Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon folks!

First, this community has an incredible amount of information. Thank you for all of it!

I have a question. My local dealer is saying that they can install a brake controller but that it will cost me $400+ taxes. I was advised that the controller itself is around $100 but it takes a few hours to wire everything. On this forum I saw that the wiring is ready to be connected to a brake controller. Could my local service guy be mistaken? I have a 2019 Atlas with the 3.6L engine and 4 motion. Factory installed hitch. I will be purchasing the 7 pin connector from them and my camper weighs 3500 lbs dry.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Andrew

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are you sure you have electric brakes on the camper? I used to tow a sailboat that weighed 5500 lbs with a Toyota 4Runner and the boat trailer had surge brakes. Are you sure you need it? Electric brakes on a 3500 lb camper seems like overkill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

There are indeed electric brakes on it. Also, the Atlas manual states that in order to pull the 5000 lbs you need to have electric brakes on the trailer in question.Now i doubt the braking capacity is anything special...

I'm just trying to double check that I can plug in any normal brake controller under the dash and that my local VW dealer is mistaken about having to pass a bunch of wires and it not cost me $400!

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
331 Posts
OK. Here is my opinion. First of all, things that could effect the safety of me and my family, I go with a professional and I expect a professional installation. You don't want something to happen because someone didn't do a proper job and it caused something to fail and you end up paying twice and happen away from home.
That being said, you might want to find a local trailer shop and see what they say about the difficulty and cost. I can't believe that the dealer should have to run any wiring, other than maybe a harness in a vehicle that comes with factory towing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. But the service department said it takes several hours and they need to run wiring..I don't think they are very at ease with trailer brake module installations. He said the brake controller is $100 and labour is $300.

And I agree, I always get it done right..I'm just mystified by this! Other threads on the forum say it's plug and play with a wiring adapter and the dealership says I need to run wires.

I'll dig into this a bit more.

A

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sooo. I went to the dealer today to get my tires put on. I found out why they charge so much; they MAKE the adapter harness and have only done it once so it takes them 2-3 hours....

Tada!
A

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good afternoon folks!

First, this community has an incredible amount of information. Thank you for all of it!

I have a question. My local dealer is saying that they can install a brake controller but that it will cost me $400+ taxes. I was advised that the controller itself is around $100 but it takes a few hours to wire everything. On this forum I saw that the wiring is ready to be connected to a brake controller. Could my local service guy be mistaken? I have a 2019 Atlas with the 3.6L engine and 4 motion. Factory installed hitch. I will be purchasing the 7 pin connector from them and my camper weighs 3500 lbs dryl.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Take a look at etrailer.com. Our son got his trailer hook ups from them and is very happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon folks!

I have a question. My local dealer is saying that they can install a brake controller but that it will cost me $400+ taxes. I was advised that the controller itself is around $100 but it takes a few hours to wire everything. On this forum I saw that the wiring is ready to be connected to a brake controller. Could my local service guy be mistaken? I have a 2019 Atlas with the 3.6L engine and 4 motion. Factory installed hitch. I will be purchasing the 7 pin connector from them and my camper weighs 3500 lbs dry.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

check out this thread.....https://www.vwatlasforum.com/threads/trailer-hitch-atlas.1530/.....
You can buy a plug and play harness off of ebay for $60 for a tekonsha brake controller. Which you can get off of amazon for around $70, and on the thread, a guy posted a video of how to access the wiring that is already installed from the factory if you have the tow package. So for under $150, you can do it yourself. Also, you can hardwire the brake controller in and not buy the harness off of ebay since the tekonsha website says to hardwire it to the Atlas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. But the service department said it takes several hours and they need to run wiring..I don't think they are very at ease with trailer brake module installations. He said the brake controller is $100 and labour is $300.

And I agree, I always get it done right..I'm just mystified by this! Other threads on the forum say it's plug and play with a wiring adapter and the dealership says I need to run wires.

I'll dig into this a bit more.

A
1) The Atlas is prewired for a brake controller, although they hide the connection behind the front driver panel where the hood release lever is.
2) You can buy the plug and play adapter (from atlas pre wired plug to brake controller) on ebay for $60.
3) Total install = 10 minutes
4) Total cost depends on your controller but I bought a Tekonsha P3 for $130 + the plug and play adapter for $60 = $190

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you pay a link to that adapter on eBay? The one that goes from the brake controller to the factory wiring plug? I couldn't find it. Also, oddly enough VW doesn't sell it, or at least the parts guy I spoke with couldn't find it outside of the entire brake controller kit from VW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts