Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. This video is from a couple months ago and things have gotten worse sounding. Basically when we reverse and turn it sounds like a loud screeching noise. We were told by an independent auto mechanic it’s a known issue with the VW Atlas and that it has to do with the brakes and rotors. He told us basically that VW has installed cheap parts that get a lot of buildup of brake dust on the rotors. He said we can deal with the noise or replace them. Replacing them we would end up having the same issue. Or we can replace them with higher quality items to resolve the issue. Two questions:
1. Has anyone heard of anything like this/experienced similar issues?
2. Anyone know if this is a recall or would be replaced under warranty?

·
212 Posts
There was a post awhile back on this issue, in most cases rotors are considered a ' wear ' item I'd check with your dealer about your
concerns ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
How many miles are on the car? It sounds like the brake pad wear indicator is starting to touch the rotor indicating that it's almost time to be replaced. If it only happens in reverse - could be that who ever assembled the brakes put the pads in upside down (wear indicator is at the bottom vs top).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on the car? It sounds like the brake pad wear indicator is starting to touch the rotor indicating that it's almost time to be replaced. If it only happens in reverse - could be that who ever assembled the brakes put the pads in upside down (wear indicator is at the bottom vs top).
There are roughly 30K miles. We had the brakes checked and were told they are basically brand new. But that’s an interesting point about the pads being upside down. I’ll have that looked into! Thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I partly agree with he mechanic, it sounds like brake dust is causing the squeeling when the rotors are cold. I have expensive brake pads and rotors on my Toyota and it does the same when cold. It is not uncommon, but should not do it once the rotors heat up. .

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Cold brakes squealing in the morning etc. is perfectly normal. Does it do this when slowing down once you are driving? The OE pads are very dusty which can also lead to this condition. This is not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only happens in reverse, after sitting all night or sometimes even for a few hours. I live in Oregon and it hasn’t been too cold. But this was also happening all summer when it wasn’t cold at all.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
It only happens in reverse, after sitting all night or sometimes even for a few hours. I live in Oregon and it hasn’t been too cold. But this was also happening all summer when it wasn’t cold at all.
I know you may not want to hear it but - normal. Lots of cars will make some noise when you drive it after sitting at night and condensation causes bits of surface oxidation on the rotors. It gets cleaned off as soon as you drive it. Typically if you have worn down the pads enough to get to the wear indicators this will happen all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 09 Jeep, 11 Town&Country and 19 VW Atlas. I "expect" noise after they have sit. Wait till you drive it in snow/salt, let it sit for a couple days and back out of the drive. My god. You would think you are grinding squirrels holding up in your wheel wells for heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts