Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New joiner. Not sure this is an issue, but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and get some advice. The car has 4400 miles on it and the rear 2 tires are completely balded on the inside (metal wires were showing). Took it to the dealer today and was told that it was an alignment issue and need $800 for alignment and new tires. He said it's likely that I hit a bit pothole. Anyone else has their tires wear out this fast? Can the alignment be thrown off that badly from a pothole? My previous car was a QX4 and after 18 years never had the alignment been that bad and I've hit lots of potholes. If it does get thrown off that badly, any suggestions on how to check before the tires are ripped to shreds?

Thanks,
CC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

New joiner. Not sure this is an issue, but wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and get some advice. The car has 4400 miles on it and the rear 2 tires are completely balded on the inside (metal wires were showing). Took it to the dealer today and was told that it was an alignment issue and need $800 for alignment and new tires. He said it's likely that I hit a bit pothole. Anyone else has their tires wear out this fast? Can the alignment be thrown off that badly from a pothole? My previous car was a QX4 and after 18 years never had the alignment been that bad and I've hit lots of potholes. If it does get thrown off that badly, any suggestions on how to check before the tires are ripped to shreds?

Thanks,
CC
the car should have felt weird to drive after the pot holes if that is cases. I think it was misaligned when you got it

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Well, did you hit anything like that? It certainly can cause alignment issues but it would have to be WAY off to cause an issue over that short mileage. Tough one - dealer will have a hard time getting that kind of "wear/tear" item covered. Could have been off since new but again, should have noticed it driving funny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car was very fidgety on wet road especially in a sweeping turn. I chalked it up to me not being used to a big car vs QX 4. Other than that, it actually drive well when dry. But negative camber probably helped the handling.

The part that is troubling is the tires wear so quickly. I’m hoping it was a initial set up issue. Because I live in NYC and I drive over potholes all the time. If this alignment issue was caused by a pothole, I potentially have to replace my tires fairly often or pay for alignments very often. Either way, it’s an expensive maintenance item.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The car was very fidgety on wet road especially in a sweeping turn. I chalked it up to me not being used to a big car vs QX 4. Other than that, it actually drive well when dry. But negative camber probably helped the handling.

The part that is troubling is the tires wear so quickly. I’m hoping it was a initial set up issue. Because I live in NYC and I drive over potholes all the time. If this alignment issue was caused by a pothole, I potentially have to replace my tires fairly often or pay for alignments very often. Either way, it’s an expensive maintenance item.
I would speak to the dealership and if they can't help speak to corp. There is no reason for that kind of wear and you not notice the difference. If it was caused by a pothole you would feel a difference after the event. It had to come from the dealership that way. Maybe on a test drive someone did it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about the tire excessive wear warranty. Tires usually have a mileage point, before which they will prorate the replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Highly unlikely you hit a pothole with both back wheels knocking the camber out. An alignment should run a guy around $100 and new tires installed and balanced should be around $265 each for the 20" continentals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts