Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
so this is the 2nd winter with the Atlas, last winter didn't drive it all that much, so didn't know/notice this issue, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
When I remote start the car, the lights for the two front seat warmer come up so I assume the seats are supposed to be warmed up, but even after 5 mins or so when I get in the car the seats are still pretty cold. If I start the car normally and turn on the seat warmer, the seats can get warmed up rather quickly(I would say within the first couple of minutes), so not sure if this is normal or anyone else experienced the same....

·
Registered
36 Posts
My remote start only seems to set the seat warmer at level 2 of 3 when I remote start. This is probably to prevent the electrics from overheating, as 3 of 3 can get rather hot, rather quickly. As such, I have noticed that the seat is not necessarily warm, after 5 minutes, but it's also not icy cold. After I get in and get the car turned on the rest of the way, the seats warm up faster than a normal garage start, so I assume the seat warmers pre-heat at least a bit more than a true cold start.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe you can adjust the remote start level with an OBD tool. But I'm pretty sure the default is level 2.
As far as it not feeling warm, I'm wondering if it is just the nature of the heater. Without your weight pushing down on it, the heat transmission to the surface isn't as "direct" but when you are sitting on it your body is pressed against the heating elements thus making it feel warmer on the surface. If the passenger seat heater is on with no passenger, when you feel the surface it doesn't really feel hot to me. But if I am sitting on it it sure does.

·
Registered
97 Posts
W
Hi guys,
so this is the 2nd winter with the Atlas, last winter didn't drive it all that much, so didn't know/notice this issue, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
When I remote start the car, the lights for the two front seat warmer come up so I assume the seats are supposed to be warmed up, but even after 5 mins or so when I get in the car the seats are still pretty cold. If I start the car normally and turn on the seat warmer, the seats can get warmed up rather quickly(I would say within the first couple of minutes), so not sure if this is normal or anyone else experienced the same....
I purchased my Atlas outright so I'm thinking about investing in one of the OBD tools/software. I almost got one when I had a 2013 Passat TDi but wife didn't want me to BRICK the car LOL. But the option you want to change can be done. Here's a link to a write up about using the above device/software to achieve your goal. FWIW, I live in Michigan. Gets a little chilly here from time to time. Car only has 9k on it at the moment (we drive it on trips, last trip was 2800 miles round trip) but in the few times I brought it out into the sunshine, remote starting it turned on the driver heated seat, steering wheel and of course, the defrosters/heater. If I'm correct, using MY keep fob sets the HVAC to my settings. Can't be 100% sure since I don't drive the car locally to much but once when I started it with the wife's fob, I kind remember thinking about why would BOTH seats be on. I guess I just expect the driver side to be on. My Passat did the same thing. Only the driver side would be on. I do know the 2011 Chrysler minivan that I have, only the driver side heated seat, steering wheel, front and rear defrosters and heated mirrors activate though it has heated seats in the front and middle row, just like the Atlas. We are waiting for a snow storm tonight, otherwise, I'd pull it out of the garage and test it. You got me wondering if it's a standard setting, or if setting it up per key fob controls whats on or not during remote start in cold weather. Still on the fence about getting a ODB setup. I love tweaking things. It's my IT nature I guess but scares the wife to death ;-)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok. I verified at lunch. BOTH front seats come on and they are set at level 2 (of 3). And I also verified (thought the garage door was open) that my Co detector WORKS! **** thing went off in like 5 seconds after starting the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, both seat heaters come on, but I believe it may default back to the previous setting once you start the vehicle. I've noticed it ON, but then after I drive for a bit I've noticed it was off. I need to investigate further.
I have the OBDeleven tool and I love the customization. Worth the $80 and easy to use. You can adjust the default climate control settings and the remote start settings. Even the temps at which to run the defroster etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts