Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an indie shop do fluids tomorrow on my car at its 3 year just under 40k mile mark. Watched this video which raises some questions.

The front center fastener for the plastic under-pan cover is the only non-screw, and is a plastic plug with a plastic center pin that when driven flush expands the tip end. The tech in the video drives the centerpin through and then does a trick with an air hose to recover it. He remarks that the average oil service shop would just lose it and not use it.

I wonder if mine is even there, having had the last oil change done at an indie shop far far away from the nearest dealer.. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Would a replacement for this be available at the parts desk of the average dealer?

And for capacity, the tech shows how filling it with 5.8 liters (tiny bit over 6 qts) does NOT fill to recommended dipstick fill level, and it takes 7 quarts to get there.

What is your take on these two things: the fastener, and the quantity to fill?

·
Super Moderator
1,161 Posts
The center fastener is 100% not needed. Toss it. I DIY my oil changes and it was gone when I started doing them vs. the dealer.

The oil capacity - it is by the book ~6 qts which always works for me and puts the oil in the range it should be on the dipstick. Easy to check when you pick it up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You need to be careful and not overfill. I was concerned when I got my Atlas because they always put in 6 qts and it wasn't near the top fill line, usually a little below the mid point. Watching an episode of Motorweek (Pat Goss), I have come to understand that the oil expands with heat and if you overfill the extra oil burns off and potentially cruds up in your throttle body. Quick Fill garages use bulk oil and tend to fill up to the top fill line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts