Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Atlas; Is it common to have 5"-10" puddle of water condensation on the ground below the main exhaust chamber just under the rear bumper? Had the car since Oct. 2018 and this happens everyday.

I brought it into the VW dealership and they said it was normal condensation: seems a little excessive to me (never had this issues on any other cars I've owned, even a VW Jetta 10yrs ago)

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this same issue with a Chevy SUV I use to own. never caused a problem. At one point I put a plastic container under it for a day to collect the fluid to measure the amount and make sure its water. If it's water- I wouldn't worry about it- for some reason some cars just produce more condensation from Ac/heat systems and even exhaust.

There was a recall on Atlas for AC water leak, but that affected the air bags.

I think you should try to collect it and measure it for a few days, often a puddle on concrete looks like way more fluid than it is

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my 2018 Atlas; Is it common to have 5"-10" puddle of water condensation on the ground below the main exhaust chamber just under the rear bumper? Had the car since Oct. 2018 and this happens everyday.

I brought it into the VW dealership and they said it was normal condensation: seems a little excessive to me (never had this issues on any other cars I've owned, even a VW Jetta 10yrs ago)

Any comments would be appreciated.
I got mine the same time in 2018. Mine does the same and later found out that this water condensation from the muffler being released. You will see that on short drives where the car would not have had the time to heat up for the water to evaporate. When you drive it for a while and stop you will not see it. So with short trips you will see it and with long trips you will not.

Reactions: Brmgt04ap

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As several owners have noted this is entirely normal, so long as it is just water that's accumulating on the ground. It will be even more pronounced if you've been preheating the car in the driveway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The condensation will change as the weather does so although its weird, you'll get use to seeing it. Even from other vehicles on the road when they take off from a stand still.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Never measured the amount of condensation coming from an exhaust, but it sounds normal. You are always going to see this on a cold start-up. There is also some water in the exhaust system but once its warm it expels as a vapor rather than a liquid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think even seeing some excessive white smoke from the exhaust goes with it too and from my experience that hasn't signaled any issues to be worried about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts