1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
111 Posts
VW will be recalling approximately 6,322 models because of an issue with the rear coil springs. This issue affects both 2019 and 2018 MY's of the Atlas. They believe the springs could break or fracture, resulting in damage to the rear end loss of vehicle control. The number for the recall is 42J2/42J3 and you can reach out to your dealer to confirm if your model is implicated. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/volkswagen-recalls-atlas-golf-sportwagen-and-jetta-vehicles-021819.html

Not all the 6,322 are Atlas: here is what they said "VW is recalling 6,322 model year 2018-2019 Atlas, model year 2015 Golf SportWagen, and model year 2019 Jetta vehicles."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its starting to seem like VW did not do adequate QA on the Atlas or there were just some very overlooked production batches. While its good that most of the recalls they have sent out have been prior to any accidents on injuries, this doesn't bode well for buyers still deciding between a new 3 row SUV. Lets hope the repairs aren't waiting on a backlog of parts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its starting to seem like VW did not do adequate QA on the Atlas or there were just some very overlooked production batches. While its good that most of the recalls they have sent out have been prior to any accidents on injuries, this doesn't bode well for buyers still deciding between a new 3 row SUV. Lets hope the repairs aren't waiting on a backlog of parts.
Mine was one of the last 2018 Atlas made. I have checked and my Atlas is not on the list. Now come to the issue of the springs, every one knows that many of the parts are done by other suppliers and my bet that a certain bad batch of springs made by one the suppliers was delivered to VW for install. I doubt that any manufacturer does a QA check on every part that is delivered and only does spot checks and this recall came out of that. I give it to VW for being aggressive by doing a recall and not just working it in the background. It sure looks like VW is being extra vigilant in its recalls after the diesel gate and will do a recall even on a few. Unlike Ford that seems it does not want to do a recall on their Explorers for fumes leaking into them and are just doing a customer satisfaction campaign instead.

·
Registered
241 Posts
At this point I think VW knows its all about damage control because the Atlas has flaws that scare away most people I know.
Instead they've gone to save havens like the Pilot and Highlander and I can't blame them.
Now it seems American automakers are stepping in for some of the action, one being the new Blazer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree that a lot of people fail to realize that a lot of components on new vehicles are outsourced to other companies. With the high volume production of models like the Atlas, there is just no way they would have the time to test each of these parts individually. While the number of recalls we've seen on this car may be a warning light to some, I think it shows VW's dedication to delivering a solid product.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Recalls of bad parts = the new norm for car manufacturers

I came from Ford, whose new slogan is "deny there is a problem, wait for the class action lawsuit, then we won't have to fix as many cars.

Ford Explorer - numerous exaust fumes in the cabin issues, ford - there is no problem

My reason to ditch my last car? Lug nuts. Yup, lug nuts. I had a Fusion with 60,000 miles and my tire shop couldn't get my lug nuts off - had to tow to the dealer. How come they couldn't get them off? Because Ford, decided that galvanized steel lugnuts look prettier with aluminum caps. Problem is, basic science shows Steel+Aluminum+Water = Corrosion. Had to replace all of the lug nuts on a 60,000 mile car, that had all the tires rotated at the dealer less than 3k prior.

Ford made a million of these defective lug nuts, known about the problem with the early batch years since at least 2013, guess what - they still keep sending cars out with them. Parties in 18 states are part of a class action lawsuit for this issue.

I have been lucky, my Atlas has only had the battery issue, something I consider under-engineered - OEM battery is puny for this size vehicle and should have been a larger battery designed for this car. I do recognize it as a side effect of the start-stop systems being mandated by the powers that be in the USA. Long term question will be, will all the battery waste that comes of the start stop emissions prevention keep us from actually saving total enviomental costs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most automakers would rather release a product with known issues rather than delay the launch to address them. Its also worth keeping in mind that a lot of problems don't present themselves until they hit the mass market, because they aren't seen on smaller scale internal testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Atlas SE with TECH made December 2018 went
to the NHTSA recall website no recalls at all for mine by VIN #
also looked by year make and model # and both 2018 and 2019
which came up NO RESULTS FOUND

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hate that with VW, issues are all too common, even in new vehicles. It's like some hard truth you have to accept before deciding to buy. If VW keeps this up i'm not sure how much longer they can last. Fortunately faith in the Atlas has been rather high.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hate that with VW, issues are all too common, even in new vehicles. It's like some hard truth you have to accept before deciding to buy. If VW keeps this up i'm not sure how much longer they can last. Fortunately faith in the Atlas has been rather high.
Unfortunately this applies to every auto manufacturer. I highly doubt VW will not last after all it is the largest car manufacturer in the world. I have seen Mercedes', BMWs, Lexus', Hondas, Toyotas have issues too. Also don't forget the Kias and Hyundais that were the worst in the market and they all lasted. Look at Ford, the Fix Or Repair Daily and it is still there. One thing I give VW is that they are aggressive in their TSBs and recalls and having longer terms warrantee will cost them if they don't put their issues upfront and they seem to be doing so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts