Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

2020 Atlas Cross Sport trailer wiring activation

11K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  sreston 
#1 ·
Just bought new Cross Sport with installed tow package. Remove blank cover and installed Pollack 7pin connector. Using U-haul convertor from 7 pin (round) to 4 pin straight connector. Using volt meter NOT getting any power to the lightning circuit. VW dealer told me I had to pay $139 (one hour labor) charge to “activate” towing wire circuit. Is this ripoff true?

thanks
DaleF

#5 ·
I went to a U-Haul trailer rental. They let me plug an actual trailer connection into the adapter they sell that was plugged into the Atlas’s 7 pin connector and when tested the lights and turn signals worked. No ‘Activation’ by a dealer (at a $139/hour cost) needed.

#10 ·
@mikehacksthings I have a Curt 7-pin tester. I don't have my camper yet - just trying to get ready. When I plug in the tester, 3 of the LEDs blink faintly. I don't see the expected lights based on the status of my vehicle.

I installed the Pollak 11893 7-blade adapter myself.

I'm taking it in next week to have the shop at the dealership expose the brake controller harness for me. I'll ask the tech about it and see if they have any idea what's going on.

#12 ·
I was in the same boat. Bought a connector and tester from Amazon and thought I had something wrong with my Atlas plug. Turns out VW recognizes when trailer lights are plugged in. There needs to be enough load on the wire so you need to plug lights in. You can not just use an LED tester. I had the same result, just 3 flashing lights on the tester. Took it to the dealer and they wanted $180 diagnosis fee, I walked right out. I ended up going to a local home depot and just asked if I could plug in one of their trailers to test my car. They were nice enough to let me and everything worked as expected.

I'd chalk this one up to German over engineering.

#15 ·
When I first used my Atlas to tow, I had a similar problem. I bought a new adapter and it didn't work. I plugged it in and out a few times and voila, it worked. A few times since then, I had to reseat the plug for the lights to work. The good thing about the Atlas is that it will tell you to check your trailer lights if there is a problem.

#16 · (Edited)
For those of you towing with your Cross Sport (I have a 2020) or Atlas - is your camper battery charging while your camper is connected? I'm trying to test before I get my camper. I took a look at the 7-way with a meter and I'm not seeing ~12v. Could be that the Cross Sport can tell there's not a trailer connected. Not sure if that's the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.