Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 ATLAS SE WITH TECH

Just purchased off the lot, and within first 1,000 miles there are some serious issues!

Problem 1- Noise, Noise Everywhere
This car is very loud on the road. There is a lot of noise from the wheels, the motor, the roof, and the side beams. When I'm driving this car on the highway I can hear a symphony of the engine chortling, beams vibrating, wind whistling, and wheels quavering.

Solution 1- Going to strip the interior and install Dynamat and other sound dampening/deadening tapes and mats. This can get pretty high in cost and I've had previous success in the past using roofing supplies to mitigate costs. I'll gut it. I'll have to remove seats, paneling, and headboard and install dampening material to make this thing quiet. I got my nissan altima pretty quiet: it almost sounds like I'm driving in coffin. This may never be possible with an Atlas but this is first on my to-do list. Any advice will help.

Problem 2- STEERING WHEEL REFLECTION
The steering wheel has a reflective black/ glossy material above the controls that constantly shines the sun in my eyes. I live in a very sunny place. This is driving me, as Charlie Brown would say, NUTS!

Solution 2- I really don't want to disassemble a steering wheel, and am hoping I can use my wife's nail polish brushes to apply a non reflective paint that is very durable., Any advice would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Problem 3- SUN ROOF VISOR IS PAPER THIN
The sun roof visor is only a thin cloth. The window is tinted but the cloth does not help and its way too sunny inside the car!

Solution 3- I want to sew an opaque liner into the cloth underneath the sunroof. I do not how this will affect the functionality of the visor and sun roof operations so I am very reluctant and want anybody's advice!!!

Problem 4- STOCK FLOOR MATS ARE TOO SMALL
Kids making a mess! And not only kids but I also drag a fair bit of dirt into car and the stock mats only cover a small fraction of the floor. I do not want to spend hours vacuuming.

Solution 4-
I'm going to buy the Weathertech Floor Mats. I am also buying plastic carpet tape that movers use. I will lay down the movers tape then put the floor liners on top. I'm pretty sure the movers tape will have to be replaced every year or two but it comes in a very large roll and may even help with the road noise. I wish cars just had removable carpet so I could unplug the drains and hose the sucker down.

Problem 5- SEAT COVERS?
Kids making a mess again, but now on the seats. I do not want to pay a king's ransom for top line seat covers, and would love to do this project with my kids so they learn to rule of hard work and respect which will hopefully impress a lesson upon them to not desecrate this new car.
Solution 5-
I have sewing templates for universal seat covers and am going to buy a cheap poly/cotton fabric and make my own (teach kids how to use a sewing machine). I've tried this before, and failed. I think I can do it better this time. Even more so, I have purchased the expensive seat liners and they disintegrate too (only slightly longer in time). Any suggestions on materials are appreciated.

Thanks for reading and please don't hold back and give me the best advice/ criticisms.

This was only my first test spin and I've not gotten into the nuts and bolts yet, but there will undoubtebly be more to follow!

·
Registered
37 Posts
A couple of things...
V6 or 2.0T?
18's or 20's?
Need to know this to answer #1

#2 - I live in a sunny place too (FL) and I don't recall this being an issue. As for painting your steering wheel trim? I guess it is worth a shot? Or if you are crafty (which it sounds like you may be) you can find some matte vinyl to make some overlays on the trim
#3 -The only real suggestion I have for you is getting your pano roof a darker tint to help with the sun if it is bothering you. I wouldn't bother trying to add more material to it, and those things are expensive to fix if they break.
#4 - Seems overkill, but ok, sounds like it will solve your issue. Although the Weathertech mats offer pretty good coverage as is.
#5 - Also seems a bit overkill, but at the same time sounds like a fun project for your family. If it end in disaster, we just have the OEM captains chair seat covers in ours and they are doing just fine.

Honestly? Most of your solutions seem somewhat excessive. But it seems like you have tackled projects like those before so I guess it's no biggie! Lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the forum UpgradeAtlas :cool:

#1 Only noise I noticed was the noisy Continental tires, replaced with Michelin Defenders well worth the investment.
#2 I have a two way approach, 5" 5% Window Visor Tint and adjust the tilt wheel.
3# I'd agree with vbrad tint the glass.
4# Weather Tech will work for you and your needs, I have the VW Monster ( rubber mats ) on top of the carpet ones.
5# Take a look at Saddle Blanket Material, I've used this in older trucks for years and even the dogs can't harm it !
Some Outdoor Outfitters offer H.D. covers, might want to take a look as to what type of materiel they use.
Stop by a local Automotive Upholstery Shop, they might have some old stock of H.D. material and might even give
you a few pointers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vbrad, thanks for the input it’s V6 with 20’s
Thanks for answering I absolutely agree that this is overkill. I admit I’m looking for extra projects to work on in the garage during this whole ‘stay at home’ mostly to kill time and stay out of my wife’s hair. Love the car and thanks for your suggestions.

MrAtlas, also thank you for taking time to help. This really helped narrow my focus this is a great forum. I’ll post an update with progress made based upon your suggestions thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vbrad, thanks for the input it’s V6 with 20’s
Thanks for answering I absolutely agree that this is overkill. I admit I’m looking for extra projects to work on in the garage during this whole ‘stay at home’ mostly to kill time and stay out of my wife’s hair. Love the car and thanks for your suggestions.
Of course, and no problem. I applaud your efforts lol.
So having the 20's will definitely make the ride a little louder/rougher and I don't think the OEM tires help any like Mr. Atlas suggested.
That was one thing I noticed right away when we got the car.
We have the 2.0T so I can't comment on any V6 noises you may be hearing, although a common "issue" with the Atlas is the noisy transmission at times.

·
Registered
36 Posts
#1: Me personally I don't really hear that noise or I may tend to tune it out when I'm in the car so might not really notice the noises you hear. I installed some roof rails and that wind noise bothered me for like a week now I don't really mind it all. Stripping the car down seems like a huge job you could offset some of that noise with an intake and exhaust system if you wanna hear the rumble of the engine which in theory should be louder then the other noises.

#2: Not sure exactly whats reflecting but in any case save the headache just vinyl wrap it, I did that on my Accord. Chrome in interior should be banned if the sun hits it just right while your driving it can really impair your vision and could be very dangerous.

#3:I agree just getting it tinted.

#4: WeatherTech or Husky, whenever I get a car that is usually the first thing that I purchase for it. Save so much time when it comes to cleaning the car.

#5: I'm lucky right now cause both of my kids are in the baby age so car seats keeps the mess contained to their seats but hoping someone can make a decent car seat cover in the next few years specifically for the Atlas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 ATLAS SE WITH TECH

Just purchased off the lot, and within first 1,000 miles there are some serious issues!

This car is very loud on the road. There is a lot of noise from the wheels, the motor, the roof, and the side beams. When I'm driving this car on the highway I can hear a symphony of the engine chortling, beams vibrating, wind whistling, and wheels quavering.

Solution 1- Going to strip the interior and install Dynamat and other sound dampening/deadening tapes and mats. This can get pretty high in cost and I've had previous success in the past using roofing supplies to mitigate costs. I'll gut it. I'll have to remove seats, paneling, and headboard and install dampening material to make this thing quiet. I got my nissan altima pretty quiet: it almost sounds like I'm driving in coffin. This may never be possible with an Atlas but this is first on my to-do list. Any advice will help.

The steering wheel has a reflective black/ glossy material above the controls that constantly shines the sun in my eyes. I live in a very sunny place. This is driving me, as Charlie Brown would say, NUTS!

Solution 2- I really don't want to disassemble a steering wheel, and am hoping I can use my wife's nail polish brushes to apply a non reflective paint that is very durable., Any advice would be HIGHLY appreciated.

The sun roof visor is only a thin cloth. The window is tinted but the cloth does not help and its way too sunny inside the car!

Solution 3- I want to sew an opaque liner into the cloth underneath the sunroof. I do not how this will affect the functionality of the visor and sun roof operations so I am very reluctant and want anybody's advice!!!

Kids making a mess! And not only kids but I also drag a fair bit of dirt into car and the stock mats only cover a small fraction of the floor. I do not want to spend hours vacuuming.

Solution 4-
I'm going to buy the Weathertech Floor Mats. I am also buying plastic carpet tape that movers use. I will lay down the movers tape then put the floor liners on top. I'm pretty sure the movers tape will have to be replaced every year or two but it comes in a very large roll and may even help with the road noise. I wish cars just had removable carpet so I could unplug the drains and hose the sucker down.

Problem 5- SEAT COVERS?
Kids making a mess again, but now on the seats. I do not want to pay a king's ransom for top line seat covers, and would love to do this project with my kids so they learn to rule of hard work and respect which will hopefully impress a lesson upon them to not desecrate this new car.
Solution 5-
I have sewing templates for universal seat covers and am going to buy a cheap poly/cotton fabric and make my own (teach kids how to use a sewing machine). I've tried this before, and failed. I think I can do it better this time. Even more so, I have purchased the expensive seat liners and they disintegrate too (only slightly longer in time). Any suggestions on materials are appreciated.

Thanks for reading and please don't hold back and give me the best advice/ criticisms.

This was only my first test spin and I've not gotten into the nuts and bolts yet, but there will undoubtebly be more to follow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you not test drive the car before buying? I sold a 2014 Porsche Cayenne and bought the Atlas Top Model with 20” wheels. It is no noisier than the Cayenne or the Q7 we had before the Cayenne. I have no complaints, love the car and so does my wife. Looked at Q7, X5 and another Cayenne. To me it was no contest and savings ranging from $20k to $30k. Regarding the sunroof, I would simply have a good ceramic tint installed. It will immediately reduce the radiant heat better than any insulation you can add. Also, if you are looking to reduce noise the weather tech Matt’s will only add noise. Good product but will only reflect sound. Better choice is Coco Mats, Rock Hill SC. Had them in the last 4 cars I’ve had. Look classic and keep dirt and mud contained. Good luck on tearing out the whole interior.

·
Registered
37 Posts
#5: I'm lucky right now cause both of my kids are in the baby age so car seats keeps the mess contained to their seats but hoping someone can make a decent car seat cover in the next few years specifically for the Atlas.
If they eat in the car, you may be quite surprised at how nasty your seats MAY be when you take them out.
Although my 2yo is obviously in a car seat, the amount of stuff she still gets on the ACTUAL seat is ridiculous lol.

·
Registered
'19 Atlas SE R-Line
22 Posts
Keep in mind that Dynamat is a vibration dampening material, not a sound proofing/sound reducing material. While the reduction in road based vibration may lead to a lower noise floor, there are other products that are made specifically for sound reduction

·
Registered
7 Posts
2019 ATLAS SE WITH TECH

solution sunglasses and window tint I live in Az and it’s fine with neither

Solution 4-

Problem 5- SEAT COVERS?
Solution 5-

Karen should have bought a different car!

·
Registered
64 Posts
2019 ATLAS SE WITH TECH

Solution 4-

Problem 5- SEAT COVERS?
Solution 5-

I drive a mini van and a Jeep. My Atlas is pretty hush hush. But I opted for the better radio system, the fender sound system. So I just crank it up. but compared to the other cars. It's pretty quiet. My last trip was 2800 miles. Not one complain about road noise. And you didn't have to yell in order to for the other person to hear you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
coming from a coffin i'd bet its loud ;) coming from a 2011 buick enclave it does seem a bit louder but not by much...buick windshield and front windows are acoustic but only windshield is acoustic on the atlas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't find my v6 on 20's to be loud. I know there are issues with side mirrors and door trim causing wind noise for some owners. This can be addressed by the service department. There may even be service bulletins.

I wouldn't mess with the sunshade. I believe it rolls up in the rear and extra material could easily be a problem. Tinting the roof is much safer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Continental 20's are quiet. Check air pressure and it could be a defective tire. I would get another opinion before i spent another thousand dollars on tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel my 2019 Atlas is pretty quiet on country roads, but on the highway, I agree the road noise is loud
If you ever implement your Solution 1 (Going to strip the interior and install Dynamat and other sound dampening/deadening tapes and mats).
Wow! I'd like to hear how that went. Sounds way too tough for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts