Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate our 2018 Atlas and yesterday just confirmed another reason to hate it more. We have had numerous issues with our Atlas. Sunday my husband hit a curb going less than 5 mph. The tie rods bent and of course the car is out of ailment. We took it in to our dealer to fix. They cannot give us a complete estimate of all the damages until they start working on it. To begin with the bent inner and outer tie rods on the right front wheel are going to cost $1100 to replace. That doesn't include any other damage that might have been done. I am not sure how you could ever use this car "off terrain". The bigger problem, VW has a national back order of these tie rods. What? The dealer has no estimated time when the part will be available. It could be two weeks, it could be two months. We cannot drive the car. Talk about frustrating. What kind of car manufacturing doesn't have parts available? We should have stuck with a Honda, they don't lose value and they take care of their customers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hate our 2018 Atlas and yesterday just confirmed another reason to hate it more. We have had numerous issues with our Atlas. Sunday my husband hit a curb going less than 5 mph. The tie rods bent and of course the car is out of ailment. We took it in to our dealer to fix. They cannot give us a complete estimate of all the damages until they start working on it. To begin with the bent inner and outer tie rods on the right front wheel are going to cost $1100 to replace. That doesn't include any other damage that might have been done. I am not sure how you could ever use this car "off terrain". The bigger problem, VW has a national back order of these tie rods. What? The dealer has no estimated time when the part will be available. It could be two weeks, it could be two months. We cannot drive the car. Talk about frustrating. What kind of car manufacturing doesn't have parts available? We should have stuck with a Honda, they don't lose value and they take care of their customers.
If their is a rush just buy after market tie rods, you can sometimes purchase them in a complete set with the ball joints, tie rods and end links I would just buy the set to be safe and would be much cheaper compared to OEM.

I have always been skeptical on the "Off Road" feature on this vehicle and personally would never use it that feature without modifying the whole suspension to off road purposed material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If their is a rush just buy after market tie rods, you can sometimes purchase them in a complete set with the ball joints, tie rods and end links I would just buy the set to be safe and would be much cheaper compared to OEM.

I have always been skeptical on the "Off Road" feature on this vehicle and personally would never use it that feature without modifying the whole suspension to off road purposed material.
the car is at the VW dealer. It's not safe to drive. Would the dealer replace with non OEM parts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car is at the VW dealer. It's not safe to drive. Would the dealer replace with non OEM parts?
ha ha...i meant off road. I would never try to take this off road. It seems like the littlest bump takes the **** car out of alignment, and it can only be aligned at the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me personally I'm not a fan of dealerships and would never take my car for service to them unless it was a recall notice. I highly doubt that they would swap the parts to non OEM but I was just suggesting that you could purchase the parts yourself or if your hesitant to do that take the car to a shop (non-dealership) and just have the mechanic quote you on everything I'm sure you would save at minimum 25% compared to "stealerships".

I wish I could tell you how difficult the suspension work would be to give you an idea of what to expect to pay but I have not touched my suspension yet. I was planning on putting a leveling kit down the road on it but would rather get new wheels first.

ha ha...i meant off road. I would never try to take this off road. It seems like the littlest bump takes the **** car out of alignment, and it can only be aligned at the dealer.
We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I never even took that off road just cause I know the strain it causes on parts and reduces their life span. I have not seen anything on the suspension that would be difficult for any other shop to do an alignment on so don't bother having them do the alignment any shop should be able to do it like NTB (they have plans for unlimited alignments and tire rotations).

·
Super Moderator
335 Posts
Being angry about the parts on back-order - I get it. You may be able to source them somewhere else. Being angry that your husband hit a curb and damaged it - well, that's just car ownership. We have no idea how hard the hit was or how high the curb was. The Atlas is effectively a large VW Golf - it's a lifted car and not meant for much more than light-offroad duty..plenty of videos on YouTube of folks taking them offroad in modest conditions. Hard direct hits aren't good for any vehicle. Good luck and I hope you can find those tie rods!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts