or 2 the radio goes silent. Everything is on and seems to work. but no sound. found out that pressing power button and holding it for 10-12 seconds, reboots the radio and that solves the problem until next time. I think the software gets confused and thinks there is someone talking on the phone and silences the radio. For me the issue happens more frequently when bot my wife's and my phone are in the Atlas with Bluetooth on. So, I leave BT off on my phone. Seems to have less problem with the radio. What I really don;t understand is the VW Engineers MUST know this bug exists. Gotta be software. And why not fix it and get the update pushed out. Also agree the mechanicals and ride dynamics are outstanding.
Yes. The techs told me straight out this was not ready for Prime Time and VW dropped the ball. That it took NINE HOURS to download new software that didn't really fix anything shows that to be the case. It's maddening.

Still...that engine...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everyone needs to get a hold of VW customer service and complain about this issue. I am in the conversation with two SE. representatives now about the issue and have documented everything. I keep bringing into service to make it documented as well. And the technicians are telling me not to bother because there’s nothing they can do. That’s unacceptable. Everyone that’s having issues with the cross sports and the audio issues no matter what feature is giving you grief, needs to get on the wire with VW corporation they need to fix this.
They absolutely do know what’s going on, they’re trying to stick their head in the sand. They’re not going to get away with it. I spent a lot of money on this car.
Two days ago my husband was driving in the entire screens went completely black he had nothing and the car was rolling. To me that’s a extreme hazard. And he has a video of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had this issue with my Atlas SEL V6 since the day I bought it new 1/2021. I had it in/out of service. I requested a replacement/buy back. We ended up going to arbitration via BBB. They did have it in 4 wks ago for software update that seems to (FINALLY) work, and I did get an agreed upon financial compensation. I no longer have radio/cameras freezing. The nav sucks so I use my CarPlay navigation and that’s been a good work around.

I agree. Report it to VW customer service with all your documentation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chiming in with my experience. We just bought a 2021.5 Atlas SEL Premium R-Line 2 weeks ago. My wife already experience the no audio issue. I have personally experienced freezing of the Infotainment screen. Then I had my wife start telling me the NAV wouldn't load saying its waiting to load, and would hang. Then, 2 days ago, while driving, the system rebooted itself, where the Fender screen shows up, and its was like you just started the car. This happened twice in about a 10 minute span, and then the screen went dark. Nothing would bring it back. The SOS system said it won't work, NAV can't launch on drivers HUD, says it cant load. And powering car off and on doesn't change anything, it no longer will power up.

I dropped the car to dealer on Wednesday 10/6, (only having had the car 11 days), and 2 days in they are "still diagnosing". I'm about ready to tell them to give me my money back, and get out of this mess! Any advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is what I received from VW.com Customer Care on my first complaint to them. It took me 3 weeks to get into VW in Daytona and my Altas Cross Sport has been in service 3 times since. I have another appointment next week.

read below....

Thank you for reaching out to us to provide your feedback. We understand that forums may state the same experience. At this time, there is no information to provide regarding a software update. It is best to visit your local VW Dealership to have vehicle concerns addressed. If there is a recall, or software update in the future, you will be notified by mail.

Best,

Jamisha K.
Digital Operations Advocate, Volkswagen Customer CARE

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
3800 Hamlin Rd.
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
United States of America

www.vw.com

Information submitted via email communications are subject to our privacy statement, available at www.vw.com/privacy.

After going into service for Audio 3 time and having my EPC light go on and limping to service with 5 cylinders( a fuel injector went bad, 2500 miles on the car) .I have been on the phone and email with customer care.
This is unaccepable and I will not stop complaining
everyone needs to complain.
The biggest discouragement it that I have had 3 Techs tell me not to bother bringing it in due to the case that there is nothing they can do and that they have several on thier list with the same issue.

Call and be a squeaky wheel....
Its a crying shame....I love my car....

Numbers below
800-822-8987
ex 43333
ex 43089

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chiming in with my experience. We just bought a 2021.5 Atlas SEL Premium R-Line 2 weeks ago. My wife already experience the no audio issue. I have personally experienced freezing of the Infotainment screen. Then I had my wife start telling me the NAV wouldn't load saying its waiting to load, and would hang. Then, 2 days ago, while driving, the system rebooted itself, where the Fender screen shows up, and its was like you just started the car. This happened twice in about a 10 minute span, and then the screen went dark. Nothing would bring it back. The SOS system said it won't work, NAV can't launch on drivers HUD, says it cant load. And powering car off and on doesn't change anything, it no longer will power up.

I dropped the car to dealer on Wednesday 10/6, (only having had the car 11 days), and 2 days in they are "still diagnosing". I'm about ready to tell them to give me my money back, and get out of this mess! Any advice?
I would call VW customer service directly. Have copies of everything. I took video with my phone documenting my infotainment issues. If that doesn’t work, you can go through BBB arbitration at BBB AUTO LINE Participants

VW told me in August they had a software fix and I got it in end of Aug. I haven’t had an issue since, tho the navigation still sucks. But I think that’s a design flaw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is what I received from VW.com Customer Care on my first complaint to them. It took me 3 weeks to get into VW in Daytona and my Altas Cross Sport has been in service 3 times since. I have another appointment next week.

read below....

Thank you for reaching out to us to provide your feedback. We understand that forums may state the same experience. At this time, there is no information to provide regarding a software update. It is best to visit your local VW Dealership to have vehicle concerns addressed. If there is a recall, or software update in the future, you will be notified by mail.

Best,

Jamisha K.
Digital Operations Advocate, Volkswagen Customer CARE

Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
3800 Hamlin Rd.
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
United States of America

www.vw.com

Information submitted via email communications are subject to our privacy statement, available at www.vw.com/privacy.

After going into service for Audio 3 time and having my EPC light go on and limping to service with 5 cylinders( a fuel injector went bad, 2500 miles on the car) .I have been on the phone and email with customer care.
This is unaccepable and I will not stop complaining
everyone needs to complain.
The biggest discouragement it that I have had 3 Techs tell me not to bother bringing it in due to the case that there is nothing they can do and that they have several on thier list with the same issue.

Call and be a squeaky wheel....
Its a crying shame....I love my car....

Numbers below
800-822-8987
ex 43333
ex 43089
VW told me the same thing about the forum. I opened a buy back/replacement review with VW. They “denied” it. Then I went through arbitration. They did eventually fix my issue. BBB AUTO LINE Participants

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has been frustrating. Especially when you have three technicians from two different dealerships telling me not to bother to bring it in because there’s something they can do. I can’t even believe that that is the response I’m getting. This is unacceptable. I’m just going through the motions at this point. Best of luck. Keep us posted on your findings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has been frustrating. Especially when you have three technicians from two different dealerships telling me not to bother to bring it in because there’s something they can do. I can’t even believe that that is the response I’m getting. This is unacceptable. I’m just going through the motions at this point. Best of luck. Keep us posted on your findings.
Get documentation of all of this from the Dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish I have seen this blog before I bought my ATLAS SEL 5 days ago ...

I do love it, but have had similar issues in here. My NAV in the center console is static and does not move along the route - it either picks the end point and then an arrow showing where I am off screen. The driver side console works though, and I prefer it. I cant believe I am alone... is there a work around?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make a stink with VW customer service. Document everything . I’ve been in service three times heading for my fourth time and I’ve only had my new atlas cross sport premium for three minutes. Very disappointing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kinda the same issue I was coming on here to check out, or at least sounds like the beginnings are the same. My wife has a 2021 Cross Sport SEL, sometime we will be driving and the USB-C cord that's plugged into the infotainment will just cut out. Gives no power to charge the phone, disconnects it from the system, just totally stops working. When it happens, we have also tried unplugging from the cord and connect via Android Auto wireless, but no Bluetooth will connect then either. We tried turning the entire car off and resetting, without any luck. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it happens, or what makes it start working again. We took it to the dealer after the first time, they said that "Braided cables can cause this issue", which sounded like total BS to me, no car I've ever owned has had this issue due to a type of cable. But, at their suggestion we both a Samsung issued cable, but the problem happened again. We took it in again, they offered no solution and said without an error code they can't do anything. I've tried calling and emailing multiple times to the service department to talk about possible options, now they are totally ghosting us. Didn't know if anyone on here had experienced this too, or had any suggestions for fixing, or causes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts