Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues with a 2019 Atlas SE with a V6. Car has ~60,000 miles and we bought it used.

Issues we have had with the car:
Uses some coolant, have had to add to the expansion chamber a few times. Notice a coolant smell but the few VW dealers I have look at it have found nothing wrong.

Occasionally when driving the car with the cruise control on an issue will occur that shuts off the cruise control. Shutting off the car and turning it back on clears the issue and it'll be fine for a random amount of time before doing it again. A dealer told my that my windshield was dirty and that was causing my issues.

The larger issue (has happened on two occasions) I have is related to an occasional EPC light that will come on, Service Engine Soon Light will flash and you are then unable to accelerate. This forces you to cross lanes of traffic with no acceleration to get it to the shoulder where you can shut if off. Each time its happened shutting off the car, waiting 30 seconds then turn it back on clears the issue and you are able to drive it. I have had two separate dealerships look at this now and they are unable to find anything wrong with it. One dealer said it did not show any codes and the second dealer stated that they could see sporatic misfiring, but since it did not have a light on at the time they could not tell me what was wrong with it.

Any help on what to get a dealership to look into would be appreciated. Vehicle is still under warranty.

Thank you...

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
Having issues with a 2019 Atlas SE with a V6. Car has ~60,000 miles and we bought it used.

Issues we have had with the car:
Uses some coolant, have had to add to the expansion chamber a few times. Notice a coolant smell but the few VW dealers I have look at it have found nothing wrong.

Occasionally when driving the car with the cruise control on an issue will occur that shuts off the cruise control. Shutting off the car and turning it back on clears the issue and it'll be fine for a random amount of time before doing it again. A dealer told my that my windshield was dirty and that was causing my issues.

The larger issue (has happened on two occasions) I have is related to an occasional EPC light that will come on, Service Engine Soon Light will flash and you are then unable to accelerate. This forces you to cross lanes of traffic with no acceleration to get it to the shoulder where you can shut if off. Each time its happened shutting off the car, waiting 30 seconds then turn it back on clears the issue and you are able to drive it. I have had two separate dealerships look at this now and they are unable to find anything wrong with it. One dealer said it did not show any codes and the second dealer stated that they could see sporatic misfiring, but since it did not have a light on at the time they could not tell me what was wrong with it.

Any help on what to get a dealership to look into would be appreciated. Vehicle is still under warranty.

Thank you...
1) Coolant loss is very common and could be the water pump (that was it for me). Others have had issues with head gaskets but honestly, that is probably more rare than the internet makes it out to be.
2) Cruise control could be related to needing a software update or even a mis-aligned front sensor.
3) EPC "limp mode" 100% leaves a code stored that a dealer should be able to see. Likely misfires related to a bad fuel injector. Can also be coil packs/plugs. I had this happen once on the highway, it was related to the injectory, never happened again.

You still are under the factory 6/72 warranty here, just need to get the dealer to properly disgnose the issue.

· Registered
105 Posts
1) Coolant loss is very common and could be the water pump (that was it for me). Others have had issues with head gaskets but honestly, that is probalby more rare than the internet makes it out to be.
2) Cruise control could be related to needing a software update or even a mis-aligned front sensor.
3) EPC "limp mode" 100% leaves a code stored that a dealer should be able to see. Likely misfires related to a bad fuel injector. Can also be coil packs/plugs. I had this happen once on the highway, it was related to the injectory, never happened again.

You still are under the factory 6/72 warranty here, just need to get the dealer to properly disgnose the issue.
For $80 US on ebay you can buy a VW code reader and does so much more. At least when u go to the dealer u can show and tell the codes in his face. I have one and can now replace my battery in my 2019 SE V6 for a 200 dollar savings. And again, you go to the dealership armed with information, no more bullshiit there.
Communication Device Font Telephony Gadget Telephone

· Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
For $80 US on ebay you can buy a VW code reader and does so much more. At least when u go to the dealer u can show and tell the codes in his face. I have one and can now replace my battery in my 2019 SE V6 for a 200 dollar savings. And again, you go to the dealership armed with information, no more bullshiit there. View attachment 3109
No - this is not the one you want. For VW/Audi, you need either: OBDEleven or VCDS to actually see ALL the possible codes. The one you have listed will show hard codes that give a CEL however but not worth $80 when you can get OBDEleven for close to it and actually be able to do tons of other things with it. I too always self-diagnose before any dealer visit to try to help the tech as much as possible.

· Registered
2 Posts
Having issues with a 2019 Atlas SE with a V6. Car has ~60,000 miles and we bought it used. Issues we have had with the car: Uses some coolant, have had to add to the expansion chamber a few times. Notice a coolant smell but the few VW dealers I have look at it have found nothing wrong. Occasionally when driving the car with the cruise control on an issue will occur that shuts off the cruise control. Shutting off the car and turning it back on clears the issue and it'll be fine for a random amount of time before doing it again. A dealer told my that my windshield was dirty and that was causing my issues. The larger issue (has happened on two occasions) I have is related to an occasional EPC light that will come on, Service Engine Soon Light will flash and you are then unable to accelerate. This forces you to cross lanes of traffic with no acceleration to get it to the shoulder where you can shut if off. Each time its happened shutting off the car, waiting 30 seconds then turn it back on clears the issue and you are able to drive it. I have had two separate dealerships look at this now and they are unable to find anything wrong with it. One dealer said it did not show any codes and the second dealer stated that they could see sporatic misfiring, but since it did not have a light on at the time they could not tell me what was wrong with it. Any help on what to get a dealership to look into would be appreciated. Vehicle is still under warranty. Thank you...
I had the same issue. This was due to the door wiring harness "recall". Well thats what the deal stated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts