Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post here. Longtime VW owner but new to Atlas. The wife traded in a Cadillac Escalade for a new 2019 SEL Premium - 4motion, captions chairs, and panoramic sunroof. Golden oak interior - everything we could have wanted.

From the get-go the front end was noisy but she was the main driver so I didn't really take notice until the wheels started skipping around on my during low-speed turns. Took it into the dealer and diagnosed with a broken steering rack. Neither of us has hit or driven over anything, and we only have 3200 miles.

Any thoughts, other than a faulty OEM, about the cause? Or any concerns over this vehicle's longevity? I tend to keep them 10 years +. This is my 5th VW between us and two daughters of driving age. THANKS!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since the steering rack in the Atlas is electrically assisted it, that could be where the fault lies. Since we haven't seen many other issues on here related to steering you may have just got a faulty part from factory. Have they told you how long it will take to fix? There have been issues with backordered parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi -

Just purchased a 2019 Premium 4 Motion also and noticed issues as you described right away. Brought in at 600mi to dealership; 2 weeks ago (still with them as of this post). They said the steering rack for us is not communicating with the car. Seems we got the last part in the region and they escalated it to a level 2 (programmer/engineer involved). The mechanic said they drive a 2019 atlas also and he had a similar experience. They said they thought the lack of parts available is due to the re-doing of the part or something on it. We asked if we can get a different car and she said maybe through a buy back program if they can't fix it.... They told us they will ask to get us a gift card, payment or something for the inconvenience.

So far, this car is a lemon in my mind.

·
Registered
256 Posts
@mortonmn sorry to hear you're also going through this problem

fortunately you seem to have a good dealer and that can make all the difference!

have you thought about what else you would get if you move on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are also having a steering issue with ours. Anyone have anything similar to this.
Yes, but mine is not yet quite as bad as your sound when turning the wheel. Took the 2019 Atlas (3900 miles) to VW and was informed that they are ordering a steering rack. Appears to be a flaw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! First post here. Longtime VW owner but new to Atlas. The wife traded in a Cadillac Escalade for a new 2019 SEL Premium - 4motion, captions chairs, and panoramic sunroof. Golden oak interior - everything we could have wanted.

From the get-go the front end was noisy but she was the main driver so I didn't really take notice until the wheels started skipping around on my during low-speed turns. Took it into the dealer and diagnosed with a broken steering rack. Neither of us has hit or driven over anything, and we only have 3200 miles.

Any thoughts, other than a faulty OEM, about the cause? Or any concerns over this vehicle's longevity? I tend to keep them 10 years +. This is my 5th VW between us and two daughters of driving age. THANKS!!
I have 2019 Atlas SEL with 8k miles. Had to have the “Steering Rack” replaced. Definitely improved the steering, and handling. But why isn’t this a recall?

·
Banned
109 Posts
I have 2019 Atlas SEL with 8k miles. Had to have the “Steering Rack” replaced. Definitely improved the steering, and handling. But why isn’t this a recall?
have the coolant/head gasket issues and Catalytic converters been recalled? Huge expensive issues here affecting a lot of owners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got it back and it seems to have fixed the problem. No noise.
Doesn’t mean your problem is solved, I purchased a 2020 Atlas on March 8th 2020, had to take it in to the dealer within 2weeks because of a loud noise from the steering, it was at the dealer for 4days, they said its the steering rack that needs replacing and replaced it, the noise came back, my Atlas went back at the dealer yesterday, got a call that the steering rack will be replaced again. It’s ridiculous and frustrating. I had a 2017 jetta from October 2017, never had to do anything but reg servicing and maintenance, I sold it and purchased this Atlas, worse mistake ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 atlas SE with only 9k miles just got the steering rack replaced, abs warning lights fixed and it’s being checked for specks of rust in the roof. Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
above two posts are fine example of how forum could be biased towards the negative...they've had their cars for months and quiet as a mouse but only register to post issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first post here, was the first post for that owner and it was very helpful for me knowing that I was not alone with the steering rack issue. I just stated my facts. Great car overall but I am having issues and you are not even posting any solutions or suggestions. Sad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got it back and it seems to have fixed the problem. No noise.
I too am now having this issue with 6000 miles on 2019 Atlas. Service department is 2 weeks out and they state they cannot order the part until they diagnosis the issue but it is on back order for other customers with no date known. They state it is safe to drive. Thoughts on this? Also, was this covered by warranty?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts