Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Atlas has 16000 miles and got CEL on today with P2099 code - Post Catalyst Fuel trim System too rich Bank2. I had Catalytic converter replaced 6 months ago after CAL with "P0420 code - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1". I got appointment setup with dealer for Thursday, so will find out what's wrong. Does anyone got this error few months after replacing catalytic converter.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I've read of folks having them replaced more than once...not really sure what the issue is with these VW cats!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CEL turned off by itself after 2 days, so will not be taking it to dealer tomorrow, but wait for it to turn on again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2019 ATLAS got Check Engine Light ON since 1200KM till now 21000KM, went back to dealer almost every month since March. I own the OBD11 so I now the code was P2099 and P2097.... Replace 2 O2 sensor and Catalytic converter but the CEL still ON. Dealer claim that I need a "SOFTWARE UPDATE" from VW but still under develop !

BTW, I have check with dealer if I omit the CEL error and didn't go back to dealer.Will this infect the warranty ? Their answer is YES !!!!
I am lucky that VW dealer only 5 minutes away from my home, so I report to them every month, scan the code, erase the code and get a cup of coffee every month !

I think VW Canada just don't care of this issue because only a few ATLAS have this problem (at least in this forum, not more than 20 vehicles have this issue, right ?)
I am a software engineer for 30 years and I know this is impossible, assume all ATLAS have same hardware. How comes only a few ATLAS have issues and can be solve by a software update ?

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
My 2019 ATLAS got Check Engine Light ON since 1200KM till now 21000KM, went back to dealer almost every month since March. I own the OBD11 so I now the code was P2099 and P2097.... Replace 2 O2 sensor and Catalytic converter but the CEL still ON. Dealer claim that I need a "SOFTWARE UPDATE" from VW but still under develop !

BTW, I have check with dealer if I omit the CEL error and didn't go back to dealer.Will this infect the warranty ? Their answer is YES !!!!
I am lucky that VW dealer only 5 minutes away from my home, so I report to them every month, scan the code, erase the code and get a cup of coffee every month !

I think VW Canada just don't care of this issue because only a few ATLAS have this problem (at least in this forum, not more than 20 vehicles have this issue, right ?)
I am a software engineer for 30 years and I know this is impossible, assume all ATLAS have same hardware. How comes only a few ATLAS have issues and can be solve by a software update ?
A few things. Firstly, in the U.S., you would not impact your warranty if the manufacturer can't sort an issue like this requiring you to come in all the time to clear it. Clear the code yourself and drive it, you have a record of the issue. You aren't hurting a thing by driving it this way, it's just a CEL. My understanding of the reason you need a software update to deal with the cat/02 issue is efficiency-related. The software is looking for info from the O2 sensor that isn't able to be produced by the vehicle with the hardware (cats) that have been installed. I have read of plenty with the bad-cat issue and some similar to yours where they can't seem to fix it by replacing the cats. Have you contacted VW corporate about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, here is the VW Canada official reply:
We in Customer Care do not have a staff of trained technicians and would not be able to advise the nature of your vehicle concern or provide any technical suggestions. We rely on our factory-trained technicians at our authorized dealerships to diagnose and resolve concerns such as the one you have outlined. At this point, we can only suggest that you contact the dealership to book an appointment for a diagnosis and any necessary repairs.

I do owned OBD11 scanner and scan the vehicle since the first CEL happened, but I kept these reports until the dealer replace the O2 sensor and cat.
When the CEL on again, dealer told me that they can't found the problem, I show them my reports. There still have P2099, P2097, P2096 existed.
After few attempt, they still can not figure out what's going wrong, so they said I should waiting for a "SOFTWARE UPDATE".

Dealer won't accept the OBD11 reports because they insist they have better diagnostic equipment. They more care about "did you clear the code by yourself ?".
So I ask them if I clear the code, will this affect the warranty ? They said YES !

VW Canada said I should go back to dealer and dealer said I should wait for a software update from VW Canada. So this is a endless loop.

I should be happy that the CEL is the only issue I have (compare the other person in this forum) and the VW dealer only 5 minutes away from my home.
So I go the dealer every month, scan the code, clear the code then have a cup of coffee. Take me 45 minutes only.
I seriously consider that I should book a regular appoint every month since the CEL will ON every month.

As I mention before, I am a software engineer but I am also major in Electronic engineering. I know the O2 sensor collect the waste gas before and after the cat and translate into voltage level then send to ECU. The ECU use this information to control the air flow, injection......... to improve the fuel efficiency.
But I still got 8km per liter in hwy.

Anyway, I don't care about fuel efficiency, the only hope for this vehicle is "reduce the times to visit VW dealer".

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Clearly then you need to work through the system or try another dealer...hate to say it but at this point I don't see what else you can do. Bummer. I know some have had their cats replaced multiple times to deal with the reoccurring CEL and it sounds like that is the answer. I would still contact VW and open a case which could help your cause by having their regional quality folks work with the dealer. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my first CEL on for P0420 code back in March (8700 miles) this year, and it turned off and on by itself until dealer changed the Catalytic converter in June (11000 miles). One time it was off for almost 3 months before June. Now after 6 months and at 16600 miles, it turned on for different code P2099 (post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank2). it turned off after staying on for 2 days and now it's off for last 4 days. The reason we don't hear many stories like this on this forum is because car owner's have to sign a non disclosure agreement with Volkswagen, once Volkswagen either refund their money back or give them new car under Lemon law. The people stop complaining after they sign this agreement, so we don't hear much from them. I had communication with someone on this forum who had same catalytic converter issue and later ended up in engine failure. The VW gave him new car and non disclosure prevents him from sharing it with forum.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
I had my first CEL on for P0420 code back in March (8700 miles) this year, and it turned off and on by itself until dealer changed the Catalytic converter in June (11000 miles). One time it was off for almost 3 months before June. Now after 6 months and at 16600 miles, it turned on for different code P2099 (post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank2). it turned off after staying on for 2 days and now it's off for last 4 days. The reason we don't hear many stories like this on this forum is because car owner's have to sign a non disclosure agreement with Volkswagen, once Volkswagen either refund their money back or give them new car under Lemon law. The people stop complaining after they sign this agreement, so we don't hear much from them. I had communication with someone on this forum who had same catalytic converter issue and later ended up in engine failure. The VW gave him new car and non disclosure prevents him from sharing it with forum.
Not so sure there...forums/FB pages FILLED with folks discussing their buy backs and lemon law suits...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess most of the discussions about lemon law buy backs are before VW approves their claim. I found out that they can not legally discuss their case after VW ask them to sign NDA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts