Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything about this specific issue.

My 2021 Atlas R has been having a braking issue ever since I got it. I got it new in the middle of 2021, so have had it about 1-1/2 years, and have had this issue ever since.
When I start driving the vehicle after it has been sitting for a little while (anywhere between a couple hours to overnight), the first few times I use the brakes, it sounds and feels like the brakes. are grinding. There is a loud metallic grinding noise until I come to a full stop. This will last for several miles, and eventually go away. My concern is that the brakes are getting worn out way quicker than they should. I'm not heavy on the brakes, and only have 16k miles on the car, but like I said, this has been a problem since I got the car. The frustration is that when I bring it into the dealer, they "can't recreate the problem." I image they are jumping in the car as soon as I drop it off, after the brakes are no longer grinding.

Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed? I don't know what to tell the mechanics when I drop it off because they tell me that the brakes look good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
Noisy cold VW brakes are a thing - just google it. They get some rust on the rotors from moisture and are noisy until it has worn off. It's unlikely there is actually anything wrong but as always with brakes, easy to have them looked at/look yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything about this specific issue. My 2021 Atlas R has been having a braking issue ever since I got it. I got it new in the middle of 2021, so have had it about 1-1/2 years, and have had this issue ever since. When I start driving the vehicle after it has been sitting for a little while (anywhere between a couple hours to overnight), the first few times I use the brakes, it sounds and feels like the gears are grinding. There is a loud metallic grinding noise until I come to a full stop. This will last for 4-5 miles, and eventually go away. My concern is that the brakes are getting worn out way quicker than they should. I'm not heavy on the brakes, and only have 16k miles on the car, but like I said, this has been a problem since I got the car. The frustration is that when I bring it into the dealer, they "can't recreate the problem." I image they are jumping in the car as soon as I drop it off, after the brakes are no longer grinding. Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed? I don't know what to tell the mechanics when I drop it off because they tell me that everything looks good with regards to the brakes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I am having the same issue!! It lasts longer than just a few miles for me. I have a 2021 VW Atlas. Bought it in Aug 2020. The rotors had to be replaced at 20K miles! Then this grinding started. Took it in yesterday to the dealership and they advised that this is a known issue. They just told me everything looked fine and dusted off my brakes.They said they are looking into a “fix” for it bc there’s nothing they can do right now. He mentioned some metal inside the brake pads rubbing with the rotors but it won’t ruin the rotors. Looks like this car is going back! Didn’t pay all this money to have my new car sounds like it’s falling apart.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
I am having the same issue!! It lasts longer than just a few miles for me. I have a 2021 VW Atlas. Bought it in Aug 2020. The rotors had to be replaced at 20K miles! Then this grinding started. Took it in yesterday to the dealership and they advised that this is a known issue. They just told me everything looked fine and dusted off my brakes.They said they are looking into a “fix” for it bc there’s nothing they can do right now. He mentioned some metal inside the brake pads rubbing with the rotors but it won’t ruin the rotors. Looks like this car is going back! Didn’t pay all this money to have my new car sounds like it’s falling apart.
Worse case is - a set of pads is less than $100 and you can slap them in yourself easily DIY. I know folks want it all covered under warranty etc. but your time has value and multipe dealer trips is time consuming when ytou know the answer - "normal" - why bother...I suggest Centric Posi-Quiet from Rockauto. Mine are zero dust/quiet. Even if you had to pay an indy shop to slap them in and you bring the pads, this is not very much money. Just a realistic option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything about this specific issue. My 2021 Atlas R has been having a braking issue ever since I got it. I got it new in the middle of 2021, so have had it about 1-1/2 years, and have had this issue ever since. When I start driving the vehicle after it has been sitting for a little while (anywhere between a couple hours to overnight), the first few times I use the brakes, it sounds and feels like the gears are grinding. There is a loud metallic grinding noise until I come to a full stop. This will last for 4-5 miles, and eventually go away. My concern is that the brakes are getting worn out way quicker than they should. I'm not heavy on the brakes, and only have 16k miles on the car, but like I said, this has been a problem since I got the car. The frustration is that when I bring it into the dealer, they "can't recreate the problem." I image they are jumping in the car as soon as I drop it off, after the brakes are no longer grinding. Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed? I don't know what to tell the mechanics when I drop it off because they tell me that everything looks good with regards to the brakes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I have the exact same problem with Atlas 2021 model. I took it to dealer a few times and they said there is nothing wrong with it. I am just gonna drive for another three years and will never get VW ever again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything about this specific issue.

My 2021 Atlas R has been having a braking issue ever since I got it. I got it new in the middle of 2021, so have had it about 1-1/2 years, and have had this issue ever since.
When I start driving the vehicle after it has been sitting for a little while (anywhere between a couple hours to overnight), the first few times I use the brakes, it sounds and feels like the brakes. are grinding. There is a loud metallic grinding noise until I come to a full stop. This will last for several miles, and eventually go away. My concern is that the brakes are getting worn out way quicker than they should. I'm not heavy on the brakes, and only have 16k miles on the car, but like I said, this has been a problem since I got the car. The frustration is that when I bring it into the dealer, they "can't recreate the problem." I image they are jumping in the car as soon as I drop it off, after the brakes are no longer grinding.

Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed? I don't know what to tell the mechanics when I drop it off because they tell me that the brakes look good. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The brakes shops I took mine to said the pads are fine it's just that the car manufacturer installed cheap ceramic brakes to save money. Ceramic brakes will squeak and make grinding noise with just a little dust on them. Of course they wanted to charge me almost $700 to replace them. I just went online and ordered a set of new pads and will have an independent mechanic install them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I"m having the same issue. Came online to search this problem and behold find you all having the same issue. I've called my dealership and they told me there is nothing they can do. So, i guess i'll just have to replace it myself. I am never buying VW again. Been having issues and recalls ever since I bought the car new in 2021.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts