Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
That is likely coolant - I know it shoudl be pink but after it leaks like that it will appear in color to be similar to oil. That's likely the water pump leaking. I had mine replaced with the exact same issue/look to the fluid. Fixed under warranty. You are still under warranty so in to the dealer you go!

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
I'll concede to your expertise but the circled area to the right of the image looks like the leak is above the water pump pulley which is directly above the AC Compressor pulley at the bottom center of the image. I maintain that it's oil. Hope the OP updates after he (hopefully) lets the dealer look at it.
Could be but that's exactly where mine was leaking from and I told my guy at the dealer it had an oil leak and when I got it back he noted that it's often confused for oil but it was the water pump.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
Is that warranty transferable to a new owner? fwiw, for anyone else considering buying a used Atlas (or any VW) from a dealer, buy the 2-year warranty. I am so glad we did. We had to replace the AC compressor and the driver's door lock assembly. The AC compressor replacement alone was almost $1500 once labour and taxes were figured in. Only thing we found it didn't cover was the battery replacement.
Manufacturer's warranties always follow the vehicle for all brands here in the U.S.

On the dealer-sold warranties...always just a math question of cost vs. risk. I never buy them but your results may vary obviously and some folks make out with them. On my Golf Sportwagen, it would have saved me nearly $4K for a timing chain issue. That's the first time in my life I ever would have "won" with an extended/additional warranty. In the end, I'm ahead overall not buying them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts