Volkswagen Atlas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I just bought a pre owned VW Atlas 2018 model 3.6 V6 from a VW dealer which had come off of a lease. The truck was in great shape and had only 50,000 KMS (31000 Miles) and was selling at a decent price so I bought it. I have driven it around 1000 Kms since i bought it (approx 1 Month in) and over the weekend I noticed 3 small drops of a brownish liquid on the ground, on the left side (if your facing the front). I raised the vehicle up with a jack and couldnt see much due to the protective shield covering the bottom. I put my camera through one of the holes at the bottom and tried taking a picture of where the leak could be coming from. The SUV does not have any engine light etc on and since that day i havent seen any other leak. Does anyone have an idea of what this is? is it an oil leak or coolant leak? I have attached a photo.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is likely coolant - I know it shoudl be pink but after it leaks like that it will appear in color to be similar to oil. That's likely the water pump leaking. I had mine replaced with the exact same issue/look to the fluid. Fixed under warranty. You are still under warranty so in to the dealer you go!
Sadly the warranty that the dealer gave was only 30 days and I bought the car Sept 27th. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what can be done. Now I’m regretting not taking this 2 year warranty for $2000 grand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll concede to your expertise but the circled area to the right of the image looks like the leak is above the water pump pulley which is directly above the AC Compressor pulley at the bottom center of the image. I maintain that it's oil. Hope the OP updates after he (hopefully) lets the dealer look at it.
Thank you both for the info and advice, I’ll update y’all after I see the dealer. I hope this isn’t going to be too pricey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts