Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Atlas SEL V6 AWD. My wife and I love the vehicle so far. The question I had was on its ability to go off-road. I live in NJ by the shore and there is a state park where you can purchase a pass to drive on the beach and surf fish or swim. I am wondering if this vehicle would be capable of driving through sand (some of it pretty soft) before getting to the packed stuff closer to the water? Has anyone had any experience with off-road capability and to what level? Has anyone taken their Atlas into sand? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Atlas SEL V6 AWD. My wife and I love the vehicle so far. The question I had was on its ability to go off-road. I live in NJ by the shore and there is a state park where you can purchase a pass to drive on the beach and surf fish or swim. I am wondering if this vehicle would be capable of driving through sand (some of it pretty soft) before getting to the packed stuff closer to the water? Has anyone had any experience with off-road capability and to what level? Has anyone taken their Atlas into sand? Thanks in advance.
Theres a youtube video of someone doing a review with it offroad and in sand check it out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Shore Jersea, I live in Manchester Township. If you are talking about Island Beach State Park, you are good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shore Jersea, I live in Manchester Township. If you are talking about Island Beach State Park, you are good to go.
That’s it. I’m in Toms River. Seriously considering buying a pass now. I have watched some of the vehicles that have made it out there and figured my Atlas could do it but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That’s it. I’m in Toms River. Seriously considering buying a pass now. I have watched some of the vehicles that have made it out there and figured my Atlas could do it but wanted to be sure. Thanks.
You can't drive on the dunes, so as long as you stay where everyone drives, you will be OK. The beach driving is for the fishermen and there requirements listed to drive on the web site, so don't go just with your flip flops and beach towels.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I used to drive my Toyota truck out on the beach at Brigantine to go surfing - nice beaches there in NJ!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts